Menu

Questions on the logistics and how-tos fasting (for spiritual purposes)

pehp

I am on the pulpit committee for our church as we seek to call a new pastor.  (Our current pastor has been the only one I have ever known, he has been there for over 30 years, and he married us, baptized my children, buried my mother, etc...so I am very fond of him and his wonderful wife.  Irreplaceable, they are! Anyhow...)

I have been feeling *strongly called* to fast on a regular (weekly?) basis as we begin the process of starting the pastoral search.  The committee was formed last month, and it could take a while for us to find the right pastor for our tiny, rural congregation.  I have never done any fasting before, and am interested in doing this.  I am feeling called to fast from food, not from other things (i have fasted before from media, books, and so on).  I am very healthy, no health concerns.  

How do you DO this?  Do you give up all food for the day entirely?  Or do you eat some things and not others?  Or drink juice and water?  I just don't know the logistics of fasting.  I assume they vary from person to person, but I want a true fast--not just 'giving up chocolate for a day' (which would, yes, be a sacrifice, but I think what I am feeling is that I need to do something beyond that).  

I may be overthinking this!!!  I assume I would not exercise on a fasting day--I usually exercise each morning, except on Sundays.

Any thoughts?? 

Fasting is something that is totally and completely up to you.  What you fast is up to you.  I've fasted various things at different times in my life, and I don't think I've done any one thing twice... it just depends on what would be a sacrifice for me that I feel is appropriate at the time.

Some that I can think of:

no meat/animal products (the Daniel fast, usually done for 21 days, but could be done however works for you)

no sweets or snacks

no 'obvious' carbs (no bread, rice, pasta... that sort of thing)

There are also juice fasts, where you drink juice only, or a full fast where it's water only.  On full 21 day Daniel fasts there are 'juice only' days built in, usually, and juice is your friend :lol: .

The most important part of fasting is to make sure that the time is spent in prayer and seeking God.  Other than that, I really think any type of fast is just as good as any other.

Anyway, all that to say that it is really up to you.  I've done a few of the ones above and then I've done social media or whatever at other times.  It all just depends on life at the time, what feels right, etc.  

Good luck to you!  

• Like 1

The eastern orthodox fast is a good fast: vegan, no processed foods (no sugar), no caffeine (green tea ok), no alcohol, no tobacco. I found this one very hard to keep. It was long!

Another fast is ramadan: eat before sunrise, and after sunset only. Easier to keep but I found that those who keep it tended to take on a binge/fast attitude among those more prone to temptation. However if you take it seriously and share the evening meal it can be edifying.

I found both of these to be fulfilling. Then there's the three-day water only fast but I'm not sure that is practical for a mother without household help. One does get faint!

Practically, when I first fasted, it took some mindfullness to remember that the hunger was a gift, a reminder to think of god and pray, rather than temptation to overcome. I learned to "eat hunger" by using it to share in the suffering of the needy and that was positive.

I need to do a fast.

• Like 1

Thanks! Food (ha) for thought.  We already eat a gluten-free, mostly-unprocessed diet and I used to be vegan and my husband is right now (whew!), so those aren't too far afield of our typical daily fare--not enough to feel like it is a true sacrifice, if that makes sense.  

I used to do a lot of Lenten fasting, but really have not in many years.  We give up various things at different times, like meat, or desserts, etc at Lent.  I haven't fasted during Lent in probably 2-3 years.  My husband fasts during Lent every year. He's good like that.

The fasting during daylight hours appeals to me and seems practical.  I know I get a little dizzy without food for too long, so that way I could still eat *something* in the evening. I would only do this one day a week, it's not going to be a 3 or more day commitment unless I get that calling, but I don't have it now. 

• Like 1

The Muslim way of fasting is no food or drink from sunrise to sunset.  I honestly know people of other faiths who have done just no food or even simplified food during their fasting period.  Coptic Christians when they fast actually give up a lot of food groups and are basically vegan.  Many people do a juice/vegetable fast.

I think that if the intention is there, that is the most important thing.  Also, finding time for regular prayer during that time.

Good luck. :)

• Like 1

The eastern orthodox fast is a good fast: vegan, no processed foods (no sugar), no caffeine (green tea ok), no alcohol, no tobacco. I found this one very hard to keep. It was long!

I'm Eastern Orthodox. While this is mostly accurate, not all of these things are actually canonically called for during fasting periods. 

Our fast is essentially vegan, with the addition of wine and oil being forbidden on most weekdays. Many extend wine to include all alcohol, though this should be done under the direction of one's spiritual father. Caffeine, processed foods, and sugar are not canonically forbidden, though many pious families may try to limit these. 

Eastern Orthodoxy has fasting a couple days a week year-round as well as some extended fast periods preceding major feasts of the Church (Pascha/Easter, Christmas, ect.) 

Thanks! I have read Hunger for God--helpful.  (Piper, I believe.)  I will check out the other book as well. And I have 'fasted' before and seen the honor that I believe God gives it--just not from food other than Lenten fasting.  My fasts have centered around media, books, computers, telephones--my 'dark day!' They are fruitful in major ways. 

In my church a normal fast (ie, you have no medical issues, are not pregnant or nursing, etc.) would be for 24 hours (so 2 meals... generally missing Breakfast and Lunch) and would be no food of any sort and no drinks including water.    You would start the fast with a prayer (which would include what you are fasting about) and also end it with prayer.   It is considered proper to break the fast early if you start having problems (ie dizzy or faint).

• Like 3

I'm Eastern Orthodox. While this is mostly accurate, not all of these things are actually canonically called for during fasting periods. 

Our fast is essentially vegan, with the addition of wine and oil being forbidden on most weekdays. Many extend wine to include all alcohol, though this should be done under the direction of one's spiritual father. Caffeine, processed foods, and sugar are not canonically forbidden, though many pious families may try to limit these. 

Eastern Orthodoxy has fasting a couple days a week year-round as well as some extended fast periods preceding major feasts of the Church (Pascha/Easter, Christmas, ect.) 

As described above, Eastern Orthodox fasting doesn't mean "no food" at all, but limiting food choices, which has been described above. The reason for this is related to the first instruction/prohibition given to man in the Garden of Eden, which is related to food. God didn't say, "Don't eat anything," but "Don't eat this one food."  So in practice, that's how we fast -- limiting the types of foods we eat. There are only a couple of times in our practice when "fast" means abstinence from food.  One is before receiving the Eucharist (fasting from midnight the night before until after receiving the Eucharist) and one is on the first day of Lent ("Clean Monday").  Some also include Holy Friday during Holy Week is a total abstinence day.  

Anyway, I just found that interesting as we converted to this faith.  I'd always thought "fast" meant "no food."   

Thank you for clarifying. I got my information from the Russian peasant class, and online from the same. Not including vodka in Russia would make for a foolish fast, but it's interesting to know the official version!

My former pastor, a Protestant, described fasting as "denying ourselves the anesthetic that hides the pain of our sin."  

Think about what it is that is your "go to" instead of God when you are under stress, angry, frustrated or whatever, and fast from that.  And turn instead to prayer.  That is a good way to begin fasting.  

Disclosure:  I am now Eastern Orthodox, since 2007, but I fasted as a Protestant for many years before that.  I'm 57 now.

Fasting is something very personal between you and God. There is no right or wrong way to fast, If you choose to fast completely for a set number of hours or number of meals, that is fine. If you drink only water, or water and juice for a pre-determined time, that is also acceptable. Fasting is a private time between you and God. There are no rules.

Another fast is ramadan: eat before sunrise, and after sunset only. Easier to keep but I found that those who keep it tended to take on a binge/fast attitude among those more prone to temptation. However if you take it seriously and share the evening meal it can be edifying.

I found both of these to be fulfilling. Then there's the three-day water only fast but I'm not sure that is practical for a mother without household help. One does get faint!

Practically, when I first fasted, it took some mindfullness to remember that the hunger was a gift, a reminder to think of god and pray, rather than temptation to overcome. I learned to "eat hunger" by using it to share in the suffering of the needy and that was positive.

I need to do a fast.

Umm.... I'm Eastern Orthodox and we eat sugar, drink caffeine, and I guess some people smoke.    I'm not sure where you heard we don't do sugar or caffeine, but this is the first time I've ever heard that.

To the OP.  While I think it is a lovely idea, I'm not sure how I can help.  EO don't tend to decide on their own to fast, so that is kind of foreign to us.  When I was Protestant I knew several people who would take a concern or problem and set aside a day or so to fast about it.  It would often be regularly observed (like every Monday or something). I think they would not eat any food and spend a lot more time in prayer.    Have you thought about speaking to your pastor and getting some guidance from him?

edited to add:  I see that someone already answered for you...oops, sorry.

I think my challenge now is how to fast from food without coming down with a screeching headache!!!  

I get VERY shaky without food, and grumpy too.  I suppose you could argue that it uncovers the pain of my sin in a big way.  I did the 30 hour famine in high school, and it was....an experience.  However, I've so far found it *too* big a way to parent through....

So when I've fasted from food, I've had smoothies.  It still gives my body calories, enough to not go into the "hungry/angry/shaky/incompetent" mode, but I still *feel* like I'm not eating, because it's all liquid, and therefore it is an appreciable sacrifice for me.  So for me, that has worked well as a middle ground.

I get VERY shaky without food, and grumpy too.  I suppose you could argue that it uncovers the pain of my sin in a big way.  I did the 30 hour famine in high school, and it was....an experience.  However, I've so far found it *too* big a way to parent through....

So when I've fasted from food, I've had smoothies.  It still gives my body calories, enough to not go into the "hungry/angry/shaky/incompetent" mode, but I still *feel* like I'm not eating, because it's all liquid, and therefore it is an appreciable sacrifice for me.  So for me, that has worked well as a middle ground.

Thanks! This is so helpful. I may try it as well.  Actually I did a cleanse (health fast--dr junger's) two years ago and managed it well as long as I had my breakfast smoothie.  I have found I can skip *one* meal, but beyond that I start to get sick.  I think I have a touch of hypoglycemia or something, b/c I get the shakes, headache, and so on easily when I don't have regular food.

When I fast from food - I do not eat or drink anything for a 24 hour period.  there have been times I have physically been unable to do so.  (e.g. pg)

it is an opportunity to focus more on prayer and communing with the spirit.  when I feel hungry - I've found it is very effective for me to return my focus on the purpose of my fast.  e.g. hunger pang - and I immediately think about the purpose for which I am fasting and focus on that.

fasting needs to have a purpose -otherwise you're just starving yourself.

so, why are you choosing to fast?  what do you hope to get out of it?  (you don't have to answer, but just think about your answer.)

I have fasted for guidance, for strength, for my children or other loved one, etc.  but there needs to be a "point".

• Like 1

My former pastor, a Protestant, described fasting as "denying ourselves the anesthetic that hides the pain of our sin."

Think about what it is that is your "go to" instead of God when you are under stress, angry, frustrated or whatever, and fast from that. And turn instead to prayer. That is a good way to begin fasting.

Disclosure: I am now Eastern Orthodox, since 2007, but I fasted as a Protestant for many years before that. I'm 57 now.

This is helpful...thanks for posting!

When I fast from food - I do not eat or drink anything for a 24 hour period.  there have been times I have physically been unable to do so.  (e.g. pg)

it is an opportunity to focus more on prayer and communing with the spirit.  when I feel hungry - I've found it is very effective for me to return my focus on the purpose of my fast.  e.g. hunger pang - and I immediately think about the purpose for which I am fasting and focus on that.

fasting needs to have a purpose -otherwise you're just starving yourself.

so, why are you choosing to fast?  what do you hope to get out of it?  (you don't have to answer, but just think about your answer.)

I have fasted for guidance, for strength, for my children or other loved one, etc.  but there needs to be a "point".

My point is in the OP, I think!  It's because I feel called to do so as we begin the search for our new pastor. I'm on the pastoral search committee and we haven't called a pastor in 30 years!!

My point is in the OP, I think!  It's because I feel called to do so as we begin the search for our new pastor. I'm on the pastoral search committee and we haven't called a pastor in 30 years!!

yes - I recall that.    

you feel called to fast as you begin a search for a new pastor.  but what exactly does that mean to you? what are you expecting to get out of it?

are you fasting you'll find one?  are you fasting you'll be open to the guidance of the spirit so you'll know when the right one comes?  what?

again, you don't have to answer, but you might want to think about it.

I kinda disagree a wee bit that fasting has to have an acknowledged point.  There doesn't have to be one other than the Lord said "When you fast" (not "if" you fast).  In our faith, we fast because that's what we do on certain days of the week and at certain times of the year.  We do it because it's part of our liturgical ilfe.  We're not trying to get something out of it (other than closer communion with God, and probably some self-discipline to that end).  I do know there is the practice of fasting for an outcome out there, and I'm not saying that's not valid at all, just saying fasting doesn't have to be for an outcome.  Most of the time, it's for in IN-come, if you will. 

• Like 1