Menu

what is your 9th grader doing for school next year?

Trying to set up school for my up coming 9th grader, so I am curious as to what school for your 9th grader looks like in your home?  Especially interested in History and English (whatever form that would come in.) but would love to see your whole line-up. 

thanks.

• Like 2

My current 9th grader is doing:

Geometry online with Jann in TX
Excellence in Literature
Early modern history the WTM way
Science Shepherd Biology
Holt Government (will finish this next year with modern history)
Bible: she is reading through selected scripture and working through The Bible and Its Influence
PE: horseback riding

Art: Khan Academy plus several other art resources

• Like 2

For 9th grade next year, my dd will tentatively be doing the following:

- Geometry (Jurgensen)

- AP Human Geography (PA Homeschoolers)

- Physics - Derek Owens

- OM Integrated Health and Fitness

- Latin - outsourced local class

- Lit/Writing: Use some EIL units & some lit. choices of our own; work on how to do a research paper somehow

- Spanish - tutor once/week with another student, kind of laidback, probably will use more as an extracurricular

- continue to dance several hours/week, figure out where she would like to volunteer

• Like 1

The last 9th grader I had did:

MUS & Foeresters Algebra

Outside English class

BF US & World History (first half)

Outside Biology

Online 3D Art & Animation

PE (1/2 cr)

Orchestra

His older brother did:

MUS Pre-Algebra

WWS 1/Middle School Grammar  (note: dysgraphia delayed writing, but this had him ready for normal HS level course the following year)

BF US & World History (first half)

Apologia Physical Science (we didn't care for this)

Conversational French (1/2 cr., tried Rosetta Stone...could not make it through, and was told not sufficient grammar to count for HS credit)

PE (1/2 cr.)

Orchestra

• Like 1

History:  US History (Year 1 of 2) using TC Course (US History), America's Last Best Hope, Zinn's A People's History of the US, Critical Thinking books, etc. 

Literature:  Roughly lined up with history? (TBD)

Writing:  Intro to Rhetoric through WTM Academy (dropped after three weeks) Now writing across the curriculum

Foreign Language:

Third Form Latin w/videos

Spanish II w/La Clase Divertida

Math: Geometry (Jurgensen w/Duke TIP materials)

Science:  Physics w/Derek Owens

Possibly dabbling in French & learning the Greek Alphabet. Maybe something once per week along the lines of music/art or nutrition.

She does PE once per week with the homeschool group & karate as an extra curricular.

My current ninth grader:

Math---precalc using AoPS book, Intro to Number Theory (AoPS class) (1.0 and 0.5 credits)

Science---chemistry using Chang and loosely following Dr. Tang's syllabus (my first two degrees are in chemistry)

History--- ancient world history using TC History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective plus a zillion library books

English---Honors English 2 from Blue Tent Online

Foreign Language---Arabic 1 from The Potter's School

Elective---AP Human Geography planned and taught by me

She'll receive another credit for Arabic after a four-week immersion session this summer. I'm not sure which year to put that under, as she will have two university Arabic classes as a sophomore.

Extracurriculars: ballet (8.5 hours class weekly plus performances), Science Olympiad team

• Like 1

My ds will be using:

Lee Binz' Reluctant Readers High School Book List (4 or 5 selections)

The Write Stuff or Writing with Skill Level 1

Easy Grammar Grade 9

Saxon Algebra 2 (3rd edition)

Apologia Biology (I can't find anything else I like as far as layout and labs)

Short Lessons in World History (4th edition) or History of the Ancient World

Easy Spanish Step-By-Step

PSAT prep book

Informal stuff:  phys ed, health, art, music, technology, volunteering, internship, field trips, outside classes

History:  History of the Ancient World by SWB.  May add in some Story of Western Civilization workbooks.  Plus Horrible Histories videos :)

English:  Compostion:  Writing with Skill 1

Grammar:  Abeka Grammar and Composition I (may skip most of the composition part since we're using wws)

Literature:  BJU Fundamentals of Literature (plus we're doing an "elective" called Classical Mythology which uses Classical Mythology and More: A Reader Workbook as a spine

Vocabulary: Queen Homeschool Company Word of the Week, Lakeshore Learning Center's "Understanding Mythological Vocabulary Teaching Cards" (can you tell I have a visual leaner?)

Megawords 1 to brush up on multi-syllabic decoding skills

Reading lots of books!

Math:  Horizons Algebra and BJU Geometry

Science:  Quirks and Quarks HS Biology

Foreign Language:  Abeka French 1

Health:  Abeka Health, Body Book for Girls 2 by American Girl

• Like 1

This is my third time through 9th grade, so I don't feel any urgency to plan. Here's what I'm thinking about though:

Calculus (outsourced)

Biology with Lab (using CK-12 textbook through our co-op)

English I (still putting this together)

World History I (probably ancient history using SWB's History of the Ancient World or Kolbe's World History I course)

Big History Project (I let him look at all the history options and this is what he picked)

Theology I (Didache Introduction to Catholicism)

Italian (continuing) - My kids go to Italian school and he'll continue with that.

PE (semester) - He's already on the Nordic ski team at the local public high school, so I'll give PE credit for that.

Health - Maybe OM Integrated Health and Fitness

He'll probably take a couple of other classes at our co-op for fun, but I won't give credit for them.

I will have two 9th graders next year, and they will be doing:

-Geometry online with Jann in Texas for one, AoPS Geometry at home for the other

- Apologia Biology at co op

- History of the Ancient World with Study Guide (SWB)

-Trail Guide to World Geography (eliminated due to time constraints!)

-Windows to the World/Teaching the Classics combo using Jill Pike syllabus taught by me at co op

(-Daily Grams for grammar review) - not a credit, just rolled in with English

-Landry Academy online Spanish 1 (if my internet connection is capable)

-P.E. - competitive homeschool basketball league

ETA:  I will add in TC courses for ancient literature. (ETA:  Will be doing these this summer.)

ETA2:  Yikes!  That's a lot...I will be scheduling the geography course starting this summer and breaking during basketball season, then resuming after the season ends and continuing through the following summer. (See above note - geography has been bumped out of the rotation)

One son will have quite a bit of work on his writing program to finish up over the summer.  I will be going through Elements of Style and A Rulebook for Arguments this summer with both boys to prepare for 9th grade.)

I am feeling better about the 9th grade plan being more manageable for my boys with the above changes.  :)

• Like 2

Living in Belgium our grade 9 looks different:

AoPS Intro Algebra, Statistics

BJU Physical Science + IGCSE Chemistry

BJU World Geography

History: Middle Age / Ren / Ref, not sure how

MP Logic

TEE, WttW ( when finished we start Omnibus, this subject has a february start)

Dutch: Medieval Literature

Music: History of Rock Music

Art: attending academy for fine arts

PE: folkdancing

And we will also have German, French, Latin and Greek. We continue these as we do now, I think...

ETA: we don't have credits and transcripts here

• Like 1

My rising ninth grader will attend a private B&M school.  Her schedule will look something like this, though I doubt the bookstore catalog has been updated yet for next year:

Honors Alg 2 & Trig (McGraw Hill Alg 2 plus additional materials)

Honors Bio (Miller Levine)

World History/Global Studies 1 (World Civilizations, Stearns; curiously, the ISBN is for an "AP" version.  This is a required freshman course and there is an option to take AP World sophomore year.  The AP course uses the same text, so I suppose that, essentially, they are taking two years to cover it)

English 1 (titles include In the Time of Butterflies, Myths and Folklore, A Raisin in the Sun, Catcher in the Rye)

Latin 1 (Cambridge)

Theology 1

electives (probably two of the following 1-semester courses:  Health, PE, Fine Art 1, Computer Programming)

• Like 2

My younger ds will be a 9th grader next year. We're still working on plans, but he's definitely doing some classes at the local public high school.

At public school:

honors Spanish 2

band

honors English 10 (probably)

AP European history

At home:

Algebra 2 - using Lial

Science - not sure about this, probably biology

Health - combination of red cross, some sort of nutrition, and "Your Body in the World" (free online class)

AP computer science - maybe?

Extracurriculars:

swim team

jazz band

debate team

orchestra

??

-Geometry online with Jann in Texas for one, AoPS Geometry at home for the other

-Trail Guide to World Geography

-Windows to the World/Teaching the Classics combo using Jill Pike syllabus taught be me at co op

ETA:  I will add in TC courses for ancient literature.

ETA2:  Yikes!  That's a lot...I will be scheduling the geography course starting this summer and breaking during basketball season, then resuming after the season ends and continuing through the following summer.

My ds will be taking the Geometry class with Jann too!! He is currently taking Alg I; She is fabulous!!

• Like 1

-Trail Guide to World Geography

-Windows to the World/Teaching the Classics combo using Jill Pike syllabus taught be me at co op

ETA:  I will add in TC courses for ancient literature.

ETA2:  Yikes!  That's a lot...I will be scheduling the geography course starting this summer and breaking during basketball season, then resuming after the season ends and continuing through the following summer.

My ds will be taking the Geometry class with Jann too!! He is currently taking Alg I; She is fabulous!!

thank you so much for taking the time to do this.  As of right now, my plan for my rising 9th grader is:

Science: Apologia Biology

Math: finishing College of the Redwoood Pre-algebra

History: don't know

Latin: 3rd form Latin

Writing:  The Power in your hands

Literature: don't know yet

Theology: don't know yet 

thanks again for sharing.

• Like 3

Months later and I think I need to update a few things.

English & History Pandia's Ancient History Level 3, along with some lectures from Great Courses, extra readings from Bedford Analogy and Warriner's English for some composition theory.

Science- Using Biology Corner along with the Dragonfly book and extra labs

Math- AoPs Intro to Geometry

Latin- Jenney Latin Second Year

Language- Japanese

Electives- Speech and Logic

For 9th Grade - They pick their own curriculum, we school year-around, and once they finish a subject they pick another and start it. 

My son is doing: 

History: BJU U.S. History, BJU 9th Grammar/Writing & Literature, Lifepac Physical Science, Oxford Latin Part I, Life of Fred Beg. Alg. 

My daughter is doing: Lifepacs (U.S. History, Algebra 1, English, Physical Science), Oxford Latin Part I, World History w/ Streams of Civilizations (she wants to graduate early so she is doing double credits for S.S.)

• Like 1

I have loved reading through this thread!

My 9th grader will be doing:

Math: Geometry

ETA: either Jurgensen or Jacobs 2nd ed.

History: World History Ancient to 1450

ETA: Strayer Ways of the World, unless it turns out to be too difficult of a text for him

English: Still working out the details. It will mostly be correlated with history - but not 100%. I like the looks of Excellence in Literature.

PE / Health: Integrated Health and Fitness (Oak Meadow)

Danish 2: with tutor

Latin 2: Harvey Center for Learning

Biology: Miller Levine (probably)

Fine Arts: 1/4 credit visual arts

Computer Science: TBD. Once he gets the other courses under control, he would like to do a self-paced course.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed reading this thread, too. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that my little boy will be a freshman. Yes, he has grown tall and strong and has the beginnings of a mustache, but he is still my little boy. I didn't feel this way about his older brother starting high school; I was excited then. But not this time around. Not at all. :-(

But facing facts:

• Bible: Positive Action for Christ's Dynamic Christian Living plus competitive Bible Drill
  • English: literature to match with history, Analytical Grammar, and probably WTMA's Expository Writing II
  • Math: Jergensen geometry 
  • Science: geology/astronomy course that I will teach to ds and some of his friends...lots of hands-on work...using BJU's Earth Science as a spine
  • History: BJU's World History (doing this with his older brother)
  • Fine Arts Elective: Art History to match with his world history...using a mix of things
  • P.E.: baseball, soccer
  • Like 5

I have enjoyed reading this thread, too. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that my little boy will be a freshman. Yes, he has grown tall and strong and has the beginnings of a mustache, but he is still my little boy. I didn't feel this way about his older brother starting high school; I was excited then. But not this time around. Not at all. :-(

Same here, minus the older brother, as ds is my oldest. He may be about 6 feet tall, and is getting a mustache, but I can't believe he's about old enough for HIGH school already! I don't know if I am more excited, or freaked out.

• Like 3

We'll have our third ninth grader in the family in the fall.

Academics:

TOG year 1

Traditional Logic (MP)

Algebra

Physical Science

Greek, year 2

Extra-curriculars:

Tae kwon do (black belt - has a new opportunity to study at a second school through the week)

Three music groups (teen worship band at church, chorale singing, and folk music performances with his brother's band)

Civil Air Patrol

• Like 2

This is what my current 9th grader is doing -

Algebra 1 - Lial  He is teaching himself..I wish he were doing Jann in TX's class, but he likes battling it out on his own.

Switched on Schoolhouse Earth Science - interesting, but way wicked easy

World History 1 - Barron's World History. Text is just ok but it does lead to a lof of discussion

English 1 - Literary Lessons from LOTR plus World Lit textbook and World Lit reading list. Lots of good reading and discussion, not enough writing

Introduction to Computer Programming - TeenCoder and he HATES IT!!! We are only doing the first book for  .5 credit and have started Spanish 1 - Breaking the Barrier - for the other .5 elective credit

Art History - .25 credit; the other .25 will be in 10th grade. The Annotated Mona Lisa and several museum trips.

Other stuff - PE is swim lessons, physical therapy (he has scoliosis), and daily exercise

Debate, Fun Logic, and Worldview at Co-op

I have not been here at WTM in a million years!  Next year I'll have a 9th and 11th grader, my youngest two.  Right now I think for my youngest:

Religion/Philosophy - we'll do a scripture study or two throughout the year, probably we'll just meet and study once a week.  We'll also watch a video once a week with older brother.  I'm thinking Great Courses one on Natural Law.  Also, she'll be working on her Marian badge for American Heritage Girls.

Math - probably Jurgensen's Geometry with a math tutor.

Science - we will finish the second half of PH's Physical Science.  She has done the first half on chemistry very slowly this year.  Hopefully we'll do the 2nd half on physics for her first semester 9th grade.  Second semester will be divided between reading The History of Medicine(I hope to elaborate on this with videos and experiments) and then Botany in 8 Lessons.  This is to give her a leg up on Biology which I hope she takes in 10th grade.  She has no love for science so I am trying to be gentle with her.

Latin 2 - Jenney's,  taken with local homeschool class

History - combined with older brother using Light to the Nations Part 2 - focus on Modern history

Literature - focus on memoirs, plays, poetry, short stories/novellas and essays from modern period - I am developing this now.

Composition - trying to develop my own high school Rhetoric course for both 9th and 11th graders.

Music - continue voice lessons; I think we'll focus on music theory by using a free on line course and checking it out over breakfast.

P.E. - She has been in sort of a slouch this year.  I am hoping to enroll her in a beginning ballet class for teens next year.  She needs something!

Extra curricular - she loves American Heritage Girls so she'll be involved again with that.  She also often does stuff with a local community theater,so she'll probably do that as well.  And I am thinking of maybe getting in involved in Certamen again next year.

I'm another first-timer! Here are the current plans:

Systematic Mathematics Algebra 2

Online class for Lit/Writing. Considering AIM, Wilson Hill, Landry

Homemade course on the World Wars

ACE Biology

La Clase online Spanish

Electives: possibly economics, health

Extracurriculars: Civil Air Patrol, TKD, Choir

• Like 1

Hello,

This is my first time posting to the WTM forums.  I have one dd who is graduating soon and one dd who is entering 9th grade in the fall.

9th grade plans:

American History: OM

English:  Excellence in Literature- American lit.   review parts of Easy Grammar, and Paragraphs for High School by Don Killgallon 

Biology: Miller-Levine

Geometry: Teaching Textbooks

IEW SICC-C (possibly the 2 year schedule)

Choir, possibly drama, art classes, or voice lessons

PSAT prep

Poetry, either the unit from Kolbe Jr. High lit or Grammar of Poetry.  Any advice on either of these two?

I'm looking for suggestions for Greek language. 

Tibbie Dunbar, may I ask what type of Greek and which curriculum do you use for homeschool? Thanks a bunch!

• Like 3

[quote name="Cathrynlyn" post="6235686" timestamp=

Poetry, either the unit from Kolbe Jr. High lit or Grammar of Poetry. Any advice on either of these two?

Tibbie Dunbar, may I ask what type of Greek and which curriculum do you use for homeschool? Thanks a bunch!

We plan to use this next year for Poetry:

http://stores.progenypress.com/introduction-to-poetry-forms-and-elements-e-guide/

• Like 1

Tibbie Dunbar, may I ask what type of Greek and which curriculum do you use for homeschool? Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the forums! We study Koine Greek, for the purpose of reading the New Testament of the Christian Bible in the original language.

My eldest son used Bluedorn's Alphabeterian and Hupogrammon, then Bluedorn's Homeschool Greek vol. 1, followed by Machen's NT Greek for Beginners.

My rising 9th grader is using the Alphabeterian and Hupogrammon followed by Christine Gatchell's Elementary Greek, which is available through Memoria Press.

I don't really recommend the Homeschool Greek vol. 1 by Bluedorn if your student is very proficient at English grammar. The grammar portions of the lesson really bog things down. And Machen is tough - it's often used in seminaries. The available answer keys seem to be designed for Greek professors to use in class, so I had to track down a lot of information online to help my son through the course. In the long run, this all worked out. He can read Greek. But I'm hoping the Elementary Greek series will be a far more user-friendly introduction for the next kid.

If you want classical Greek, search threads here for Lukeion or start a thread asking what people like for that. There's so much information! And so many more curriculum options for classical than Koine.

My daughter will be doing the following:

Economics (Online through FLVS)

Ancient History (Using WTM outline with lots of outside books)

Geometry (haven't decided on book yet)

Biology (textbook with lots of added stuff from http://www.biologyjunction.com/)

Spelling Grade 6 (yes she's behind my fault)

French (online through FLVS)

English to coincide with history

PE soccer

Choir (she sings for a local church and the city children's choir)

Latin (just a little for choir, Linney Getting Started)

Trying to set up school for my up coming 9th grader, so I am curious as to what school for your 9th grader looks like in your home?  Especially interested in History and English (whatever form that would come in.) but would love to see your whole line-up. 

thanks.

I've just finished our books lists for history and english.  Not sure you want lists.... but here they are:

ENGLISH class. 9th grade

We have a 4 term year, 10-weeks long.

Fiction: We will read and discuss 2 books per term and write 3 literary analysis essays. He will read an additional 2 free reads each term

Nonfiction: We will read and discuss the essays in The Language of Composition (this book will be spread over 2 years). He will write 6 essays per term (analysis, persuasive, response, etc) most of these essays will be about issues/opinions read in The Economist or Scientific American.

Scheduling: we have 1 hour a day. We will do a 3 week rotation: 

Weeks 1 and 2 reading from our textbooks and discussing (with friday on these weeks as a 2 hour speed writing),

Week 3: writing deeply.

Reading the books is 'homework'.

Output: 36 essays

Textbooks

They Say, I Say: Moves that Matter in Academic Writing. Graft and Berkenstein. 2009

The Language of Composition: Reading, Writing, Rhetoric. Shea et al. 2008

Literary Analysis of Gothic/Horror

Macbeth. Shakespeare.

Nightmare Abbey. Peacock. 1818

Hunchback of Notre Dam. Hugo. 1831.

Gothic Tales. Gaskel. 1850s

Ghost and Horror Stories of Ambrose Bierce. 1870s

In a Glass Darkly. Le Fanu. 1872

Stories of Anton Chekhov. Translated by Pevear and Volokhonski. 1880s

The Brothers Karamazov.  Dostevsky. 1880.

The Treasure. Lagerlof. 1904 (sweedish)

We Have Always Lived at the Castle. Jackson. 1962

Master and Margarita. Bulgakov. 1967.

Night Shift. Steven King. 1972 (short stories)

Poetry: Poe. a selecion of gothic poems

Free Reading ideas (Choose 8)

Classic

Don Quiote. De Cervantes Saavedra. 1605. (Spanish, Chivalry, farce, episodic form)

Tristram Shandy. 1759. Sterne (humor)

The Mayor of Casterbridge. Hardy. 1886. (British, industrialization)

Three men in a boat. Jerome 1889. (humor)

Diary of Nobody. Grossmith. 1892. (humor)

Modern

A Town Called Alice (film), Pied Piper, or Trustee from a Toolroom. Shute. 1950. (australia)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, and the Spy. Caree 1974. (film, thriller)

If on a winter's night a traveller. Calvino 1979. (pleasures of reading)

The New York Trilogy. Auster. 1985. (meta-detective)

Body and Soul. Conroy. 1998 (child musician)

Housekeeper and the Professor. Ogawa. 2009 (Japanese. Mathematician)

Dystopian/Sci Fi

Red Planet. Heinlein. 1949.

Stranger in a Strange Land. Heinlein. 1961

House of Stairs. Sleator. 1974.

Neuromancer. Gibson. 1984.

Sailing to Byzantium. Silverberg. 1985.

The Children of Men. 1992. James. (film)

Little Brother. Doctorow. 2008.

The Circle. Eggers. 2013.

Non-Academic History Course

Ancient History. 9th grade

The purpose of this course is for a liberal-arts education.  He does not need it for university entrance here. However, just in case he decides to apply to an American university, I want to make sure it is acceptable as American humanities credit.

The Plan: My DH will read to and discuss with boys the spine, nonfiction, and religion (3hr per week). DS will read Illiad, Odyssey, and Aeneid and watch the TTC lectures on his own.  Movies we will watch and discuss Friday nights with pizza and popcorn!  We are not planning any output except discussion.  I believe this will come to a full Carnegie unit. 

Spine

History: The Definitive Visual Guide. Ed by Hart-Davis. 2007. DK

Nonfiction

Milestones of Civilization. Blandford and Davidson. 2009.

Oxford Children's Ancient History. Burrell. 1997.

Civilizations: Ten thousand years of ancient history. McIntosh and Twist. 2001. DK

30,000 Years of Art. 2007

Persian Fire. Holland. 2005.

Rubicon. Holland. 2003

Religion (library books)

Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism

Original Literature

The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid: Box Set. Translated by Fangles.

TTC lectures. Iliad and Odyssey.Vandiver.

Julius Caesar. Shakespeare

Historical Fiction (Free read ideas. He may choose not to read any of these)

I, Claudius. Graves. 1934

A King must Die 1958, Bull from the Sea. (sequel) Renault

Pompeii. Harris. 2003

Augustus. Williams. 2004

Film

Egypt

Cleopatra 1963

Greece

Black Orpheus 1959 (camus)

Electra 1962 (greek tragedy)

Iphigenia (greek tragedy)

Jason and the Argonauts 1963

My fair lady 1964 (pygmalion)

Oedipus the King 1968

Ulysses 1967 (james joyce)

The Trojan Women 1971 (euripedes)

Hercules 1997

Clash of the Titans 1981

O Brother Where art Thou 2000 (odyssey, reinterpretation)

Troy 2004

Rome

Ben Hur 1959

Spartacus 1960

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum 1966

I Claudius 1976 (mini-series)

Masada 1981 (mini-series)

China

Red Ciff.2008 (china 200ad)

• Like 11

The rest of his schedule:

Maths: Lots and Lots and Lots of maths!  No need to say more.  :lol:

Science: year 2 of a 2 year AP Physics schedule

Violin: Grade 8 ABRSM with a tutor

English: homegrown.  See description above

Mandarin: with a tutor

History: homegrown.  See description above

Extracurriculars: String Group, Trio, Badminton, Martial Arts, tramping, Origami.

• Like 4

Ruth, I like the way that you set up your English class.  I think I will "steal" it.  Different texts and themes, but the structure would work :)

Are you going to require that his free reads span Classic, Modern, and Dystopian/SciFi?  Or could they all come from one category?

Still somewhat tentative, and I'm afraid I may be overreaching, but here goes:

Math:  Khan Academy and AOPS; also considering Foerster's.  I can't decide which would be the best "main" and which would be best as supplements, so maybe they'll all be "co-mains."

English:  MCT, homegrown lit, Everything's an Argument, and probably a good dozen other resources

Science:  Campbell Biology with Quirks and Quarks

History:  Spielvogel and TTC's Western Civ II

Spanish:  not sure yet whether we'll just continue with Madrigal's alone, or add in Destinos, or try one of the other free online resources

Health: homegrown

Elective:  an intro engineering course from Auburn U

Logic:  Dover's Mathematical Logic

Elective:  PA Homeschoolers' AP Human Geography

Fine Arts:  Outside drawing classes; light homegrown intro to jazz

On the one hand, I don't want to overwhelm him with too many expectations; on the other hand, he'll have more time freshman year than at any other time in HS (job, CC courses, college apps, etc.), so I want to get some courses (both fundamentals like logic and "anytime" courses like health) done early. 

• Like 3

Our schedule isn't entirely firmed up yet, but so far:

AP Psych (PA Homeschoolers)

Chem (not sure details here, yet - maybe WTM Academy)

Algebra 2

French (also not sure of details)

US Government (probably Saylor, in the summer)

Essay writing 

Literature 

We're considering Interior Design, as dd has an interest in it, and Landry has a class in it. 

• Like 1

Although it may change, here is what we have so far:

Writing: Possibly BraveWriter online class [currently doing Kids Intermediate and enjoying it]

Literature: Varied to accompany History

Vocabulary: Merriam Webster Word Roots with Vocabulary.com

History: Looking for Spine to support Great Courses [Eastern Civilization and Western Civilization]

Science: Conceptual Physics with Clover Creek Science

Math: Geometry with Jann in TX

Spanish: Conversational with Live Lingua

Possibly -- Coding: Treehouse.com

• Like 1

Wow! Some of you are so organized!

Hello, Everybody! It's been a really long time since I've been on the boards, but staring high school in the face makes ya want to reach out!

My ds will likely be enrolled in the local ALE for most of his courses. Here's what we're looking at currently:

Math: Algebra 1 (We'll be working through Saxon Algebra 1/2 beginning next week in review/preparation for Algebra 1)

Language Arts: English 9 (Or, if we do this on our own, I'm looking at WriteShop 1 coupled with Lightning Lit Speech or Early-Mid American, and Vocabulary from Classical Roots bk C)

Science: Biology

Social Studies: World History

World Language: Spanish 1

The Arts: beginning Violin; Metal Arts

Health/Fitness: Taekwondo, cont'd (will soon be a high enough rank to help with the younger classes as volunteer/leadership training); possibly PE @ the ALE

CTE: Cartoon Animation

Elective: Study Skills & Strategies for High School Students (from Mangram-Strichart - done at home) - I'm pretty excited about this one. I happened on it just googling the subject. It looks pretty thorough and I have high hopes that it will help ds improve his comprehension & skills.

That's a lot of homework; some adjustments may need to be made.

Happy planning, Everyone!

• Like 1

My ninth grader next year will be doing:

Bible - Christian Adventure (a Bible study based on Pilgrim's Progress)

Language Arts - Paradigm English II: Composition Skills (technically a 10th grade course); 3 Progeny Press literature guides plus the study of Pilgrim's Progress

Math - Geometry, finish Consumer Math

Science - Paradigm Chemistry

History - History Alive! (complete Romans, Reformers, Revolutionaries, and begin World Empires, World Missions, World Wars)

French - Rosetta Stone

\

Ruth, I like the way that you set up your English class.  I think I will "steal" it.  Different texts and themes, but the structure would work :)

Are you going to require that his free reads span Classic, Modern, and Dystopian/SciFi?  Or could they all come from one category?

Sorry, Penguin, I just saw this.  I consider free reads, free. :001_smile:   DS just likes ideas for what to read.  He likes quality literature, but wants some stuff that is easier than the books we study,  so I look for fun classics and quality moderns.  He also loves short stories (as you can see), so he is likely to read a bunch of the anthologies just for fun anyway.  This term after finishing ALL of Lovecraft's 60 short stories, he chose Three men and a boat from the classic list, and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy from the the modern list.  Not sure what will be next - his choice.  We have 2 weeks until the end of term and then 2 weeks of holidays so he is likely to read 2 more books.  Come term 2 we will attack Brother's Karamazov which might take us 6 weeks or more as it it LONG and deep.

The structure I have laid out is working very well for us, allowing us to both attack literature and do persuasive writing about nonfiction.  It is ending up looking like this:

Week 1: Monday-Wednesday: Discuss literature .  Thursday: read some of They say I say.  Friday: write a response to something persuasive (2 hour time limit - dropping to 1 hour over the year)

Week 2: repeat

Week 3: Write literary analysis due Thursday so I can comment. Final draft due on Friday.

So far this is working.  Lots of discussion, some big thinking and writing, and some speed writes.

I'll be starting this schedule a year earlier with my younger. :001_smile:

Ruth in NZ

• Like 6

I think we'll focus on music theory by using a free on line course and checking it out over breakfast.

Do you know of one? We switched piano teachers this year and she's getting a lot more technique and a lot less theory.

Here's my thought so far:

Fourth Form Latin

Finish Saxon Algebra 2, maybe some Life of Fred?

Socratic Logic (Kreeft), 2nd Semester Psychology on Coursera

WTM-style Great Books for History & Lit

Geology by Gary Smith

Continue Rosetta Stone Polish

She wants to add German, maybe through Homeschool Connections online course

Economics

Plus possibly a couple of electives through the local PS - waiting to meet with a counselor there to find out our options but she hopes to try photojournalism, drama, maybe humanities (which would replace my great books plan)

Continuing piano & lots of dance

My current 9th grader is doing the following this year:

At our public high school:

Choir

Freshman Band

Ecological Biology

At home:

History: Started with BF Medieval and she wanted something else. She loves studying music (plays many instruments, loves music theory, listens to lots of classical) so she wanted to research the music of Medieval times (how it was written, played, used, etcĂ¢â‚¬Â¦) She is going to attempt to write a chant and play/sing it for us at the end of the summer.

English: She has done the Center for Lit online discussions about once a month and is also working through some of the Excellence in Literature lessons. Many of the books overlap, so in addition to the discussions she researches the author, writes author profiles and has an essay assignment for each book. She loves the independence of this curriculum. Also doing grammar and LTOW as needed.

Language: Latin Alive 1

Math: AoPS Geometry

She has also been watching Coursera and Great Courses classes on music theory. She has really enjoyed How to Listen to and Understand Great Music. She takes private flute and bassoon lessons and dabbles in piano and guitar. She has also taken electric bass lessons, but something had to go so those lessons are on hold for now.

• Like 2