Menu

New Jay Wile High School chem course promised for fall

Saw on Jay Wile's blog this morning that he has a high school chemistry text slated to be released this fall. http://blog.drwile.com/?p=13366 It was sparked off by his poor view of the third edition of Apologia's Chemistry and feedback he had from others about that text. I bought a second edition used earlier this year after hearing the bad press about the third edition.

Interested to see it, although it seems a real deadline rush to put together a whole text.

Erica in OR

• Like 3

This may be a silly question but does Dr. Wiley actually teach an online class or does he just write the text books?

I haven't seen any online offerings from him, but I haven't done a lot of research in that area. He's writing an elementary science series right now, too.

Erica in OR

We also managed to track down a copy of the 2nd edition used for a reasonable price when I first read his review of the new Apologia chemistry, so I already have that ... but him saying that the new book will have a different order of topics (atoms first) and better experiments really has me thinking maybe I'll buy the new one too!  ;)

• Like 1

We also managed to track down a copy of the 2nd edition used for a reasonable price when I first read his review of the new Apologia chemistry, so I already have that ... but him saying that the new book will have a different order of topics (atoms first) and better experiments really has me thinking maybe I'll buy the new one too!  ;)

I used Apologia Chem with my oldest (I still have the 2nd edition full course CD-ROM) and it was a good fit for him. However, the order of topics was a complaint from my perspective. I won't need it, but I'd still love to see another program written by Jay Wile with a new chapter order. 

• Like 1

This may be a silly question but does Dr. Wiley actually teach an online class or does he just write the text books?

I don't think he teaches classes online for high schoolers. 

He did teach a university chemistry class in Fall 2014 at Anderson Universtiy (Indiana).   I think that was the first time in a while he had been in classroom, but not his first time teaching classes.

all of this comes as my middle daughter is finishing 2nd edition Wile chemistry.  interesting to hear about it all.  I do think it's a very tight schedule to get it done by August. 

He hasn't taught online classes in the past, but I wouldn't put it past him. He loves interacting with kids. He did sessions at the teen convention at our local homeschool convention and he is really great with the kids. Right now he is doing too much travel with the convention circuit to make classes make sense though.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you, Teresa and dhudson. Any more experiences to share with this? We'll be hitting the convention vendor halls in the next couple of months. We want a complete, rigorous chemistry year for a gifted, independent learner.

Looking for Apologia vs. Wile vs. Spectrum Chemistry comparisons, or other options. We like Christian homeschool-specific curricula. Chemistry can be world-view neutral, but has plenty of opportunities to give God glory, so we want to stay with Christian resources if possible. We'll probably do a few at-home labs, with Landry Academy lab intensive to supplement.

I would love to know about this, too. I am thinking about Spectrum because it is so homeschooler friendly, but if this course is more rigorous then I think we would go with it. We would use this for a regular/honors chem and follow it up with AP chem the next year.

But so far i can't find many review of this curriculum. I am not going to get to a convention and won't be able to see it in person. I am considering ordering a copy if they have a good return policy.

Edited by Penelope

My oldest child,11th grade, is doing this so it's our first time through chemistry. I don't have anything to compare it to as we haven't done the Apologia. I chose it because I wasn't sure I could trust the accuracy of the new Apologia book, and with our first time through chemistry, didn't want those issues to contend with on top of the usual challenges with tackling chemistry. The other reason I chose it is that it's Jay Wile's "voice" and method that made those books so popular and well loved to begin with, and I also thought that being this far out from writing it the first time around that he might have some good insights into how to improve explanations for teens and make it accessible. I thought this newer book would have the benefit of all those years of experience, and it has.

My dd is not strong in science, but she is understanding this book. There have been times that I've had to 'teach' the material, and that gets her over the hump and then she can figure things out from there. The labs have been great. There was another family that I met that was doing the same course and our daughters are doing the labs together. That has been wonderful as far as accountability and making sure we get the labs done. There's definitely been a 'wow' factor with the labs, and I'm not sure if the same goes for Apologia.

Content-wise, it's a challenging course and rivals what I did my first year of college in Chem 101 and 102, but I haven't told my daughter that! But, Jay Wile does a great job with presenting the material and making it understandable. You can see samples here:

https://www.bereanbuilders.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SETDDC

• Like 1

It is certainly more challenging and rigorous than Apologia Chemistry which I did with my oldest. There seems to be a lot more equations and math, and there are definitely better experiments and more of them. It has pushed my very science minded kids which I find a good thing.

It does have some online helps, videos and lectures which we have used to explain some of the concepts.

• Like 1