Menu

What curriculum does it seem "everyone" loves...but didn't work for you?

Halcyon

Drawing with Children - just can't get it going.

Peterson Directed Handwriting (cursive first option) - my one daughter couldn't make a recognizable first letter after working for weeks....

MEP math - just didn't know what to do when son was stuck on some foundational skills...

MFW. *shrug* We used the Explorers year. It spreads itself too thin by trying to reach such a broad range. My olders felt it was far beneath their level, and my kids who were young enough to need the younger learner books did just fine with the main set. The notebooking pages were so plain compared to the ones we've used for other curricula. It's moderately popular here, and very popular in our local homeschool community. Whatever floats your boat?

I think we are in the same "boat" and I don't think we will be returning to MFW for the reasons you mentioned above.

DD and I love the straightforwardness of Saxon.  When someone says it is soul-killing and boring, DD and I think clean and neat and no-nonsense!

LOF -- I thought DD might appreciate the story aspect and humor. Nope. Too silly. She asked for her straightforward Saxon back.

• Like 1

We're MCT lovers here, but I agree with you on the writing; we didn't use that component.

We're still using some MCT stuff because I haven't found anything better, but his writing makes my skin crawl right off my body. We just use it for grammar, vocabulary, and poetry, since I'll saw off my own right arm before I use his writing to teach my kids writing. We were going to use MUS Algebra as pre-algebra as some have done here, but when I compared it to AoPS Pre-A, there was no contest. I sold the MUS. I loved RS B and started out loving C, but it was too slow very quickly. I don't think we've had any other flops, though. Things tend to flop for us during the planning stages (recreational researcher here).

• Like 3

AAS - too many pieces, no retention

MM - virtually no retention

OPGTR - by the time we dropped it, it was like pulling teeth from a tiger to get DD to do a lesson

BFSU - just could not get it going. We needed something more laid out.

Some things we liked certain levels of but hated others. DD loved SOTW1, but HATED SOTW4. We did not like FLL1, but FLL4 was excellent.

MFW, only tried lower levels

McHenry. Just okay. Seemed like science that was trying hard to appeal to some particular sort of learner that didn't include my kids.

MCT after the first two levels. Love Island and Town, though.

BFSU

Oooh, I love these threads!

Phonics Pathways--youngest hated it, even though it was no problem for him. I think it was too repetitive for him at the time. For first and part of second grade he loved Calvert Language Arts.

Math U See--Oldest has ASD & attention issues, but manipulatives were too distracting and unnecessary. He did not learn from the videos. Rod & Staff was a much better fit.

Math in Focus--We hit a wall here when it became clear that younger son needed tons of practice with math facts and was starting to loathe number bonds. For the amount of money this program costs, you would think math fact practice would be incorporated into the curriculum. Oh well, lesson learned. Rod & Staff with lots of enrichment worked much better.

BFSU--loved the concept, too much work to implement.

FIAR--the books were great, but the boys had no interest in the activities.

Memoria Press. full core--the style was too repetitive, and just too much for my youngest. I still like it enough to use portions of it, just not a full core.

FLL--too repetitive for youngest. It bored him.

Math Mammoth--too many problems on the page, couldn't get youngest interested.

ETA: Just to add more info.

DD and I love the straightforwardness of Saxon. When someone says it is soul-killing and boring, DD and I think clean and neat and no-nonsense!

Yup, that's it exactly it! She appreciates that it doesn't try to be cutesy or funny, just keeps it simple. She also appreciates that the humor is subtle, like they'll use two opposite big words to describe the ratios in a problem, or they'll throw in literary references (her favorite problem said something like, "Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy went out one day. . . "); she gets a kick out of when she recognizes the reference. But overt silliness? No, thanks. And DS1 loves the little pictures and diagrams in Singapore, but DD wouldn't like those at all.

As I'm reading through some of these, I'm realizing that I have several of my own "flops" to add to this list:

- SOTW: Oddly, my children didn't enjoy this one. :ohmy:

- FLL: Oh. My. Word. SO slow...

- TOG: It was just way too much. I love the concept. The idea is amazing and I wanted to love this, but even with a hard copy, I was way overwhelmed by it all. :(

- LOF: I actually love LOF and so does DD (he makes her laugh), but there isn't enough practice and she just doesn't retain a lot of the lessons.

- Singapore math: This one turned my "math okay" ODS into a math confused child quickly.

- IEW PAL: I really wanted to like this one too, but YDS and I struggled with it for awhile before giving up on it.

- 100 EZ Lessons: So boring

- LLATL: This one actually reduced my school loving MDS to tears more than once.

- KISS Grammar: It starts out great but quickly gets too complicated for the younger kids (though I may try it again with MDS now that he is middle school age...maybe)

I think that's it for now...can't think of any others ATM. 

I think we are pretty easy to please.  I do some research and most of what I pick out has been fine.  Except science.  Ack!

BFSU was a total flop.  We tried it TWICE because it seemed like such a great idea.  But I just could never get it together and so it got skipped again and again until we weren't doing it at all.

So then we tried Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage.  We did muddle through it and dd thought it was OK, but it was almost as bad for me as BFSU.  I even bought the lab kit that was supposed to have everything we needed.  Uh no.  It did not.  We needed slugs in the middle of the winter  We needed ferns and flowers in the middle of the winter.  We were supposed to decompose fruit outside in the middle of the winter.  See a theme here?  I know people read ahead and rearrange the schedule to accommodate weather.  First, I am just not that organized....and I am pretty organized.  Second, it is WINTER here for most of the school year so even if I had rearranged, it would have been very hard to do those labs.

So we are now using a curriculum I really do not like and is too expensive but at least we can do ALL of the labs with an ALL-INCLUSIVE lab kit.   High school is going to be a wild ride, I can tell already.

• Like 2

TOPS Science

Rod and Staff English (just way too much repetition for us/moved too slowly)

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ...

Horizons Math (my son cried and cried with this math program)

anything from Abeka (again more crying)

Oh my...don't get me started.  Too late...

MCT Grammar Island (the winner for the one and only program that made my kid cry real tears)

Logic of English (takes something that shouldn't be so hard and makes it rocket science...while charging a fortune too)

Learning Language Arts Through Literature

Queens (anything...when will I ever learn??)

First Language Lessons

Writing with Ease

Simply Grammar

Primary Language Lessons / Intermediate Language Lessons

Christian Light (people assured me you could make this secular...umm..no.  How stupid of me to believe it)

Phonetic Zoo 

How to Teach Spelling (I'm still stupid because I still can't figure it out despite multiple tries)

Apples & Pears

Life of Fred (but we'll still read them...cuz I have them  :001_rolleyes: )

Math Mammoth

Miquon

Making Math Meaningful

Right Start

History Odyssey

Nancy Larson Science

Elemental Science

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. There was crying in this house over that book, and it wasn't just mine. Everyone raves about it, but I despised it.

I didn't think everyone raves about it.  I rarely see anything good said about it.  But, it actually worked well for one of my kids.  Go figure.   :001_smile:

Math Mammoth - bought the entire series as a download, so a very expensive mistake! Concepts were either overtaught or undertaught, like someone unsure of math slapped a bunch of problems with occasional instruction together.

I have mentioned it before, but Classical Writing. The *worst* method of teaching writing that I have ever come across. It took something relatively simple and made it convoluted, difficult, and boring.

Math Mammoth - bought the entire series as a download, so a very expensive mistake!

:iagree:

I was just thinking about this purchase the other day.  And since it's a download, I can't even resell it to recoup some of the cost!   :glare:

Actually, I'll just go ahead and add ALL DOWNLOADS to this list, LOL.  I know people are moving towards digital, but dang!...I can't deal with downloads.  Half the time I forget I purchased them, the other half of the time I hate them but can't resell.  

• Like 8

Wow, there are some long lists here!  Off the top of my head:

AAS - it's a good program, and I wish it had worked for us, but it turned out to just have too many bits and pieces to it - not a good fit for me, and once dd started moaning about it, I stopped getting it out at all.

GWG - complete waste of time.  Zero retention.

WWE3 for 3rd (or even 4th) grade - not here!  Way too big of a jump between WWE2 and WWE3 for us.  Since I found some other stuff to help bridge the gap, I've come to like the others a lot and I'm not sure I'll even be going back to WWE3 and 4 (although I own both...gotta stop buying ahead!)

Sonlight. In the lower cores, I basically threw out the IG and used it as a booklist, which made it a pretty expensive box of books. IN the upper cores, DD had gotten too far ahead of herself content wise, so all the books that were historical fiction with romantic elements just bored her to tears.

Latin For CHildren and Spanish for Children. DD loved it, loved the chants, did the workbook pages, but retained nothing.

EPGY. I know a lot of people like it, but it just was too tedious and boring.

Math Mammoth - bought the entire series as a download, so a very expensive mistake! Concepts were either overtaught or undertaught, like someone unsure of math slapped a bunch of problems with occasional instruction together.

I have mentioned it before, but Classical Writing. The *worst* method of teaching writing that I have ever come across. It took something relatively simple and made it convoluted, difficult, and boring.

I thought you liked CW and we're reading through Homer to wrap your mind around how to teach it. What happened? Or am I getting you confused with someone else? I need to go look up last year's posts about CW.

I thought you liked CW and we're reading through Homer to wrap your mind around how to teach it. What happened? Or am I getting you confused with someone else? I need to go look up last year's posts about CW.

Definitely not me! I tried it with my oldest in 3rd (or 4th?) grade, and would not touch it with a ten-foot pole. CAP's Writing & Rhetoric is immeasurably better at teaching the progym.

Definitely not me! I tried it with my oldest in 3rd (or 4th?) grade, and would not touch it with a ten-foot pole. CAP's Writing & Rhetoric is immeasurably better at teaching the progym.

I looked it up and it was critterfixer. Sorry about that. :)

• Like 1

Real Science Odyssey 

Logic of English.  I do still have the teachers manual as a reference, but we do better with a simpler approach like RLTL.  However, we use the LOE app every week and occasionally play some LOE games.  

In general, anything that teaches LA from a philosophy different from the one I spent years developing as an English teacher. Never again am I buying for my own kids what I'd never use to teach someone else's, no matter how many other moms rave about it.

Specifically, AAS and FLL were too slow. MP lit guides, too tedious? Just not my style.

WWE. Level 1 was holding my DD back. I've started letting her physically write her own narrations.

Off the top of my head: 

100 easy Lessons to teach your child to read

FLL 1 & 2 

Rod & Staff English - to be fair, I bought it and looked at it and ended up selling immediately because I knew it wouldn't work. 

Rod & Staff Spelling - I used the 3rd grade book but didn't see any better result with it than anything else. 

Story of the World

WWS

LoF- we only did Fractions when it first came out and my child begged me to drop it. This child has never made the request. Just did not like the story.

Real Science for Kids

All the different Trail Guides

We attempted to use MM, just could not make it happen

Latin for Children