Menu

WTM Academy's Expository Writing II

It might be helpful to ask TWTMA directly. Or look at the books used. If you are considering level 2, I am assuming you are familiar with WWS1. I know the WWS books don't have any grammar instruction. Does the class call for a grammar text, or is it just WWS2?  That might give you your answer.

Thanks! The description on the course information page does not indicate any grammar, but then when I just looked at last year's sample syllabus, the teacher includes Strunk and White, so I guess that means there is a little bit of grammar/usage/style included. 

I was hoping to hear from someone whose student is in the class now...and whether or not they felt it necessary to supplement with a grammar program. I would definitely add literature to the mix...but not sure if more grammar would be needed. 

To be honest, it seems like a big time commitment for *just* writing without other elements of an English credit, so I'm at the "trying to talk myself into it" stage. :-)

Thanks! The description on the course information page does not indicate any grammar, but then when I just looked at last year's sample syllabus, the teacher includes Strunk and White, so I guess that means there is a little bit of grammar/usage/style included.

I was hoping to hear from someone whose student is in the class now...and whether or not they felt it necessary to supplement with a grammar program. I would definitely add literature to the mix...but not sure if more grammar would be needed.

To be honest, it seems like a big time commitment for *just* writing without other elements of an English credit, so I'm at the "trying to talk myself into it" stage. :-)

I'm at that stage with regard to Expository Writing 1. On the other hand, the complaint I've heard about comprehensive language arts courses, such as Landry Academy's English I-IV which cover lit, vocabulary, grammar, and writing, is that they don't offer *enough* writing instruction.

I'm really on the fence about it. It is a lot of time (and money) to invest in one aspect of one subject, among the 6-7 subjects I need to teach my daughter this year.

• Like 2

On the other hand, the complaint I've heard about comprehensive language arts courses, such as Landry Academy's English I-IV which cover lit, vocabulary, grammar, and writing, is that they don't offer *enough* writing instruction.

This is SO true. I think I've voiced this complaint myself. 

Well, I have a few more weeks to think about it before the pre-registration discount ends...

Fwiw, I have a ds in Exp Writing 1 right now and I know they do some grammar/mechanics instruction. They have had at least one quiz on grammar. That being said, I also have him doing R&S grammar because I wanted a solid, get 'er done grammar program. The class really is a writing class, and I think the amount of grammar is just to back up the writing. I don't think it is intended as an all-in-one type of class. The writing instruction, though, is excellent. Very, very pleased👠I would assume Exp 2 would follow the same path.

• Like 5

I have a son in Expository Writing 1, and as ProfessorMom said, there is some Grammar. I supplement with Analytical Grammar. I like keeping my program seperate. He has a Language Arts program that supposedly does everything, but I only use it for the Lit. I cross all the writing out as it is just not as strong as WWS.

As for the expense. When you look at other classes. The price is for the full year, and they meet twice a week. When you factor that in, I found the price to be competitive. 

If you are looking at bang for your buck, I would go with this. I am not affiliated, just a happy mom. We tried WWS1 twice and just could not get through it. My son is a struggling writer, and writing is now his favorite subject. His papers are all read, graded, with really constructive notes. We have Kayla Meyers, and she has really gotten to "know" her students over the year. She praises them when they remember and use notes she gave them in the past, and gently reminds when they haven't. Outsourcing writing has freed up so much of my time, it was the most time consuming subject for me.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...