Menu

Lukeion Latin 3A Syllabus

I was wondering if anyone has the syllabus for Latin 3A and was willing to share it with me.  I signed up my son for next year but with his processing issues I am beginning to doubt that decision.  On the other hand we have been very happy with Lukeion.  I would like to take a peek at the length of the assignments to see if we either have to drop it or rearrange his schedule to make time for it or come up with a different solution altogether.

Thanks!

We love Lukeion, but Latin 3 has been very time consuming -- 3 to 4 hours per day, including work on weekends. Dd studies for tests and NLE, works daily on translations; i.e. about 20 lines per day, and she is usually working on a Word Study paper and peer reviews. In addition, she has needed to review grammar.  Other students may not need this, but dd does in order to make good grades.

I'd see if you can set up a time to talk to Amy herself under those circumstances.  I wouldn't make a decision on the basis of the syllabus.

I had to do this because my oldest actually didn't pass the placement test for those coming from elsewhere to Latin 3.  We chatted about it, and he ended up in the class and did fine.  But he also needed 6-8 hours a week on the homework to do well, and it was a bit more than that in Latin 4.

We love Lukeion, but Latin 3 has been very time consuming -- 3 to 4 hours per day, including work on weekends. Other students may not need this, but dd does in order to make good grades. We've had to let go of other imp. work to focus on Latin. Feel free to pm.

:eek: 3-4 hours a day?? For one subject? Your poor dd.

I don't think Lukeion would ever be a good fit here, based on these kinds of posts. I appreciate knowing ahead of time what we would be getting ourselves into.

Hm, he hasn't studied for the NLE and rarely studies for a test.  He also has a huge vocabulary so I don't think the word studies will take up much of his time.  His translations take longer because he grapples with wanting to translate it as literal as possible but still have it sound like English.  He can spend an hour staring at the wall deciding on how to phrase a passage.  However, I have decided to leave it at five classes for this semester.  Thanks everybody.

Togo,

thanks for your input, it is very helpful.  My son is currently taking Dr. Fisher's Muse class along with Latin and will take Regan's history class next year as well.  Dr. Fisher's papers have been a wonderful.  He writes well but those papers had him thinking, not only where content is concerned but also the form.  In a way writing papers is how he communicates with others.  Discussions are frustrating for him because he is never fast enough to answer or add anything but he can work on a paper on his own time table.  For some odd reason he has no problem writing a paper but is very reticent with translations.  Maybe the issue is that one is his own words and the other isn't.  I will probably leave him in Latin 3; I looked at the 3B syllabus and that doesn't seem too bad, about 10 o 20 lines a day.  That is doable for him.