Menu

Online Japanese class - know of any?

Ds13 really wants to study Japanese in high school (this fall) and I am looking for an online class. The Potter's School doesn't offer Japanese anymore, and Landry Academy is still looking for someone to teach their Japanese class. Does anyone know of any other online class options? I would rather he not self-study with Irasshai. I definitely want him to have a teacher to answer questions and provide help with pronunciation. 

My ds is using BYU's Independent study with the teacher component. This entails a weekly hourly session with a TA and a speaking appointment that you make on your own time per lesson. The student would need to be able to skype because the TA wants to see the student's face so that he/she is not reading off of notes. There are 7 lessons per semester which have a speaking component, listening component and written component. It takes about 2 weeks per lesson. We had signed up for Landry Academy's class, but when that was cancelled, I stumbled onto this. I would definitely recommend spending the extra money for the teacher component. It's working for ds and he will continue.

• Like 1

Virtual Homeschool Group has had a Japanese Kanji class in the past but it's not clear if they will be offering it next year.

CLRC  may be offering Japanese if they get sufficient interest.

Not a live course but several others on the board have used GPB's Irrashai program.which has free video lectures.

I sent CLRC an email letting them know that I have a child (age 15) interested in Japanese next fall.