Menu

Car top carriers, pros and cons?

PIE!

We’ll be making a cross-country move soon, and are debating about getting a car top carrier. What says the hive?

We’ve got 7 people in an SUV. The dog gets the trunk. We’ll each have a duffle bag and a sleeping bag or inflatable mattress. We can squish everything in if we have to, but it will be crowded. Would a car top carrier be helpful, or even more of a hassle?

We have used the soft sided cartop carriers for longer road trips. It was really nice to have legroom. The trade off is the hassle of loading/unloading the carrier each night to get at your stuff.

Since I didn't do the unloading, I think it was well worth it!

• Like 2

We have an older hard sided one that we have used a couple times when we have driven from WI to Florida and back.

There are 6 of us, and so the mini van gets pretty crowded with all of the luggage and gear.  It was really nice to throw the stroller and suitcases up top and have more space inside the van.  

The downsides:

-Wind resistance.  There were some really windy stretches, and with the extra height and weight on top, or van was really pushed around a lot more

-Noise - the vibration of the straps that hold it down almost drove me insane at times.

-Inconvenience:  Ours is an older type with the lid that comes completely off and it has to be held down with ratcheting straps, and so every time we want to get something out of the carrier, we had to go through the hassle of putting the lid back on and re-doing the straps.

-Paranoia:  There were times I was so worried that thing was going to blow off.   :p

• Like 1

we bought one years ago, when we only had two and a hatchback.  we still used it for distance trips when we had a van and six people.  we recently lent it to a family with four kids - and a van.  they wondered how they ever managed to do a long haul trip without one.  (and promptly got their own when they returned.)

it does reduce fuel efficiency, but the storage is worth it.  the clam shell type are best because they will totally encase what you are carrying (so the contents are not subject to weather or airflow-wind from driving).  plus, you can lock it.

we found where it set on the roof affected noise.  the straps must be tied down, etc.  

• Like 2

We have a soft - sided one we have used about 8 times.  It has proven itself in driving rain to be water-tight. The soft-sided one is easier to store when it is off the car.  It folds up very nicely.

Once it's on top of the car, we love it.  Getting it up there is a hassle.  But, if this road trip is cross country, I would vote for the hassle of putting one up there.

• Like 1

We were in the midst of planning our 1500 mile move when we passed a second hand store one day. In front sat a hard shell carrier. We got it for $12.50. Dh and the kids put it on our van and used it to store stuff for the move. He said the only trouble was when he was in the mountain areas of TN or windy areas...it resisted a bit. But he was glad to have it because it freed up room in the van.

We had a hard one from Sears that we used for long car trips.  It attached with clamps to our roof rack, so there were no straps to make noise or deal with.  It opened like a clam shell to the side, and the top stayed up by itself, so it was super easy to load and unload.  It was marvelous to be able to put the camping gear in there, and other things that we didn't need access to during the day.  It rained a couple times, but nothing got wet.

The only downside I can think of is storage.  We finally had to part with it because we needed the space in the garage, and we don't take long family camping trips anymore.  

If you have rails on your car, I would definitely recommend a hard carrier.

• Like 1

You will hear it...the wind hitting it that is.  We drove cross country last year(moved coast to coast) and while I wanted the put it up, we ended up not doing it for multiple reasons.  If you know where you are staying at night check the parking.  Our first stop had a garage.  We couldn't have the car top carrier on to get into the hotel parking.  It was far away to park if we had it on.  So we crammed into the van everything we needed for the trip and a week with nothing at the new place.  It was hard.  All were miserable.  Too much stuff! So for us, the parking garage was an issue in several places we stayed.  So it never got up there.  DH was worried about stuff being stolen on other nights, so it never got put up there.  Made the trip without it.  In hindsight it was best.  We would have had to unload and reload nightly.  We used way less than we had packed....we did laundry half way.  My vote is without having done it.  But I think it would have been more enjoyable if we could have had one.....

• Like 1

We had a hard one from Sears that we used for long car trips.  It attached with clamps to our roof rack, so there were no straps to make noise or deal with.  It opened like a clam shell to the side, and the top stayed up by itself, so it was super easy to load and unload.  It was marvelous to be able to put the camping gear in there, and other things that we didn't need access to during the day.  It rained a couple times, but nothing got wet.

The only downside I can think of is storage.  We finally had to part with it because we needed the space in the garage, and we don't take long family camping trips anymore.  

If you have rails on your car, I would definitely recommend a hard carrier.

We have one similar to this that lives on top of our Suburban for all except the worst winter months (where it does take up way too much room in our garage).  Ours opens like a clam shell but the hinges are in the front, no straps just clamps, and it locks so we don't have to worry about things getting stolen.  Dh can reach to put things in by standing on the back bumper, or the side steps by the doors.  I have to actually climb onto the seat or window ledges to get things out.  I'm sure a car that isn't quite so tall by itself makes it a little easier.

We've had ours almost 10 years, even before the kids we had a large dog so it was good to have someplace to put things we didn't want the dog walking around on.  It recently cracked but dh was able to fix it with fiberglass tape and some kind of hardening adhesive.

I have a parking garage at work that I can not park in if the carrier is on (I think the clearance is only 6 1/2 feet, the Suburban itself barely fits) but most other places we've been fine.  I think we need 7 1/2 feet/8 feet of clearance with it on top of the Suburban.

ETA:  We've never noticed the wind noise being a problem even with the moon roof open.  Never noticed a problem with the mileage either but the Suburban is pretty bad to begin with and half the time we were towing a boat.

• Like 2

We have a Thule cargo box that we've been really happy with.  It has "claws" that tighten onto the crossbars of our Toyota Sienna.  It is the clamshell type that can open from either side, and that feature has been SO worth it.  We haven't noticed much of a difference in fuel economy, and we don't notice much noise except in really windy conditions.  The thing hardly ever comes off our car, but it is extremely light and easy for DH and I to remove and install.  I have to agree that the storage thing is a pain when you take it off.  Thule sells a rack that allows you to hang it from your garage ceiling and I think we'll eventually get around to buying one of those. 

It's come in handy even on big grocery trips (you know, the kind where you buy a flat of toilet paper and paper towels at Costco and then forget you had the stroller in the trunk? :D).  Also makes your car easier to spot in the parking lot.  Except maybe on Labor Day weekend, ha ha. 

• Like 1

We have a Yakima hard sided rocket box. We have had it many years and use it regularly. It's been great, no complaints at all. It is water tight. The only trouble we have had is remembering we are extra tall when it is on our van. Cannot always get into parking ramps. We have a Yakima rack and other rack accessories and we have been happy with all of it.

Eta we do not keep it on the vehicle all the time. My DH invented a system to suspend it from the ceiling of our garage with pulleys, hooks, and rope.

• Like 1

we have some friends who loaded the carrier while it was in the garage.  on top of their suburban.  and the door was lower than the top of the carrier.  he was feeling so pleased with himself . . . . . at least he noticed.

• Like 2