Menu

Handwashing Dishes or Using a Dishwasher?

earthyfamily

Handwashing or Dishwasher?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion or experience, which is less expensive overall, handwashing dishes or using a dishwasher? (Including hot water, detergent and electricity)

• Handwashing
    • Dishwasher
    • Dishes? I just use paper plates and plastic utensils!

Thankfully where we live heating is rarely necessary though. We do need the air con but it's only a few days per year.

On the one hand, the dishwasher sounds expensive, but if you aren't spending money on heat (for sure the biggest utility where I live) and hardly any on ac, then maybe the dishwasher is doable, even though it's expensive.  That's a lot of hours to get back in your life.

But I do realize that different people have different things that bother them, or don't.  I HATE hand washing utensils.  It makes me feel like I will die, standing right there at the sink.  On the other hand, I love hanging out laundry.  I don't know why, but a well hung line of laundry is a singular pleasure to me.

No one I know preboils lasagna noodles.  You just end up with soggy, over cooked noodles.  You put them in dry, while leaving your sauce a tad thinner/waterier than you normally would.  The noodles soak up the extra water and the sauce flavor.  Yummy.

Oh, I meant for macaroni and cheese. A pot to boil, a skillet for sauce.  As far as lasagna goes...still need a pot to make the sauce, a bowl to mix the cheeses and a pan to cook the lasagna.

Oh, I meant for macaroni and cheese. A pot to boil, a skillet for sauce.  As far as lasagna goes...still need a pot to make the sauce, a bowl to mix the cheeses and a pan to cook the lasagna.

The recipes I've seen for one pot mac and cheese have you cook the noodles in milk instead of water.  Then you add your cheese and any seasonings once the pasta is cooked, stir it up and you're done.

I didn't vote in the poll because I don't have a dishwasher.  All dishes are done by hand, and I also cook exclusively from scratch as well.  Like you, we don't use paper goods except Kleenex and TP.   I still try to only do dishes once a day.  Yes, they pile up and it gets annoying, but I don't want to take the time to wash everything after every meal.  If I am going to need to re-use a few dishes, I'll fill a pot or large bowl with hot water and just wash those few things that I'll be needing- and then a few extra dishes until I've filled my dish rack as long as I've got the soapy water. 

But if you only have enough dishes for one meal, then you are using 3 sinks of water, because you are washing after each meal.  Plus, there is rinsing, so you are using at least 6 sinks of water, unless you are rinsing under running water, in which case you are using much more than 6 sinks of water. 

Look up dishwasher efficiency.  You'd be amazed how little water they use.

I handwash my dishes, and don't use near that much water.  I fill my wash sink up halfway, then rinse as I go into my wash sink.  One sink full of water per washing. Several people have already mentioned washing this way in this thread.   I would love a dishwasher, I just don't have the room.

The recipes I've seen for one pot mac and cheese have you cook the noodles in milk instead of water.  Then you add your cheese and any seasonings once the pasta is cooked, stir it up and you're done.

I didn't vote in the poll because I don't have a dishwasher.  All dishes are done by hand, and I also cook exclusively from scratch as well.  Like you, we don't use paper goods except Kleenex and TP.   I still try to only do dishes once a day.  Yes, they pile up and it gets annoying, but I don't want to take the time to wash everything after every meal.  If I am going to need to re-use a few dishes, I'll fill a pot or large bowl with hot water and just wash those few things that I'll be needing- and then a few extra dishes until I've filled my dish rack as long as I've got the soapy water. 

I tried the cook the noodles in the milk method once.  I felt like I was using a ton of milk compared to the 2 cups required to make the sauce. 

We cook nearly everything from scratch, a convenience food for us is dried pasta.  Cooking from scratch tends to use a lot of dishes.  And it seems like I'm always cooking something in order to keep my 2 teenaged vacuums full. *sigh*

Buying a new dishwasher isn't an option for us though.

Do you use serving dishes?  I also cook from scratch, but I serve at the stove, and people go back to the stove to get second helpings.  So we only have two or three pans plus plates and glasses for a meal.  When we are all home, we run the dishwasher about 1 1/2 times a day.

I can't figure that one out...one pot to boil the noodles, a skillet to make the sauce is how I always do it.  Share. :D

Allergic to neoprene as well. :/

Wait...you make the sauce in a *skillet*??  ::mindblown::

I think I might be allergic to neoprene. Back in the day when I washed dishes by hand, I always wore gloves, and my fingers would always peel and crack. Hmm...

Do you use serving dishes?  I also cook from scratch, but I serve at the stove, and people go back to the stove to get second helpings.  So we only have two or three pans plus plates and glasses for a meal.  When we are all home, we run the dishwasher about 1 1/2 times a day.

I don't use serving dishes.  We plate at the stove and then go ahead and put the pots and pans in the dishwasher.  I'm a bit of a neat-freak...clean as I go kinda person.  This evening's dinner dishes for example consisted of a cutting board, a knife, a cheese grater, a skillet, a large pasta pot, strainer and bowl to put the strainer in in the sink, plates for five, forks for five, 2 large serving spoons and a pair of tongs.  That's about average for an easy, lower dish count meal for us.

Wait...you make the sauce in a *skillet*??  ::mindblown::

I think I might be allergic to neoprene. Back in the day when I washed dishes by hand, I always wore gloves, and my fingers would always peel and crack. Hmm...

Yup, in a skillet.  A roux with butter and flour, add milk, salt, pepper and ground mustard, and cook until thickish...add shredded cheese.

I found out that I'm highly allergic to neoprene from hand-weights and figure skate covers.

I don't use serving dishes.  We plate at the stove and then go ahead and put the pots and pans in the dishwasher.  I'm a bit of a neat-freak...clean as I go kinda person.  This evening's dinner dishes for example consisted of a cutting board, a knife, a cheese grater, a skillet, a large pasta pot, strainer and bowl to put the strainer in in the sink, plates for five, forks for five, 2 large serving spoons and a pair of tongs.  That's about average for an easy, lower dish count meal for us.

Okay: that sounds like us, but that's not a full dishwasher here.  Cutting board and plates in the main plate rack.  Large pasta pot diagonally opposite that in the bottom rack.  Skillet in top rack with glasses.  Grater in either rack.

That leaves space for either lunch or breakfast: plates, a salad bowl, a chopping board for lunch; or a small pan and bowls for breakfast.  So that means running the dishwasher every second meal, like we do.  I don't see how that turns into two to three times a day...

ETA: I missed the strainer and bowl - I'd just rinse those quickly in the sink - they are really not properly dirty.  FWIW, I use a strainer but not a bowl - I just hold the strainer by the handle.

• Like 1

Okay: that sounds like us, but that's not a full dishwasher here.  Cutting board and plates in the main plate rack.  Large pasta pot diagonally opposite that in the bottom rack.  Skillet in top rack with glasses.  Grater in either rack.

That leaves space for either lunch or breakfast: plates, a salad bowl, a chopping board for lunch; or a small pan and bowls for breakfast.  So that means running the dishwasher every second meal, like we do.  I don't see how that turns into two to three times a day...

ETA: I missed the strainer and bowl - I'd just rinse those quickly in the sink - they are really not properly dirty.  FWIW, I use a strainer but not a bowl - I just hold the strainer by the handle.

Maybe we have a really small dishwasher? I usually run after lunch, sometimes between lunch and dinner and then again after dinner. The sometimes between lunch and dinner would be when I make foods like tortillas, granola, breads....so on, for the week. I usually have 2 or 3 days a week that I do that. I'm a big germaphobe though...if it touches the sink, it's going in the dishwasher.  I would totally burn myself if I didn't use a bowl under the strainer.

Do you have any pots that are ok for the oven?  If not, consider getting one.  It would cut down a dish or two.  I do quite a bit of one pot meals that are started on the stove and then are finished in the oven. 

Usually the only pots that are okay in the oven are pots that have stainless steel or silicone/rubberized handles on them....and guess what....I'm allergic to both. Yeah, its awesome....I can't even handle coins. Debit cards are a god-send for me.

Maybe we have a really small dishwasher? I usually run after lunch, sometimes between lunch and dinner and then again after dinner. The sometimes between lunch and dinner would be when I make foods like tortillas, granola, breads....so on, for the week. I usually have 2 or 3 days a week that I do that. I'm a big germaphobe though...if it touches the sink, it's going in the dishwasher.  I would totally burn myself if I didn't use a bowl under the strainer.

Usually the only pots that are okay in the oven are pots that have stainless steel or silicone/rubberized handles on them....and guess what....I'm allergic to both. Yeah, its awesome....I can't even handle coins. Debit cards are a god-send for me.

Cast iron is your friend.  I love my Le Creuset.   

Those look awesome!  I'm going to have to see if I can find them locally. :)

Wow, how on earth could a dishwasher cost $150-$200??  Your electric bill must have been outrageous.

How do you make lasagna with only one pot?  But yeah, even making mac and cheese requires 2 pots (well one pot and one skillet).

Lasagne would use pre-made sauce that was frozen in a jar for later.

Mac & cheese how I make it takes three pots, but that's not what I'm talking about. I mean, noodles with cheese grated over them.