Menu

Shakespeare Introduction for 8 and 7 year old

Hi There,

I am trying to plan out my history and literature for next year.    I would like to give the kids an introduction to Shakespeare.   Can anyone recommend a book appropriate for an 8 and 7 year old?  

The two that I am mainly looking at are  Shakespeare Stories by Leon Garfield --or-- the "Young Reader's Shakespeare by Adam McKeown.  

My children are not especially sensitive children.   So I am not worried about reading them a tragedy or anything.  But I would like to find a book that captures the beauty and spirit of the plays as much as possible.   I want the reading to be enjoyable. 

Thanks!

Marcia Williams has Tales From Shakespeare and Bravo Mr William Shakespeare. My oldest adored those and read and reread them multiple times. They are cartoon versions with commentaries by the cartoon figures in the margin all around. Not good for kids who don't like a lot of things on one page though!

• Like 1

I like the Garfield books, but I don't think they're the best for those ages. For picture books our absolute favorites are the Bruce Coville books. Gorgeous illustrations. For reading aloud (or kids a bit older to read) we like Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare.

• Like 3

Wow!  Those Bruce Coville books look absolutely GORGEOUS.   Thanks for recommending them. 

I like the Garfield books, but I don't think they're the best for those ages. For picture books our absolute favorites are the Bruce Coville books. Gorgeous illustrations. For reading aloud (or kids a bit older to read) we like Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare.

What age is the Garfield book best for do you think?

Is Lamb's appropriate for a 7th grader to read independently? (she hasn't had much Shakespeare exposure yet)

Absolutely Coville!!!!

Nesbit and Lamb's books are great, but I have found they are over the level of comprehension of my 7 year old.  And why push this?  So, we read (and love) the Coville books and also listen to Jim Weiss' readings.  A nice, gentle introduction!

I think the best introduction to Shakespeare is going and seeing it performed live. I especially like Shakespeare in the Park programs for grammar age children, but I find that high school plays can be good, too, for this age range. We also do some memorization using Teach Your Children Shakespeare and watch movies based on Shakespeare's plays, but that's just icing. Go see as many of his plays as possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're near Boston's North Shore, I've got a friend from college who runs a Shakespeare program for kids, and the performances are generally public. She also does a Shakespeare summer camp on Winter Island. If you're interested in catching one of their performances check them out at http://www.rebelshakespeare.org(the site has not been updated for 2015 yet, but keep watch) - nothing fires a kid up for Shakespeare better than watching other kids who are fired up about Shakespeare.

We've used lamb and Nesbit - Ioriginally bought the nesbit book but found the Lamb at the Salvation Army shop.  It is nice to have both because sometimes one version seems to work better than the other, or occasionally we will use both.

All that being said, I have come to the conclusion that actually watching the plays is the way to go, especially if you can actually attend one.  We go every summer to see some in the park, and there is just something completely magical about  that setting that draws in children in a way reading a text version just can't. 

• Like 1