Menu

If your partner works nights/needs to sleep during the day...

LMD

What do you do? How do you keep the kids quiet (or do you not bother?) do you just go out everyday? Did your partner just get used to sleeping through noise?

Dh is a baker by trade. He's just started at a new place with more traditional hours, starting at midnight. I'm going crazy keeping the kids quiet, especially the toddler!

Tips! Throw em my way please!

DH works 3 to 1:45 a.m. He goes right to bed and we get him up at 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning. The problem is, the kids and I get up at 6:30-7.

The toddler is the hardest. He understands what being quiet it, but he forgets about five seconds after I remind him, lol!

The kids have their tv time after they get up, and while they have their breakfast. Then we start school. The toddler will play quietly for a while, and color at the table with us, but then I usually give him the iPad or something to help him stay quiet. As soon as Daddy gets up, all screens are off for the day and they can make as much noise as they want. Of course, we only have a few hours in the morning to stay quiet, so that's a bit easier than most of the day.

DH sleeps with a loud fan on, and we have blackout curtains in our bedroom. Sometimes he wears an eye mask. We close all doors between he and us, and do our best to be quiet. And yet, sometimes the toddler wakes him up. It's okay. It happens. Thankfully, DH understands kids and has a lot of patience with us!

• Like 1

One of the joys of home schooling is being able to adapt your lifestyle without having to stick to a brick and mortar school schedule.  My friend across town homeschooled her two boys. The dad worked at O'Hare airport, with erratically changing shift but mostly nights.  They lived on what I called "Smith" time ;-)   and I knew to never ever phone before noon as they simply weren't up yet.  They altered their schedule to work around Daddy's , so they could still have family time.  When Dad needed to sleep the rest of the family slept, too. 

Friend noted grocery shopping in the wee hours was very uncrowded! ;-)

• Like 5

My dh had to deal with this as I've had a weekend nights work schedule since I started home schooling 10 years ago.  Dark shades, ear plugs, and frequent outdoor activities helped us both, but our youngest was not a toddler when it started so that made it easier. 

• Like 1

Dh had a 3am shift for a while when dd was 2yo and we lived in an apartment. Dd has always been very loud so even her quiet voice was disruptive to him going to sleep at 6 or7pm. I used to take dd out of the house every day for a couple of hours to give him a chance to go asleep. He was fine after that so we would hit the park, indoor play structure or mall For 2 hours or so and then go back home. That would get us close to her bedtime so there was only an hour or so of noise to deal with.

• Like 1

DH works second shift.  I work days.  We homeschool mostly in the evenings; DS is up late doing school, and then sleeps in with dad in the morning.  He gets plenty of sleep, plenty of down time, and so far has never complained.  It works for us.  I just ignore that people who feel that kids need to be in bed by 7:30 and live my life.

• Like 1

DH was on 2nd and 3rd shift for years.  We adjusted our schedule to match his, with in reason.  I did try to keep them quieter but there's only so much you can do.  One thing is to "weather strip" the bedroom door.  Create a tighter seal and put a rolled up blanket at the bottom.  Having a fan running helps too.  We also switched rooms once so that DH didn't share a wall with the noisy rooms. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I appreciate them, makes me feel like I'm not alone!

So dh's shift is midnight til 8am. No chance of it changing, hazard of the profession. I don't really know how to adjust our schedule that much! Ideas?

He was very lucky to start between 4-6am the last few years (different workplace )

He is also understanding and says hearing the (quiet!) noise of the family in the house helps him relax. It was the tired toddler tantrum that woke him yesterday, and he got up to help me without a word of complaint.

Also, our house is teeny tiny!

We'll work it out I'm sure, I was just stressed to me eyeballs last night!

I have an only child, but sometimes ds and I are "too loud" and still wake dh. Sometimes I just give up on doing school indoors. In spring and fall when the weather is mild, we take everything outside and do school in our yard. Ds loves to do school in the hammock! When the weather does not allow for outdoor school, I pack his stuff in a big bag and head to a public place. We could do the library, but we really enjoy going to different fast food type places and sitting down in a corner booth for school. We have learned which places in our small town work best. (Think quiet places with less distraction). No dining areas with tvs! We take the laptop with videos etc and just use headphones to not disturb other customers. We always order lunch and no one has ever seemed perturbed that we are taking up a booth for hours.

I don't know where you live and if you are a church goer, but since we are in a small town, our church is only three minutes from our home. If I had more children, I wouldn't hesitate to take them there to do school and let the younger ones play on the playground for recess times. I realize this senerio would not work for everyone though. Just a thought.

In a perfect world, my dh would work day shift. It would certainly make homeschool easier. However, we have had some incredible times at some really great places (beaches, museums, parks etc) that we probably wouldn't have if he didn't do shift work.

With a little creativity and flexibility, you can still have a great homeschool experience. Wishing you the best.

(And yes, get the blackout curtains, noise machine, unplug the phone and put a note on the doorbell. Every little bit helps)

• Like 1

Dh wore ear plugs. It took some trial and error to find ones that were comfortable for him. With those in, we could make our normal amount of noise. We did not keep a phone in the master bedroom while he was sleeping.

• Like 1

My DH and I have worked night shifts forever, although usually just one of us at a time. Any noise during day sleeping time is punishable by death. Even the UPS and FedX guys know. Even our neighbors have always been very considerate. Our kiddos always seemed to learn very young that a screaming momma or sleepy dad is not a good thing.

• Like 1