Menu

Easing ear pain beyond ibuprofen

blondeviolin

My littlest has a double ear infection. It's killing him apparently. He just started antibiotics. But I am dying because I have hardly slept, can't get him off me, and I have four other kids to deal with while my husband is otherwise unavailable. Besides keeping up with his ibuprofen and Tylenol, what else can I do for him?

If the ear drum has not perforated, then warmed olive oil dropped into the ear and then plugged with cotton wool can be soothing.  Just make sure the oil isn't too hot.

Can you talk to your doctor about alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen/paracetemol?  One time this was recommended to me when one drug was not working on its own.  Essentially, we used each one every four hours, but it meant that he was getting a dose every two hours.  Talk to your doctor/nurse first though.

We are alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen. Tonight it's not doing that great of a job even keeping the fever down so I'm sure there's some kind of breakthrough pain too.

At this point in also entertaining the idea that something else is wrong. He will only sleep in 5-15 minute snatches before he's back to fussing. He is also having difficulty swallowing.

Oh, how I wish we had a good pediatrician! :glare:

Alternating heat and cold. We did it when DD was little with an ice pack wrapped in a damp rag for five minutes, then holding a lamp (one with an incandescent bulb for the heat) close to the rest for five minutes. Alternate a couple of times. It can help esse the pressure.

Lots of fluids plus a decongestant can also help if the child is old enough.

• Like 1

Numbing drops work really well, the olive oil usually works great too. It sounds weird but I often recommend it to people when they call in and they will dubiously try it and then the next day say it worked. Heating pads usually work pretty well also. 

Warm compress helps immensely. Hyland's ear drops work well too. I've used garlic oil in a cotton square plugging up the ear too. We had lots of ear pain issues prior to surgery here so I understand. Hope he feels better soon. :) 

• Like 1