Menu

Oh, the irony...

Seasider

After some raked me over the coals here about using a Kcup...even the refillable one, I got rid of it and went back to a drip maker. I know the trash was a huge concern for me as well. My coffee does taste better in the drip maker. I can make just one cup. I don't miss my Kcups. And after how many times we moved I was so worried about bugs in the machine.....

Why do they care if it is a refillable cup?

People are crazy.

• Like 1

I have an electric, programmable kettle. ;) I can set it for time and temperature for various teas or other water heating reasons (if any exist).

It also has a timer to keep reheating for an hour if I turn it on and forget about it. This is the handiest feature ever. I'm notorious for boiling water for tea, and forgetting to pour it before it cools. I only got the new kettle because I dropped my previous electric kettle and it developed a leak.

• Like 1

What??? You don't have kettles. What about toasters?

Not electric kettles.  I'm Canadian and lived in the UK.  In the UK, coffee usually meant instant coffee, everyone had an electric kettle and most people drank tea.

Here I have seen very few electric kettles.  I have an old fashioned kettle that I heat up on the stove.  I also have a coffee maker.  

I developed electric kettle love when my family was in England several years ago.  I loved it and wanted one at home.  My husband pointed out that at home in the US it would not heat water as fast as it did in the UK.  So, I left it aside.  Now, I have several friends who have moved here from Canada and the UK, and they all have electric kettles.  So the love is coming back.  But, really, my stove-top tea kettle works fine too, and I don't need another appliance, so...

I developed electric kettle love when my family was in England several years ago.  I loved it and wanted one at home.  My husband pointed out that at home in the US it would not heat water as fast as it did in the UK.  So, I left it aside.  Now, I have several friends who have moved here from Canada and the UK, and they all have electric kettles.  So the love is coming back.  But, really, my stove-top tea kettle works fine too, and I don't need another appliance, so...

Wait, really?  They don't heat water as fast in the U.S.?  What's up with that?

Also, did I already know this?  Because reading the board early in the morning with the cat acting like a maniac may mean my brain hasn't really switched on yet.

BTW, our coffee pot is in a box on a shelf in the basement.  It was given to us by SIL, who uses it sometimes when she comes over. She always brings a new box of filters when she wants to use it, too, so we now have enough filters for a gigantic preschool art project.

Kind of expensive, but way less expensive than the machines.

I just wonder where I'd get the coffee for that.  I'd probably have to order it on-line. 

Espresso roast is pretty available in supermarkets here - is it there?

Ikea sells Moka pots too.

• Like 1

I can't get over the outcry about k-cups, when disposable diapers are given a free pass. I figure I saved so much landfill space using cloth diapers for 3 kids that I have more than offset my one or two k-cups a day habit. 

Yet I get villified for my coffee. And usually by the same people that think cloth diapers are gross and swear they would never use them. That's the irony.

• Like 4

Espresso roast is pretty available in supermarkets here - is it there?

Ikea sells Moka pots too.

I don't recall seeing it.  No IKEA nearby. 

I've seen instant espresso which I have only bought for recipes, but not to drink.  Instant coffee isn't very good so I figure instant espresso probably isn't either. 

If anyone needs me today, I will be hand knitting washable toilet paper out of yarn I hand spun out of our dog's hair.

You win. That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. That and your post below about the self flushing cat toilet. 

• Like 1

eek...

Here is a thought to freak people out even more.  I read about a performance art that involves knitting out of one's wazoo. 

You are welcome...

:p

What actually freaks me out about this is that I already knew about it ... yet the voltage differences between US and UK causing a difference in water heating speed had totally slipped my mind.

• Like 1

I don't recall seeing it.  No IKEA nearby. 

I've seen instant espresso which I have only bought for recipes, but not to drink.  Instant coffee isn't very good so I figure instant espresso probably isn't either. 

You could use any dark roast - French roast or something.

I don't recall seeing it. No IKEA nearby.

I've seen instant espresso which I have only bought for recipes, but not to drink. Instant coffee isn't very good so I figure instant espresso probably isn't either.

Isn't there a Starbucks or other coffee shop near you? They'd have it. Also check the hippie health food section of your grocery store. We have different coffee in that section - organic fair trade etc. I use Kicking Horse and they make a lovely Cliffhanger espresso bean.

• Like 1

You win. That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. That and your post below about the self flushing cat toilet. 

It's what I bring to the party.  ;) 

Because I actually do use a Keurig, but with the cups below, which are much more environmentally friendly AND less expensive.  People can still vilify me for it, but I'm so loosey goosey about most things that I am used to be not good enough in multiple areas.  :D  If people say the coffee is not as tasty as other methods, they would be correct.  All I have to offer in my defense is that I am not particular and am WAY into cheap and fast as this particular juncture. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/San-Francisco-Bay-Organic-Rainforest/dp/B007TGDXMK/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1426183169&sr=1-1&keywords=san+francisco+bay+coffee+organic+rainforest+blend+80+onecup+single+serve+cups

We use a variety of sizes of Moka pot for that eventuality.  They all sit happily next to each other on the stove. You could probably get three or more little ones for the price of a Keurig, and there are no expensive disposable supplies.

That is what I use. I think mine did come from Ikea but they have them everywhere. More than one would fit on a burner.

I put espresso in mine but I am the only one in the house who drinks coffee and even then I do that rarely, dd and I usually drink tea.

Isn't there a Starbucks or other coffee shop near you? They'd have it. Also check the hippie health food section of your grocery store. We have different coffee in that section - organic fair trade etc. I use Kicking Horse and they make a lovely Cliffhanger espresso bean.

I really dislike Starbucks coffee.  But I have never tried the espresso so...

Most grocery stores have Bustelo espresso, it is in a bright yellow package with "Cafe Bustelo" on it.

That is the more common brand...probably can order some nicer stuff online. A hipster type grocery store such as Whole Foods probably has a larger variety.

Oh yeah I think I do recall that.  They sell it in brick form too.

I'm Canadian.  I have an electric kettle.  I've always had an electric kettle.  Huh.  Didn't know they were rarely seen here. :D  My electric kettle is even cordless - kind of looks like this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/black-and-decker-stainless-steel-kettle-0431194p.html#.VQICN_nF98E

I don't drink coffee.  Dh does but makes it either with a French press or in the drip coffee maker.  I've had tea from a Keurig.  It tasted funny.  Like coffee-flavoured tea.  Bleh.

If anyone needs me today, I will be hand knitting washable toilet paper out of yarn I hand spun out of our dog's hair.

Chiengora toilet paper?  Sounds itchy.

I can't get over the outcry about k-cups, when disposable diapers are given a free pass. I figure I saved so much landfill space using cloth diapers for 3 kids that I have more than offset my one or two k-cups a day habit. 

Yet I get villified for my coffee. And usually by the same people that think cloth diapers are gross and swear they would never use them. That's the irony.

Thank you!  This was my first thought when I read the criticism about the trash too.

I'm not sure about the ethics of using dog hair, because dogs are an introduced species. Surely you should consider using freely donated hair from native species with which to knit your toilet paper. Also, please check that your knitting needles are made of sustainably harvested timber and hand carved by free trade workers in a non culturally appropriated style.

• Like 3

I'm not sure about the ethics of using dog hair, because dogs are an introduced species. Surely you should consider using freely donated hair from native species with which to knit your toilet paper. Also, please check that your knitting needles are made of sustainably harvested timber and hand carved by free trade workers in a non culturally appropriated style.

Good points.  I concede the introduced species dog hair.  However, I fashioned my knitting needles myself from native oak which was fallen during a thunderstorm while riding a bicycle that operates our hand dug well.  I may have appropriated some cultural style, sadly, as my own culture is sadly lacking in the fashioning of knitting needles from native oak.

• Like 1

What??? You don't have kettles. What about toasters?

I personally don't have a toaster because I don't eat much toast and also grew up with bugs and so consider them to be bug magnets. If I want to make toast, or toast a bagel or something, I use my oven or my stove.

Most Americans make more toast than I do, and lack my personal hang-ups. Toasters and toaster ovens are pretty common, I should think.

I do have a teapot, but it sits on the stove.

I personally don't have a toaster because I don't eat much toast and also grew up with bugs and so consider them to be bug magnets.  

In nearly 50 years of making toast, I've never seen a bug in or on one. 

Thanks so much for planting the idea, though. 

//gags/// 

• Like 2