Menu

Ancient History - Literature

What are my options for Literature to accompany our study of World History?  We will of course go from Ancient, Middle and Modern.

I really don't like the idea of reading the Odyssey or the Iliad--Homer just doesn't float my boat.  Would it be appropriate to have him read some to the works or Aristotle and Plato?? Not exactly literature but still a reflection of writing for that time period.  I would also consider the Art of War.

I would love to hear your suggestions.

The Hive ROCKS!!

For non-Homeric Greek literature, I'd read a few plays. Oedipus and Antigone are common high school assignments, and Medea would be another good choice. If you're skipping the Iliad & Odyssey, I would at least read a good summary or adaptation, because they are referenced so frequently in other literature (and even in popular culture).

ETA: there is an excellent audiobook of the abridged Iliad & Odyssey translations by Lombardo; that would be a pretty painless way for a student to cover the Iliad & Odyssey.

• Like 5

What are my options for Literature to accompany our study of World History?  We will of course go from Ancient, Middle and Modern.

I really don't like the idea of reading the Odyssey or the Iliad--Homer just doesn't float my boat.  Would it be appropriate to have him read some to the works or Aristotle and Plato?? Not exactly literature but still a reflection of writing for that time period.  I would also consider the Art of War.

I would love to hear your suggestions.

The Hive ROCKS!!

I think before we make recommendations, it would help to know why the Iliad and the Odyssey don't float your boat.

For example, if you tell me that you don't want to do the Iliad because it has concubines in it and it would disturb your child, then I am not going to recommend The Epic of Gilgamesh. If bodily function jokes and sexual innuendos don't make you laugh, then no Aristophanes.

If you have never read them and just think they sound dry and boring or irrelevant, I would strongly suggest you try The Iliad along with the Great Courses lectures, and as Corraleno mentioned, they are foundational works. That is some of the best homeschooling we have ever done. Fagels's translation is accessible and enjoyable. The Great Courses guidebook will have essential reading assignments, which makes your job easy.  I don't have access to my guidebook right now, but I think the first 2-3 chapters are introductory and the 4th starts to cover the book, so at the end of that chapter, the essential reading will be something like The Iliad, Book I and you'll have a couple of discussion questions.

• Like 5

Would you consider The Great Course lectures a stand-alone history curriculum? or would we need another spine?

Not BlessedMama, but the Great Courses lecture on the The Iliad is for literature, but you will get a lot of historical context.

If you are not familiar with the Great Courses, we'd be happy to convert, I mean, enlighten you. :D  The Iliad is probably one of the most loved lecture series on the high school board.

• Like 8

Not BlessedMama, but the Great Courses lecture on the The Iliad is for literature, but you will get a lot of historical context.

If you are not familiar with the Great Courses, we'd be happy to convert, I mean, enlighten you. :D  The Iliad is probably one of the most loved lecture series on the high school board.

Lisa, Thank you so much for the input.  The reason I was not interested in covering them is because my high school English class read these aloud and I can remember being completely bored [even though I was an A+ student].  The version we read sounded archaic and very unrelatable; perhaps also, my instructor did not do a good job of helping us grasp the value in these works.

I am not very familiar with the Great Courses; we have not had occasion to use them yet.  We have only been homeschooling for a short time.  However, I do think they would be great to use for High School courses.

Thank you for enlightening me!! =)

• Like 1

Lisa, Thank you so much for the input.  The reason I was not interested in covering them is because my high school English class read these aloud and I can remember being completely bored [even though I was an A+ student].  The version we read sounded archaic and very unrelatable; perhaps also, my instructor did not do a good job of helping us grasp the value in these works.

I am not very familiar with the Great Courses; we have not had occasion to use them yet.  We have only been homeschooling for a short time.  However, I do think they would be great to use for High School courses.

Thank you for enlightening me!! =)

The Lombardo translation that I linked above is the opposite of archaic, and the abridgment leaves out the most boring and repetitive bits, like the catalog of ships and who-slew-who. (I swear at least 6 hours of the 14 hour unabridged version consists of nothing but variations on: "... and then hot-headed Thermometer threw his oak-shafted spear at fleet-footed Phrisbee, son of the horse-breaking Cruciferous and white-cheeked Panera, and the bronze tip pierced his gleaming helmet, shattered his teeth and splattered his brains across the blood-soaked plains of Ilion...")

• Like 13

Would you consider The Great Course lectures a stand-alone history curriculum? or would we need another spine?

You can definitely use Great Courses as a spine, but you'll generally need more than one. We've used lots of them for ancient history, and are currently using several for US history. (Note: I'd avoid the courses labeled "High School," as they're at a much lower level than the other courses.)

• Like 2

I've been working on my Ancient History and Ancient Literature syllabi and here's what I have:

The Epic of Gilgamesh translated by N.K. Sandars

The Tale of Sinhue and Other Ancient Egyptian Poems translated by R.B. Parkinson

Tanakh- Torah, Nevi’im, Kethuvim (Old Testament w/ GC companion)

The Bhagavad Gita

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

G Homer The Illiad translated by Robert Fagles.

G Homer The Odyssey translated by Robert Fagles.

G Aescylus- Oresteia (GC companion) translated by Robert Fagles

G Sophocles- Three Theban Plays (GC companion)

G Euripides- Medea (GC companion)

G Aristophanes- The Frog and the Clouds (GC companion)

R Virgil Aeneid translated by Robert Fagles

G Plutarch. Lives.

R Ovid. Metamorphoses. Translated by A.D. Melville or Allen Mandelbaum.

G Plato The Republic translated by Robin Waterfield (GC companion)

R Aurelius- Meditations (GC companion)

Those labeled G are for Greek and R for Roman and GC companion have Great Courses for them. I'm also requiring Pandia Press's History Odyssey Ancients, which has a great number of essay and writing requirements and includes literature.

They'll either listen or read the above literature and then listen to the lectures and do activities and writing. It's a big step up, but it's also high school.

• Like 4

The Lombardo translation that I linked above is the opposite of archaic, and the abridgment leaves out the most boring and repetitive bits, like the catalog of ships and who-slew-who. (I swear at least 6 hours of the 14 hour unabridged version consists of nothing but variations on: "... and then hot-headed Thermometer threw his oak-shafted spear at fleet-footed Phrisbee, son of the horse-breaking Cruciferous and white-cheeked Panera, and the bronze tip pierced his gleaming helmet, shattered his teeth and splattered his brains across the blood-soaked plains of Ilion...")

LOL @ Thermometer, Phrisbee, Crucifeous and Panera!!  I love what you did there!!  Well, again thank you for sparing us the splattered brains!!  We will give it a try.

• Like 2

I've been working on my Ancient History and Ancient Literature syllabi and here's what I have:

The Tale of Sinhue and Other Ancient Egyptian Poems translated by R.B. Parkinson

The Bhagavad Gita

G Plutarch. Lives.

Those labeled G are for Greek and R for Roman and GC companion have Great Courses for them. I'm also requiring Pandia Press's History Odyssey Ancients, which has a great number of essay and writing requirements and includes literature.

They'll either listen or read the above literature and then listen to the lectures and do activities and writing. It's a big step up, but it's also high school.

Wow!! That is fabulous!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

You goals are much more ambitious than mine; my boy would revolt.  I want to give him a well rounded perspective on history with out overwhelming him.  I have to bear in mind that he is a STEM child and does not enjoy history as much as he does science.

What I want to know is how everyone can afford all these Great Courses???  I've looked at some and, even on sale, they're extremely expensive.  I also looked at them used on Amazon, but then you're not guaranteed to get the companion guide.

I'm greatly intrigued by them, but I'm not sure my DD would enjoy just watching a guy lecture.  She's more into documentaries, so it would be hard for me to justify the expense of a Great Course just to have her totally dislike it.  Can anyone tell me if there is more to the course than just watching a guy lecture in front of the screen?

The Bhagavad Gita

G Plutarch. Lives.

What I want to know is how everyone can afford all these Great Courses???  I've looked at some and, even on sale, they're extremely expensive.  I also looked at them used on Amazon, but then you're not guaranteed to get the companion guide.

I'm greatly intrigued by them, but I'm not sure my DD would enjoy just watching a guy lecture.  She's more into documentaries, so it would be hard for me to justify the expense of a Great Course just to have her totally dislike it.  Can anyone tell me if there is more to the course than just watching a guy lecture in front of the screen?

Check your library! Many carry a good assortment of GCs. If your library doesn't have them, you can try requesting they buy some. If that doesn't work, Audible is very affordable, even if you have to forego the booklet. We listen in the car so we can pause and discuss when something interesting comes up. Some courses, mainly art and science, only come in video versions because they require visuals to follow the lectures but most are fine with just audio.

If your library has OneClick audiobooks, look for the Modern Scholar series. They're sort of the generic version of the GCs. They're shorter and they don't cover as many subjects, but they're free.

• Like 1

Whether through audio books, Great Courses, or something else, I encourage you to find a way to incorporate the Iliad and Odyssey into your Ancient Lit study.  They are quite simply the critical Greek works.  So much can be gleaned about Greek culture, virtue, fears, hopes, history, and religion. 

Don't allow your uninspiring experience with these works in high school to influence how you see them playing out in your homeschool.  These are chock full of adventure and should be experienced in an exciting way.  Consider how best to make these works come alive for your children.

• Like 3

After all the discussion of the Great Courses, I went on their site and bought two History courses-- Foundations of Eastern Civilization and Foundations of Western Civilization....so now I will need a spine to support these.  Additionally, I'll be trying to figure out the literature piece!!  I'm excited about using the GC's!!  I think they will be a great tool!

• Like 1

Another great option is the Muse Unloosed and Muse Reloosed class from Lukeion. The readings cover the gamut from epic to lyric to drama to oratory to history to philosophy. I think Dr Fisher is awesome. There is a weekly live class, reading quizzes and several papers per semester.

Most of the writing is model papers where the student is producing a piece that uses the same literary characteristics as the ancient model. For example writing the same event as Thucidides and Herodotus would have written it.

We've really liked this class. The readings do cover the gamut and do include mature themes (as does a lot of Greek and Roman lit). Dr Fisher works hard to keep it PG but adultery, murder, revenge and the violence of war are frequent themes.

So, if I pick up this Odyssey of Homer

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/odyssey-of-homer.html

Do you ladies suggest, cd or the dvd?  Do they have the same thing?  Is the dvd intereting to watch, while you listen?  Or do I save some money and just buy the CD?

I personally prefer to do something like knit or clean or work in the yard while I listen to these lectures.  Or I listen while driving.  Except for lectures about visual art (How to Look at and Understand Great Art for example) I struggle to sit and watch what is mostly a person at a podium.  But if I can be active and listen, I'm great.

So, if I pick up this Odyssey of Homer

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/odyssey-of-homer.html

Do you ladies suggest, cd or the dvd?  Do they have the same thing?  Is the dvd intereting to watch, while you listen?  Or do I save some money and just buy the CD?

I would get the audio download (which you can get even cheaper from audible.com). Unless you have a coupon code for free shipping, the shipping charges are ridiculous.

• Like 1

I've been working on my Ancient History and Ancient Literature syllabi and here's what I have: ...

Since this discussion is going on, I thought I'd write down some of the thoughts that were in the planning stage in my head.  My son will be a 9th grader next year, is a pretty good reader, enjoys a well-written piece of literature (at least modern) but strongly dislikes archaic language.  I hope it helps and would love to get any feedback. Besides excerpts from The Norton Book of Classical Literature (ed. by Bernard Knox), here goes my first draft [with a few edits shown in blue]:

The Epic of Gilgamesh translated by Ferry [or N.K. Sandars] (comments on translations?)

The Bhagavad Gita (we're planning on being in India for 2nd semester, so this really fits; recommended translation?)

G Homer The Iliad (do others like the translation by Robert Fagles?); just read & quick discussion, or just use Norton excerpt of Iliad

G Homer The Odyssey (do others like the translation by Robert Fagles?); more intensive study; GC?

G Aeschylus- Oresteia [translated by Peter Meineck] or just Agamemnon (do others like the translation by Robert Fagles?)

G Aristotle Poetics [added to list]

G Sophocles Oedipus (more in depth, maybe GC companion) and Antigone (more quickly)

G Euripides- Medea

G Aristotle Rhetoric (linkage with our writing program) [added to list]

G Aristophanes- One, probably The Clouds (or maybe The Birds)

G Herodotus Histories (not literature, but from our history)

G Thucydides The History of the Peloponnesian War [or just excerpts from Norton Book]

G Plato approx 4 dialogues to start

Readings from the Bible

G Plato The Republic, probably not in its entirety (do others like the translation by Robin Waterfield?)

R Virgil Aeneid (do others like the translation by Robert Fagles?)

Augustine Confessions

We'll also be reading some original or other ancient sources, perhaps including Josephus's Wars of the Jews in our history

I like your other suggestions, but realistically we'll run out of time. The Tale of Sinhue and Other Ancient Egyptian Poems translated by R.B. Parkinson would provide some diversity since we're highly Greek-centric, though by design. Anything we can't live without?  Thanks.

Brad

P.S. We'll also read stories from cultures in various continents before broad internationalization, some of which will be immediately before colonization, such as in the Americas.  Although it's strictly "out of time sequence," the practical effect is that of a primarily independently developed culture. 

The Bhagavad Gita

G Plutarch. Lives.

Yay, another Fagles fan! I loved his Iliad so much I immediately purchased it in hardcover, along with his Odyssey and Aeneid. They are very, very readable - particularly compared to the editions I read in high school.

I much prefer the Ferry version of The Epic of Gilgamesh, however - it just seems much more accessible.

• Like 1

I've been updating our list as I hope to get my kids into a 4-year college Chemistry class (with a lab) in the Fall and that's going to shift a great deal of things around as far as reading. As it is, they'll be reading 25-50 pages of Chemistry text a week, so yeah.

Genesis ~80 pages

Exodus ~70 pages

Numbers 13-14; Deuteronomy 31, 34

Joshua ~ 40 pages

Judges ~ 40 pages

Ruth ~ 6 pages

I Samuel ~ 52 pages

II Samuel ~ 45 pages

I Kings ~55 pages

II Kings ~ 50 pages

Jonah ~ 4 pages

Ezekiel 33, 37

Jeremiah

Daniel ~ 24 pages

Esther ~12 pages

World Mythology: An Anthology of the Great Myths and Epics by Donna Rosenberg

Mythology: The Voyage of the Hero by David Adams Leeming

Homer The Illiad translated by Robert Fagles.

Homer The Odyssey translated by Robert Fagles.

Sophocles- “Oedipus the King†(GC companion) (film)

Aeschylus- “Agamemnon†(GC companion)

Virgil Aeneid (GC companion) translated by Robert Fagles

So, I've taken some things away and added others. I've added the two mythology books. These I had in a 300-level college mythology class and they are very thorough and will fill in for some of the areas left out by the classics (like new world and African cultures). I'll probably add in some Asian as well, but whenever I look at all the GC for those, my eyes go blargy.

A little OT, but do y'all think I could add in a 0.5 credit in mythology based on this? I think so, my state requires 60 hours of logged time for a 0.5 credit course.

The Bhagavad Gita (we're planning on being in India for 2nd semester, so this really fits; recommended translation?)

There are several translations of the Geeta online. An old translation by Dr Annie Besant is now available online. I searched for book recommendations and found this list, which may be helpful because it was compiled by an American reader.

Alternately, you can read the Mahabharata, which also includes the Geeta in brief.

• Like 1

I took translations out of the library (Lattimore, Fitzgererald, Fagles, and Lombardo). I picked Fagles for my 9th grader. Bonus points went to it b/c of the audio book by Ian McKellan reading the Fagles version.

And I got the Ferry Gilgamesh. I like it. It is not for the purist, but it is right for us.

• Like 3

And I got the Ferry Gilgamesh. I like it. It is not for the purist, but it is right for us.

Agreed, but the point here is to read the story, not slog through copious translator's notes filled with distinctions and details a student at this level is unlikely to need or care about. I've read both and felt the Ferry version accomplished that very well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After some other threads on this forum, I updated our draft reading list for us for next year (9th grade). DS is a pretty good reader, enjoys a well-written piece of literature (at least modern) but strongly dislikes archaic language. I hope it helps and would love to get any feedback. Besides excerpts from The Norton Book of Classical Literature (ed. by Bernard Knox), here's my draft:

• The Epic of Gilgamesh [translated by Andrew George] (first watch video here and read   http://mseffie.com/assignments/beowulf/epic.html ). If we really get into it, read an account of the clay tablets
  • The Bhagavad Gita (translation by Eknath Easwaran based on recommendation here)
  • Homer The Iliad (translation by Robert Fagles); just read & quick discussion for time concerns, or just use Norton excerpt of The Iliad
  • Homer The Odyssey (translation by Robert Fagles); more intensive study, and supplement with Vandiver Great Course video mentioned below
  • Aeschylus Oresteia trilogy [translated by Peter Meineck] and Vandiver video referenced below
  • Aristotle Poetics
  • Sophocles Oedipus the King (more in depth, maybe Great Courses companion)
  • Sophocles Antigone
  • Euripides Medea
  • Aristotle Rhetoric (linkage with our writing program). How accessible is this for a 9th grader?
  • Aristophanes- One, probably The Clouds (or maybe The Birds)
  • Herodotus Histories (not "literature," but from our history)
  • Thucydides The History of the Peloponnesian War [or probably just excerpts from Norton Book]
  • Plato approx 4 dialogues
  • Readings from the Bible
  • Plato The Republic, probably not in its entirety (translation by Robin Waterfield?)
  • Virgil Aeneid ? (translation by Robert Fagles or an abridged version)
  • Augustine Confessions

To accompany our study of the Greek tragedies, we'll use the Great Course “Greek Tragedy†(by E. Vandiver), etc.  We'll also be reading some original or other ancient sources, perhaps including Josephus's Wars of the Jews in our history. The Tale of Sinhue and Other Ancient Egyptian Poems translated by R.B. Parkinson would provide some diversity since we're highly Greek-centric, though by design. We'll also read stories from cultures in various continents before broad internationalization, some of which will be immediately before colonization, such as in the Americas. Although it's strictly "out of time sequence," the practical effect is that of a primarily independently developed culture. Anything we can't live without? Anything we should drop? Thanks.

Brad

• Like 1

Here are Ancient and Medieval Lit. Packages from Greenleaf Press (at the bottom of the page.)   Study guides can be purchased separately if you don't want to buy the books or if you want to use a different translation. http://www.greenleafpress.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=56&zenid=51dd2863844d521df71efa325447d15c

• Like 1

I would get the audio download (which you can get even cheaper from audible.com). Unless you have a coupon code for free shipping, the shipping charges are ridiculous.

Yes, I agree with everyone here. I have had Vandiver's lectures for many years, and have been studying and teaching Homer's works for a few years myself now. And they are just filled with great information. The whole family should learn about Homer from them...  And look how cheap they are at Audible! All you miss out on is the printed notes. Which are nice, but -- if you need to save money!

http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/The-Iliad-of-Homer-Audiobook/B00DCWVYR6

And I also agree that it helps to listen to the audio version of Fagles translations....

Here you can listen to the Odyssey free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgB9vxYT9kw&list=PLCpsr6BszVuit1j-igUK9yBi0fkIYPhbx

There are many wonderful resources to delve into when you study Homer.

• Like 4

• 9 months later...