Menu

What curriculum works for your family that virtually no one else uses?

Aurelia

Far Above Rubies Unit Study 

http://www.homeschoolradioshows.net/FarAboveRubies/FarAboveRubiesSampler1.pdf

Student of the Word K-12 full curriculum

http://www.sowcurriculum.com/sow/newpage1.htm

REVISED Alpha-Phonics. This is NOT the ORIGINAL italic version that is widely available.

http://www.exodusbooks.com/details.aspx?id=54721

or

http://chalcedon.edu/store/item/alpha-phonics-a-primer-for-beginning-readers/

Don Potter's supplements for above Alpha-Phonics

http://www.donpotter.net/reading_clinic.html

Saxon Phonics for 1st and 2nd grade.  The PP up-thread who mentioned it is the only other person I've ever seen admit to using it!  But I love, love, love that program.  My ds whinges about it, but it has made both my kids into very competent, confident, and avid readers, as well as very good spellers. Did I mention that I love it?!

• Like 1

Well, I think we are about to enter this realm.  I plan to use Wayfarers, RLTL, ELTL, and Strayer-Upton.  We already use Greek N' Stuff for Latin and Greek and very few seem to use that.  Hake Grammar we use and that also isn't all that popular.  I guess the main thing we use that lots of people use is Saxon Math....

That being said, I think lots of people will begin using Wayfarers/RLTL/ELTL soon........I'm just a little ahead of the times thanks to Hunter :-)

• Like 3

Well, I think we are about to enter this realm. I plan to use Wayfarers, RLTL, ELTL, and Strayer-Upton. We already use Greek N' Stuff for Latin and Greek and very few seem to use that. Hake Grammar we use and that also isn't all that popular. I guess the main thing we use that lots of people use is Saxon Math....

That being said, I think lots of people will begin using Wayfarers/RLTL/ELTL soon........I'm just a little ahead of the times thanks to Hunter :-)

Once more levels are published, I will be shocked if Wayfarers isn't the "must have" curriculum for at least a couple months.

• Like 2

Royal Fireworks Press' Aesop's Fables: My Book about Reading, Writing Thinking 1-4 

We used these for youngest DD last year in 1st and she loved them: a lesson lasted about a week, and included vocabulary, reading, summarizing, grammar and writing, and coloring/art activities.  It was awesome and at only $5 per book when purchased all together, it was a bargain, too.  Sometimes the writing portion would be too much for her so I would scribe, but other than that it was perfect!

• Like 5

Well, already mentioned here - but we have been using SRA reading labs borrowed from our city's teachers library..... it is 1b and 2b, from 1969 and 1973!!!

Phonics Tutor (classic) I was just given this last week so can't say long term.... but my 11yo dyslexic, my 9yo 'something' and 6yo advanced student have all been happily doing it on computer.

Sister Wendy DVDs for art. She has a thick British accent, but we love her ; )

Thankfully, I bought the DVD set when it was on sale. : )

http://www.amazon.com/Sister-Wendy-The-Complete-Collection/dp/B00006G8FJ

I have fond memories of those videos from art appreciation in high school. Sister Wendy is the best. I wish she was on Netflix.

• Like 1

Royal Fireworks Press' Aesop's Fables: My Book about Reading, Writing Thinking 1-4

We used these for youngest DD last year in 1st and she loved them: a lesson lasted about a week, and included vocabulary, reading, summarizing, grammar and writing, and coloring/art activities. It was awesome and at only $5 per book when purchased all together, it was a bargain, too. Sometimes the writing portion would be too much for her so I would scribe, but other than that it was perfect!

We've used these, and they're very cute!
  • Like 2

Cambridge Latin-Whole to part works for my DD better than part to whole

Uzinggo Science (DD works though the lesson and labs on the computer, then extends it using various college books and a lab kit)

Mathletics/Spellodrome/IntoScience -DD loves the competitive aspect of it, and, in the case of IntoScience, loves the Southern Hemisphere content.

Vintage books. For spelling we use Wheeler's Speller, for composition we use Maxwell's School Composition, and for reading we use Elson Readers. I also pull from vintage books for French and Latin lessons for my older child.

How do you use Wheeler's Speller and for what ages? I've been drooling over it for a couple of years now. Last year I even printed it out and made lesson plans but opted to use Natural Speller instead. I would love to learn how it works for you.

I have fond memories of those videos from art appreciation in high school. Sister Wendy is the best. I wish she was on Netflix.

They are on the DVD option.  I think I need to get one to see what it's all about.

I'm loving this thread.  Lots of new things to check out.

For us we have loved The Complete Book of Science along with Magic School Bus and Bill Nye videos and lots of Let's Read and Find Out type books.  I think The Complete Book is now called Science Essentials or something along those lines.

Saxon Phonics for 1st and 2nd grade.  The PP up-thread who mentioned it is the only other person I've ever seen admit to using it!  But I love, love, love that program.  My ds whinges about it, but it has made both my kids into very competent, confident, and avid readers, as well as very good spellers. Did I mention that I love it?!

We used it and I concur that, of all the things we've ever used, this is BY FAR the curriculum I most recommend to others.  Produces superior readers (and spellers).  My friend's daughter has been asked to repeat Grade 2;  I assessed her and realized she needs phonics help.   Her mom has bought this (all 3 levels: K, 1, 2) for her to start on to heal the mess she's in and I know it'll work (she's going to repeat 2nd grade, but the plan is for her to work through all three levels by end of 2nd grade next Spring 2016) and she'll be completely ready to move on from now on.    Love it love it love it.

• Like 1

We have advanced/accelerated our kids in math and are using Saxon Math 54 and above. I know that Saxon Math is common here, but it doesn't seem many families with advanced/accelerated math students use Saxon Math. We found 54 and it was a good fit. We are in Saxon Math 65 now and plan to continue for as long as it is working.

We used these for youngest DD last year in 1st and she loved them: a lesson lasted about a week, and included vocabulary, reading, summarizing, grammar and writing, and coloring/art activities.  It was awesome and at only $5 per book when purchased all together, it was a bargain, too.  Sometimes the writing portion would be too much for her so I would scribe, but other than that it was perfect!

I have these 4 books sitting on a shelf.  I need to review them to see if my youngest might be interested before she gets too old for them!

• Like 2

Phonics Road

I don't enjoy watching the videos but my oldest has made huge improvements in her spelling skills. My son is starting it this year and is doing well. It just works for us and it's how I learned phonics. I went to a private school that taught Orton-Gillingham style phonics.

Nancy Larson Science

It gets done and my kids remember so much. Easy! Love that I don't plan!

My other choices are more mainstream I think...

Because of your post I looked up Nancy Larson. The year 2 kit looks perfect for my girls next year. The price is huge though! Do you find the program worth the expense?

I love Journeys Through Bookland and it has become a core part of my younger kids' literature time.  I am not much of a curriculum user, so this is the closest thing I can easily identify.   :)

Oh, some of the Signum University course packs.  http://shop.signumuniversity.org/products-page/course-packs/ (We haven't used Mythgard, but I look at them, too.)

• Like 2

My dd loved these!!

• I remember when it seemed no one used Horizons math except us. 

• Creating a Masterpiece for art.  Even I do the lessons, they make amazing art

• Evan Moore Daily Geography.  My kids loved these and were sad to have no more to do

• Like 2

My Book House Series.  And, as two PP's said, Saxon Phonics.  Fantastic program.  We used K and have 10 lessons of grade 1 left.  My daughter and I both enjoy the Legends and Leagues series for geography, which I don't see mentioned often.

• Like 2

Oh, some of the Signum University course packs.  http://shop.signumuniversity.org/products-page/course-packs/ (We haven't used Mythgard, but I look at them, too.)

DS/10th and I were just eyeballing those! :001_smile: He really, really enjoyed the free Faerie & Fantasy course from Mythgard this year. We couldn't decide which one to try first. May I be nosy and ask which ones you've tried?

Because of your post I looked up Nancy Larson. The year 2 kit looks perfect for my girls next year. The price is huge though! Do you find the program worth the expense?

Yes because all supplies are included and I do zero planning. You can sometimes buy kits used or you can resell yours after. I'm saving my kits for my little people I've blogged about how we use it. You can message me and I can find the links.

Yes because all supplies are included and I do zero planning. You can sometimes buy kits used or you can resell yours after. I'm saving my kits for my little people I've blogged about how we use it. You can message me and I can find the links.

I found the science info on your blog and oodles of other great info too. Thank you!

The Sentence Family

Cursive First

Singapore's Sentences to Paragraphs

Addition the Fun Way

GEMs guides

Calvert's Verticy writing (completed more slowly than scheduled in our case)

Engineering is Elementary/Engineering Adventures

Progeny Press Lit guides

Prufrock Press logic - Detective Club, Can You Count in Greek?, etc.

I just posted this to a thread on spelling but wanted to add it here - Spellquizzer is a reasonably-priced download that has made spelling painless in our home. We have been using it for a few years. If you don't want to go to the trouble of creating your own spelling lists, they have ready-made lists that you can import.

http://www.spellquizzer.com/

I found the science info on your blog and oodles of other great info too. Thank you!

Ohh good! I spaced out and forgot to link. Oops! You can email me if you have other questions. I'll try to help...or at least I'll give you my opinions!

Reading Made Easy!  I absolutely LOVE this curriculum and have no idea why so few people use it.  (Although even I used it with only one of my three children.  I had to find something different for dd #2, or who knows HOW long she would've refused to read. :glare:   DD #3 had LDs and required... a LOT.)

ME TOO!!!!  Some of my best homeschooling memories are with this book!  My (now high school) kids still remember loving it too.  I can't say enough good about it, but I have never met anyone else who used it.  

The Best Writing Lessons Ever - once I figured out how to implement it, DD's writing improved dramatically, and it was inexpensive, too!

Oooh I have that book and keep looking through it trying to figure out how to use it. *Please* tell me how you have implemented it!! (PM me if you'd prefer, so I don't derail your thread ;-) )

We used Saxon Phonics through Grade 2, and I credit it for giving my child a solid foundation in phonics and spelling. I enjoyed it so much, I wish I could other curriculum written like it that created such results.

The vintage book Composition book by grades, Wheeler's Speller and Dictation by Day

Prufrock Logic books (I find these to be a better value than others on the market)

• Like 1