Menu

Does anyone know what happened to Tanglewood School / Education?

Mimicoto

I've come across mentions of the Tangelwood School / Tanglewood education in my search for a history and literature-rich curriculum, but it seems to have disappeared.  Does anyone know if it's still around?

We're looking for a classically influenced curriculum (rigorous and history-rich) with a strong literature / living-books component - and I'm trying to find something as ready-made (i.e. minimal planning on my part) as possible due to my own time constraints.  From what I've read about Tanglewood, it would fit the bill nicely.  Suggestions welcome  :bigear:

stm4him - not sure if you're still following this thread, but thought I'd give it a try.  I have spent the last few days working my way through Barefoot Meanderings....I'm really liking what I see and am thinking of using it as the base for our homeschool curriculum.  My only question is whether contemporary literature is incorporated into the program or if it's mostly older, public domain books?  Since you've spent a bit more time with it than I have, I thought you might have a sense of that before I start digging through the reading lists in more detail :rolleyes:   Any info would be appreciated - so glad you referred me to it!

• Like 1

We've used 2 levels of ELTL, and everything is in the public domain. I was a little iffy on a few of the level one books -- I didn't care for them all -- but plan to use it again with minor tweaking for DS and to continue on to ELTL3 with my older DD. It's my understanding all levels of ELTL, anyway, are public domain books.

stm4him - not sure if you're still following this thread, but thought I'd give it a try.  I have spent the last few days working my way through Barefoot Meanderings....I'm really liking what I see and am thinking of using it as the base for our homeschool curriculum.  My only question is whether contemporary literature is incorporated into the program or if it's mostly older, public domain books?  Since you've spent a bit more time with it than I have, I thought you might have a sense of that before I start digging through the reading lists in more detail :rolleyes:   Any info would be appreciated - so glad you referred me to it!

Yes, stm4him is correct.  The ELTL books are public domain, keeping the overall cost of ELTL lower.  However, Wayfarers has a good mix of older (public domain) and contemporary books scheduled.  I love, love, love her choices.  Many of the books in wayfarers that we don't already own, where on our wish list or to-read list.  Kathy is very kind and helpful and will answer your questions on the yahoo group.  

• Like 2

It has captured my heart as of late. Just waiting for money. I have been calling it The Holy Grail of curriculum... Lol.

I have been looking and looking at Wayfarers. It looks so amazing! I am definitely considering Wayfarers Ancients for dd next year ("sixth" grade). ELTL looks fantastic too. I have been wanting to go more in a CM/literature direction for a long time, (but not pull it all together myself) and then I found Wayfarers! (Cue angels singing). :)

• Like 2

Just so you know, she is moving at a really fast pace with putting out the other volumes so if there is a different place in history you would like to start it shouldn't be that long of a wait.  I am waiting for Modern :-)  The only downside is that the science spines won't be done for some of the other levels, but I think there is enough other science reading scheduled that I don't need to worry about that.....

• Like 3

I'm multi-quote challenged tonight!

Thanks to each of you for adding these additional pieces to the puzzle - I'm nodding in agreement, understanding and appreciation at each of your posts :-) This curriculum really checks a lot of boxes for our family - and for me as the planner in residence. A deep, rich, rigorous course of study with the beauty and luxury of great literature and art built in.....and everything chosen and planned out ... *exhale* :-))

rimk3 - will check out the Yahoo Group. Thank you for the link! Does your post mean you've implemented parts of this program? Would love to know about your hands-on experience if so.

oneddmanybooks - I could've written your post! I think I heard that chorus of angels too ;-)

I've spent a lot of time with the materials over the past few days, and I think we're going to take the leap. stm4him, we've lucked out on timing as both dc's are studying ancients. Great to know that future volumes are in the works - this curriculum looks like an absolute keeper! BTW, agreed that there are ample science resources contemplated - I 'think' I'll add BFSU as the science spine and just slot it into the sched.

• Like 1

If you are using ancients you should be good. Quarks is the science spine her husband is writing. Botany and zoology are the two books for ancients. Botany is out including notebooking pages and zoology she thinks will be out by the end of the month.

I'm multi-quote challenged tonight!

Thanks to each of you for adding these additional pieces to the puzzle - I'm nodding in agreement, understanding and appreciation at each of your posts :-) This curriculum really checks a lot of boxes for our family - and for me as the planner in residence. A deep, rich, rigorous course of study with the beauty and luxury of great literature and art built in.....and everything chosen and planned out ... *exhale* :-))

rimk3 - will check out the Yahoo Group. Thank you for the link! Does your post mean you've implemented parts of this program? Would love to know about your hands-on experience if so.

oneddmanybooks - I could've written your post! I think I heard that chorus of angels too ;-)

I've spent a lot of time with the materials over the past few days, and I think we're going to take the leap. stm4him, we've lucked out on timing as both dc's are studying ancients. Great to know that future volumes are in the works - this curriculum looks like an absolute keeper! BTW, agreed that there are ample science resources contemplated - I 'think' I'll add BFSU as the science spine and just slot it into the sched.

No we have not implemented yet, but plan to start Wayfarers Ancient in the fall.  I'm getting acquainted with the flow of the it right now and deciding what core lists will work best for what child, etc.  I had to print out a couple weeks to see the big picture and rhythm, then I got down to the nitty gritty and wrote all over it to see how it would fit into our current rhythm and routines.  Now that Kathy Jo has completed the book/resource list for all four levels, I am getting a better sense as to where we will end up.  There are resources that I want to use that are not in Wayfarers, but that is part of the beauty of Wayfarers -- its flexibility.  I'll use BFSU as an example since you mentioned it.  I'm not planning on buying the recommended science experiment books scheduled in Wayfarers because we already own and enjoy BFSU.  I'm leaving lessons B5-B12 in Vol 1 for when we start Wayarers Ancients and then move to BFSU Vol 2's B thread.  I'm not stressing about lining everything up perfectly and we will integrate other BFSU threads as we need or desire.  So, with Wayfarers we will go deep with botany and zoology reading (Quarks for Spine, Core independent reading for 9 year old and core buddy reading with 7 year old twins), but continue to integrate science with BFSU for the "science activities."  I also do not plan on doing BFSU every week because we do nature study as well.

My caution, however, is to resist adding to Wayfarers.  Wayfarers is complete, but flexible enough to do BFSU instead of the recommended experiments/activities, but not in addition too.  I'm only mentioning this because I struggle with planning too much and having unrealistic expectations, then crashing and burning.  Also, we will use something different for art, again very easy to change that out.  Art is scheduled two times a week.  One day we will so something like Drawing with Children or Artango.  The other day we will do Tea Time and loop things like Poetry, Shakespeare, ect.  That way we can continue with that part of our week (that we love) without adding to Wayfarers.

What I love about Wayfarers is that if we do the reading (appropriate amount for each child) and narrating, the activities are gravy and I don't have to feel guilt about not getting to them every week.  I believe it will give me structure where I need structure and freedom where I need freedom.  To me, wayfarers gives grace for the seasons of life without forsaking excellence for my family.

I hope that answered your question and probably questions you didn't even have.  lol.   ;)

ETA:  I have used RLTL 1-3 and ELTL 1-2.

• Like 4

No we have not implemented yet, but plan to start Wayfarers Ancient in the fall.  I'm getting acquainted with the flow of the it right now and deciding what core lists will work best for what child, etc.  I had to print out a couple weeks to see the big picture and rhythm, then I got down to the nitty gritty and wrote all over it to see how it would fit into our current rhythm and routines.  Now that Kathy Jo has completed the book/resource list for all four levels, I am getting a better sense as to where we will end up.  There are resources that I want to use that are not in Wayfarers, but that is part of the beauty of Wayfarers -- its flexibility.  I'll use BFSU as an example since you mentioned it.  I'm not planning on buying the recommended science experiment books scheduled in Wayfarers because we already own and enjoy BFSU.  I'm leaving lessons B5-B12 in Vol 1 for when we start Wayarers Ancients and then move to BFSU Vol 2's B thread.  I'm not stressing about lining everything up perfectly and we will integrate other BFSU threads as we need or desire.  So, with Wayfarers we will go deep with botany and zoology reading (Quarks for Spine, Core independent reading for 9 year old and core buddy reading with 7 year old twins), but continue to integrate science with BFSU for the "science activities."  I also do not plan on doing BFSU every week because we do nature study as well.

My caution, however, is to resist adding to Wayfarers.  Wayfarers is complete, but flexible enough to do BFSU instead of the recommended experiments/activities, but not in addition too.  I'm only mentioning this because I struggle with planning too much and having unrealistic expectations, then crashing and burning.  Also, we will use something different for art, again very easy to change that out.  Art is scheduled two times a week.  One day we will so something like Drawing with Children or Artango.  The other day we will do Tea Time and loop things like Poetry, Shakespeare, ect.  That way we can continue with that part of our week (that we love) without adding to Wayfarers.

What I love about Wayfarers is that if we do the reading (appropriate amount for each child) and narrating, the activities are gravy and I don't have to feel guilt about not getting to them every week.  I believe it will give me structure where I need structure and freedom where I need freedom.  To me, wayfarers gives grace for the seasons of life without forsaking excellence for my family.

I hope that answered your question and probably questions you didn't even have.  lol.   ;)

ETA:  I have used RLTL 1-3 and ELTL 1-2.

:iagree:

You have articulated this beautifully!  I particularly appreciate your "What I love about Wayfarers..." paragraph.  Nail on the head, with complete eloquence.  Bravo!

The structure and flow of the program lends itself very well to substitutions, and the Core readings round things out so nicely.  I will be subbing for art as well as dd has outside art instruction, and will need to make room for French (we're already bilingual, but the kids will continue with formal reading, writing and grammar study to ensure complete literacy.

Great idea to spend time upfront getting it ready for your family.  I will follow your lead!  ;)

BTW, BFSU will be new for us this year - it looks solid and I'm happy to hear your family has enjoyed it and found it useful.

• Like 1