Menu

I want to SCREAM!!

fruitofthewomb

My old laptop died. DH surprised me with new one-higher end expensive (for us) just 2 weeks ago. I have tried to be so careful with it. I had it sitting on our dining table plugged in. Cord was stretched. It gave me pause but no kids were in there & it charges quickly so I let it go. 6 yr old goes in there & trips over cord-busting the screen. It doesn't work anymore.

I honestly can't believe any of it. Why did it break so easy?! Why did she trip over the cord?! What was she doing in there?! Why does crap like this keep happening?!

I am just sick about it.

And these kids seem to break everything! I know they are little but good grief! It seems like they are breaking crap constantly.

It may be under some kind of warranty.  Some stores, Microcenter or Costco for one have great return policies.  Even if you think there is no way they would let you return it, check before you give up. 

Yes, I know about kids breaking and ruining things too.  I have 4 boys, and they are constantly on the move.  I keep telling them, "Think before you do something!" or "Watch what you run into, think about where you are going and what you might encounter!"

• Like 2

I read a "funny" article about living with toddlers. It was one of those things where they show a bunch of pictures of toddlers doing something destructive with a funny caption.

Only I didn't find it funny at all. I think other people might, but to me it was just depressing. Sort of like your story above. I know your child isn't a toddler, but it was the same feeling. Sometimes the "funny" things kids do aren't funny at all and they are difficult to handle in real life.

I adore my kids and want to be with them all the time, but every once in a while I think, "Well, at least when they're grown and moved out I will be able to leave coffee on the table without worrying about someone knocking it over." Unless my ADHD husband is home...then it's back to worrying about someone knocking my stuff over.

I'm so sorry for your poor laptop. I'd want to scream, too.

• Like 5

We got it at best buy-DH didn't purchase the accidental warranty (why?!) so we are out of luck. I have a friend who purchases computers for a living and she is checking on the cost to replace screen.

I am sick to my stomach.

My old laptop was much sturdier than this one. What a waste of money!!!

Same exact thing happened to me with my laptop awhile back. Arggggh! I kind of went overboard by only using tablets with Otterboxes and desktops, but I haven't had any other frustrating accidents. Perhaps look into military spec laptops or a Toughbook if you must use one.

:grouphug:

Haven't heard back from friend but DH was mad at me when he came home. Said I am consistently irresponsible with stuff. I wanted to cuss him out but slammed doors instead. Nothing like being kicked when you are down. Maybe I am irresponsible. Or maybe I have 5 small kids & am pulled in a hundred directions every minute of every day.

Sigh. Today sucks.

• Like 3

Haven't heard back from friend but DH was mad at me when he came home. Said I am consistently irresponsible with stuff. I wanted to cuss him out but slammed doors instead. Nothing like being kicked when you are down. Maybe I am irresponsible. Or maybe I have 5 small kids & am pulled in a hundred directions every minute of every day.

Sigh. Today sucks.

Well that was uncalled for.  You have our permission to cuss him out.  

• Like 4

Call Best Buy and find out whether you can add the protection to your laptop since it is two weeks old. For some reason, I feel like you can add protection up until 4 weeks. If you can, add the protection, wait a couple of days, and return it.

I thought of this but figured it wouldn't work since I called them to see if there was anything we could do.

My dd 13 did the same thing recently-- tripped over her laptop cord and broke the screen.

DH made her research the model number for the replacement screen (then he ordered it--but she paid for it-- less than $50 thankfully).

DD then had to watch youtube videos on how to replace it and DH made her do all of the work (but he was by her side while she did it).

DD iS MUCH better about laptop care-- and making sure there is not a potential for an 'accident' (especially when charging).

• Like 5

Sigh. Today sucks.

Every time my children break something of mine that I am upset about, dh blames me.

When the children break his things, he blames them.

I love that dh so, so much, but this is an infuriating quirk.  I'm so sorry!

• Like 3

Tammyla brought up a good point. If you have a desktop, or a friend with one, hook the laptop up to a monitor to check if it's working or if anything else was damaged - before you go to the expense of replacing the screen.

I passed it off to my friend who is running diagnostics on it & looking into replacing the screen. She was having a hard time finding the screen online.

Oh, I love that. HE neglected to get a warranty (knowing, as you say, that you have FIVE children), but YOU are the one who is irresponsible?

• Like 6

Well I heard back from my friend and she can't find the replacement parts anywhere. She contacted Asus directly & they don't have them.

I think we will get a cheap monitor & turn it into a desktop. I still feel sick about it. I could cry honestly.

I may call Asus & best buy & complain that they sell something that can't be fixed.

Friend said we could try scrapping parts on eBay but it might be just as expensive as new laptop. DH is going to check it out though.

It might be trade-off between time and money.  I've found that I can get a very good deal on e-bay, but I can't necessarily go with the first things that show up on a search.  As you may know, e-bay is all over the map in terms of what people are asking in terms of price.

Also, I'm very surprised --- but don't mean to suggest that your friend is wrong --- that you can't find a replacement screen.  We found a replacement screen and a replacement keyboard on Amazon.

It might be trade-off between time and money. I've found that I can get a very good deal on e-bay, but I can't necessarily go with the first things that show up on a search. As you may know, e-bay is all over the map in terms of what people are asking in terms of price.

Also, I'm very surprised --- but don't mean to suggest that your friend is wrong --- that you can't find a replacement screen. We found a replacement screen and a replacement keyboard on Amazon.

My friend is surprised too.

I wasn't done typing.

Anyway-she thinks it's bc its brand new model but she has never had it happen before. Of course. She said her guys can fix anything.

When she called Asus they said they didn't have that part & to check Amazon ?? She googled it & only 1 hit in a foreign country came up. Very bizzare.

Well I heard back from my friend and she can't find the replacement parts anywhere. She contacted Asus directly & they don't have them.

I think we will get a cheap monitor & turn it into a desktop. I still feel sick about it. I could cry honestly.

I may call Asus & best buy & complain that they sell something that can't be fixed.

It's an Asus?  That's weird, they're usually much sturdier than that.  We have one and I think it would take a nuke to damage it. :P

Is the problem that you're trying to find a replacement touch screen?  If so, could you put in a non-touch screen instead?  There must be some way to figure this out.  What's the model number of the computer?

I would complain to Best Buy about selling computers that you can't get replacement parts for and see what they say. If they can't find the parts to fix it, they may refund or get you a replacement.

I think I will. It costs $70 for them to look at it & determine what's wrong (which my friends company did for free). Maybe it will be worth it?

Is the $70 applied to the cost of fixing it?  Several places run things that way.  I'm not sure what you gain by doing this, though.  If the replacement screen isn't available (yet), and you pretty much know that's the problem, what does paying them accomplish?

If replacement parts aren't available because of the newness of the laptop, then they might be available soon.  In which case, maybe it would be best just to buy an ultra-cheep monitor until the screen becomes available.

If replacement parts aren't available because of the newness of the laptop, then they might be available soon.  In which case, maybe it would be best just to buy an ultra-cheep monitor until the screen becomes available.

A lot of newer computers have HDMI ports, too, which would mean it could be hooked up to any hdtv.

A lot of newer computers have HDMI ports, too, which would mean it could be hooked up to any hdtv.

And, naturally, the family won't mind if you steal the house's big screen TV as your laptop's monitor!   :rolleyes:

(Just picturing a worst-case scenario.)

It's an Asus? That's weird, they're usually much sturdier than that. We have one and I think it would take a nuke to damage it. :P

Is the problem that you're trying to find a replacement touch screen? If so, could you put in a non-touch screen instead? There must be some way to figure this out. What's the model number of the computer?

My old laptop was like that. It had been dropped, stepped on, food/beverage spilled on it (outside not keys).

I asked friend about installing non touch screen or an 'off' part & tech guys said it probably wouldn't work.