Menu

Rod and staff to Saxon When??

TheRosySeven

I've been looking through all the threads on R&S vs. Saxon and since it came up in a discussion this morning with my husband, I'm wondering when it's best to test out of R&S and into Saxon? I've read that some people do grades 1-3 with R&S and start Saxon at grade 4. And some say to stick with R&S through the 8th grade and then start Saxon in 9th. My oldest will be in the fourth grade next year so I'm trying to decide what's best??

Any thoughts?

I've been looking through all the threads on R&S vs. Saxon and since it came up in a discussion this morning with my husband, I'm wondering when it's best to test out of R&S and into Saxon? I've read that some people do grades 1-3 with R&S and start Saxon at grade 4. And some say to stick with R&S through the 8th grade and then start Saxon in 9th. My oldest will be in the fourth grade next year so I'm trying to decide what's best??

Any thoughts?

When the child tests into Math 54 or 65.

• Like 1

I read your question yesterday, but I wasn't sure how to answer. Not a one of my kids had the same trajectory. They all have wildly different needs and skills.

My oldest struggled with math, and simply can't handle "spiral" math pages. Getting him through a Saxon book would have been like telling him to run into a wall.  I found R&S for him around 5th grade or so, and he had more success than he had in years. We kept him in it until prealg level to help him get adjusted to a new curricula before alg. He still grumbles at them for not making an alg sequence. LOL

Kiddo #2 thinks math is fun, and enjoyed doing the same math from different publishers just because. She only used parts of the 6 and 7 R&S books, and bits of Saxon, and a few others. (Yes, the standard advice is you're not supposed to hop publishers for math. Since she self-taught algebra with good grades I'd say it didn't hurt her.)

Kiddos #3 and 4 are advanced. They started with R&S. The more advanced they got the more they struggled with textbooks meant for someone with older maturity and writing endurance. They moved to a workbook math series in 4th and 3rd grade respectively. #3 is now in Art of Problem Solving, and #4 has her eyes set on following his path.  #5 used R&S 1 for preschool, and wanted the same colorful math book #3 & 4 were using for K.

R&S 1, the old duckie edition, is sitting in the closet waiting for #6 to start his kinder year this fall. I can't wait to do duckie math one more time. :D   At this point I expect him to stay with R&S longer than the previous siblings, but time will tell.

• Like 1