Menu

Violin Parents

DD5 started Suzuki violin about six weeks ago and we love it. My question is about teachers. We had three teacher options when we started looking: a local music school with a $3500 price tag and two private teachers. We jumped on the waiting lists for both private teachers but after communicating at length with each of them we discovered that "Teacher A" had a three-year wait list. We wanted to start now so when an open lesson materialized with "Teacher B" we took it. TB seems attentive to DDs technique and is moving thoughtfully through the material. I have felt well-prepared to coach at home. BUT, though I've never played violin I've taken many lessons in other things (I was an over-scheduled 80s baby) and I can tell that TB is a very good but maybe not Great teacher. My question is this: how much does it matter? I think that TB will teach my daughter well but both my husband and I still suspect that Teacher A would be the better option were she available. Should we stay on her waiting list? Is that rude to TB? Would it be hard for DD to switch teachers in a couple of years if she has established a good relationship with TB? Am I over thinking this?

Stay on the waiting list. The right teacher can make a huge difference, especially with strings IMHE. I agree that changing teachers is not all that strange in the music world. Many teachers know each other, work together, etc. and don't even find it that uncomfortable when students switch.

• Like 2

I agree with staying on the waiting list. Changing teachers is fairly common and a good teacher with the child's best interest in mind will recommend going to a better teacher when it is necessary for the student's development. When a spot opens up or prior, you may want to do a trial lesson with Teacher A to see how she interacts with you and your dd and attend one of Teacher A's studio recitals to see if her students technique is noticeably different than Teacher B's students. The most popular teacher may not always be the best fit for your child.

• Like 2