Menu

unit independent study on animation/video games/cgi??

After browsing a few what-are-you-doing-for-8th-grade threads, I asked dd what would she like to study independently.  It really came as no shock to me that she said animation and video games.  So, I thought I might approach the Hive and see if anyone had any suggestions for pursuing an interest such as this?

I plan on her taking an online programming course through FundaFunda, probably spend some time researching the history/evolution of animation (she recently competed in History Day with a website based on Walt Disney and how he changed animation), and possibly work on her own production.  As a cool bonus, I have a friend who works for Pixar and has done CGI for years, but they're in CA and we're in TN, so it's not like I can just take a day and visit (but I'm not above trying to finagle a vacation to CA and calling it "school").

We are limited financially, so anything that might be doable on the cheap?  We did go through homeschool co-op and pay for the year-long Youth Digital Minecraft modding class, but that didn't work out so well for us.  I'm a little leery about spending that kind of money again.

Any other future game designers/cgi innovators out there?