Menu

Next book after History of the Ancient/Medieval/Renaissance World?

• 2 years later...

Well, mine are a bit young for us to have BTDT experience with this -- and I myself haven't used, and don't yet own, these resources; but just 'cause I always wish somebody would help me out when I have a question (and am glad when they do!):

My 4th edition WTM would have you using the second half of Michael Burger's "The Shaping of Western Civilization, Volume 1: From Antiquity to the Mid-Eighteenth Century" for the spine after Renaissance and before modern.  Additional basic texts recommended are Cotterell's "Asia: A Concise History" and Tindall & Shi's "America: A Narrative History, Volume 1" (look esp. for the Brief Tenth edition). 

If you have the 4th edition, this isn't much help!  and if you don't, I hope that this materials list seems to fall within fair use of sharing from the book -- especially since you haven't gotten other suggestions yet.  Certainly this combination of materials ought to include world-wide breadth for the centuries you are interested in covering. 

• Like 2

Thank you! I really appreciate your taking the time to find those options for me and anyone else who has the same question.

I was looking at other high school history courses for an answer and found The New Penguin History of the World is used with History Odyssey. So that is an option, too.

He's using A Patriot's History of the United States this year for American history.

I'll check all these others out. I'll definitely compare Burger's book with New Penguin. Burger has a primary source book which accompanies his Vol.1, which is nice.

I could use the Great Courses to fill-in the gap between the mid-18th cen and the 20th century book of Gilbert's.

Thanks again!

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

I'll check all these others out. I'll definitely compare Burger's book with New Penguin. Burger has a primary source book which accompanies his Vol.1, which is nice.

This is just wonderful: I hadn't known of it.  Thanks so much! 

For others following: here's a link to Burger's "Sources for the History of Western Civilization, Volume 1"

Edited by serendipitous journey