Menu

Timeline suggestions?

Hi! I need help. I'd like to start a timeline that we can use through the years.

What I'm hoping for:

to hang it on the wall

it's already laminated

reusable stickers (images or events), or at least easily removed and replaced ( if needed- not sure )

maybe color coded for different civilizations

I have found some online, but they appear to be single pages to put in a binder. I *think* we'd like the continuity of a line vs pages. Maybe not.

Any suggestions? What has worked for your family? 

I made one like that with a timeline printed on card sock and then "laminated" with Contac paper. I then went through our history program and made a timeline card for each section. We use repairable glue dots to stick the cards up. Mine folds up into a "book when we aren't using it. The cards I made in powerpoint with pictures from internet searches. It worked out really well and gave me a good preview of what was coming in history. I made up about a quarter of the cards at a time.

• Like 1

Have you peeked at Konos? They have laminated ones with figures you can tack {blu tac} to the timeline so they can come down, go back up, etc. I loved then when we used them for our wall timeline. :)

I had not looked at Konos previously. I love the characters they use! I wish I knew if the timeline being shaped like a pyramid would bother me, or if I'd like it. 

Thank you for the idea! I'm keeping this one in mind.

I made one like that with a timeline printed on card sock and then "laminated" with Contac paper. I then went through our history program and made a timeline card for each section. We use repairable glue dots to stick the cards up. Mine folds up into a "book when we aren't using it. The cards I made in powerpoint with pictures from internet searches. It worked out really well and gave me a good preview of what was coming in history. I made up about a quarter of the cards at a time.

Wow! That's awesome. I'd like to attempt this. Then I could make it any size I wanted it. My fear is that I wouldn't get it done before the kids graduate. 

I like the Pandia Press timelines; they can be strung out on a wall or put in a binder, and the pages, while not laminated, are glossy and heavier than other paper.

Me too:)

I actually laminated ours at Mardel, and even laminated the stickers as the kid likes to move them just a smudge out of the way, or hold it, etc...(she is five!) I then strung them all the length of the hallway, which works pretty well to make a giant timeline.

• Like 1

Wow! That's awesome. I'd like to attempt this. Then I could make it any size I wanted it. My fear is that I wouldn't get it done before the kids graduate.

I admit that I got it done in a crazy busy of inspiration that is not reliable, as witnessed by the umpteen unfinished projects I have lying about. It sounds fancier than it is, though. Imagine rolling out a roll of contact paper, laying your timeline pages on it and putting another sheet of sticky paper on top. One caution is that it can be do veryhard to line up that top sheet. Much gnashing of teeth.

• Like 1

Well, I am madly enamored with the Classical Conversations timeline cards (and I don't even use the curriculum), but we use them in a binder.  You could put them on the wall, though--but probably not ALL of them, unless you had a mighty big wall.  I keep them in page protectors in binders.  They are gorgeous.  They are, at this point, mostly for my own eye candy and enjoyment--my kids don't use them. (Yes, I admitted it.) 

For our timeline we do an index card....my son will draw his narration on it from CHOW.....then I write a little bit on what's happening in the picture....then we hang it on the dry erase board (soon to move to the bulletin board).  This homespun timeline is sweet, involves active learning, is cheap (unlike the CC cards, alas) and I think it is fairly engaging. And it doesn't involve *me* doing anything other than reading the chapter and providing the art supplies. That seems to be key in my teaching style at this time!

Love the idea of contact paper and clip art!!! 

• Like 1

Well, I am madly enamored with the Classical Conversations timeline cards (and I don't even use the curriculum), but we use them in a binder.  You could put them on the wall, though--but probably not ALL of them, unless you had a mighty big wall.  I keep them in page protectors in binders.  They are gorgeous.  They are, at this point, mostly for my own eye candy and enjoyment--my kids don't use them. (Yes, I admitted it.) 

For our timeline we do an index card....my son will draw his narration on it from CHOW.....then I write a little bit on what's happening in the picture....then we hang it on the dry erase board (soon to move to the bulletin board).  This homespun timeline is sweet, involves active learning, is cheap (unlike the CC cards, alas) and I think it is fairly engaging. And it doesn't involve *me* doing anything other than reading the chapter and providing the art supplies. That seems to be key in my teaching style at this time!

Love the idea of contact paper and clip art!!! 

I looked at images of the CC timeline cards and someone did have them strung on a clothesline around a room! I already own the Veritas Press cards, so I may try stringing those up for a bit as we go through them.

I really like the idea of having them involved in creating the images for the timeline. What a great way to help with retention. Maybe we will make index cards and keep them in  photo albums, then select an image from the internet to use on our wall timeline. Otherwise there'd be a lot of fighting or 2 full size timelines hung up in our living room.