Menu

Computer Games and Console Games?

Azalea

We have an old playstation and wii. What console system is "cool" now? Any thoughts on fun computer games - one of my kids prefers computer games. Any thoughts on console games that are fun? What do you and your kids enjoy playing? We need something new to play with friends.

OK, if you will take a comment  (not advice, lol) from a non-gamer…. It sounds although none of your dc has asked for a specific set up, and you do not know what system his/her friends have -- am I reading that correctly? The reason I mention it is that my ds's friends (few/none of whom were hard core gamers) pretty much stopped playing console games around middle school age, not "cool." Computer/iPad games are OK, but listening to music has supplanted games for a shared social activity in my ds's circle. YMMV.

• Like 1

We live in a extremely small town with no activities (even for P.S. kids) and the HSer's are all YEC, so we have to find our social outlet online.  I would have your children ask their friends what consoles they have and if they play online regularly.  DS plays with a group of boys (the boys are all friends IRL in another state) and it's been really good for him.  They're all a couple years older then he is but don't seem to care and are very accepting.  

DS and DD also play with their cousins and DH and his friends.

We are still using the XBOX 360, I'm not willing to upgrade 3 perfectly good consoles to the newest version, especially when all the friends/family are still using the 360.  You can get them for a decent price and a Gold account is needed to do most of the social/team gaming stuff (additional $60 per year).  The most popular games are FPS like Destiny.

We actually use the XBOXes for movie/TV watching more then gaming.  We cut the cable cord in 2009 when we got our first XBOX so the console has more then paid for itself.

For computer gaming DS uses Steam to download most of his games and other then Sims3, SimCity, and Civilization 5, I don't play games and have no idea what's hot right now.  I know that there are a lot more interesting games on the computer then on consoles and many are social/interactive.  DS finds games by watching YouTube videos of people playing the games.

• Like 4

DD13 and her friend spent the week playing on the WII - Rockband 3, Mario Party 5 and 8, a bunch of different Lego and Zelda games.

When my older kids come home, Super Smash Bros is the game that gets played every night.  They also play Lord of the Rings a bunch.

DS19 plays games on Steam.  Affordable and lots of online interaction with other players (he's 19 - he doesn't mind the language).  He plays lots of Hearthstone as well on his laptop.

• Like 1

OK, if you will take a comment  (not advice, lol) from a non-gamer…. It sounds although none of your dc has asked for a specific set up, and you do not know what system his/her friends have -- am I reading that correctly? The reason I mention it is that my ds's friends (few/none of whom were hard core gamers) pretty much stopped playing console games around middle school age, not "cool." Computer/iPad games are OK, but listening to music has supplanted games for a shared social activity in my ds's circle. YMMV.

You were reading that correctly!  Hmm, popular music, good idea. My two daughters are in to music, but my son hasn't shown much interest. Thanks so much for answering!

We live in a extremely small town with no activities (even for P.S. kids) and the HSer's are all YEC, so we have to find our social outlet online.  I would have your children ask their friends what consoles they have and if they play online regularly.  DS plays with a group of boys (the boys are all friends IRL in another state) and it's been really good for him.  They're all a couple years older then he is but don't seem to care and are very accepting.  

DS and DD also play with their cousins and DH and his friends.

We are still using the XBOX 360, I'm not willing to upgrade 3 perfectly good consoles to the newest version, especially when all the friends/family are still using the 360.  You can get them for a decent price and a Gold account is needed to do most of the social/team gaming stuff (additional $60 per year).  The most popular games are FPS like Destiny.

We actually use the XBOXes for movie/TV watching more then gaming.  We cut the cable cord in 2009 when we got our first XBOX so the console has more then paid for itself.

For computer gaming DS uses Steam to download most of his games and other then Sims3, SimCity, and Civilization 5, I don't play games and have no idea what's hot right now.  I know that there are a lot more interesting games on the computer then on consoles and many are social/interactive.  DS finds games by watching YouTube videos of people playing the games.

Your son sounds like mine. He also finds his games on Steam and plays online.  I can only hope that the people he plays with are a positive group. Thanks for responding! I will consider the XBOX 360.

Older teens here are playing DayZ on PC. Some are still playing COD on PS.

Music is the more popular shared social activity, whether its a garage band, karaoke, or open mic.

A few enjoy board games. Sports such as a pickup game of tennis at a community court or hiking is also popular.

I will look those games up. We also like hiking, but I never think of it as an activity to do with other teens, maybe we will try that. Thanks for your suggestions!

DD13 and her friend spent the week playing on the WII - Rockband 3, Mario Party 5 and 8, a bunch of different Lego and Zelda games.

When my older kids come home, Super Smash Bros is the game that gets played every night.  They also play Lord of the Rings a bunch.

DS19 plays games on Steam.  Affordable and lots of online interaction with other players (he's 19 - he doesn't mind the language).  He plays lots of Hearthstone as well on his laptop.

I will check out those Wii games, thanks for the suggestions!

My son also play games on Steam (he is now 15) I don't love the harsh language, but oh well. I will look up Hearthstone. Thanks!