Menu

Writing intensive for gr.4?

mohini

So as we begin to finish up some curricula this spring, I'd like to focus on writing with my 4th grdr. I'm thinking that we can do a kind of summer writing intensive. Can anybody recommend a writing program/ book/ idea that we could use? I think it would be best to focus on narrative but would be open to other ideas. My goal is to have him writing multi-paragraph stories/ opinion pieces with ease. At the moment he has a lot of difficulty coming up with topics, writing clear topic sentences for every paragraph and knowing where and why to transition into a new paragraph. His sentences are fairly strong, spelling is good and reading is excellent. Any suggestions?

Would it be too much to tackle CAP Narrative in 3-4 months? Would it be beneficial? 

I was going to suggest CAP Fable and/or Narrative I, and see that you're already considering it. I think it's do-able in 3-4 months. Each book is only 10 lessons, and we do 1 per week during the school year. One book would be entirely manageable for a summer session; you could even push to do two. I'm impressed with this program, and it leads into the longer pieces that you're looking for.

I used Paragraph Writing Made Easy  and was pleased with its clear instruction on how to outline, structure, and write different kinds of paragraphs. It just focuses on paragraphs; not on linking paragraphs together to form longer pieces. It would be do-able in an intense session.

Another resource to look into would be Treasured Conversations.

• Like 3

Thanks. I'll check out TC and Paragraph Writing Made Easy. I really like the looks of CAP but my fear is that it isn't open ended enough - it's good to know I can make it through a level in a couple of months though. Does TC leave more room for creative writing than CAP?

Not the OP, but I wanted to thank Five More MInutes for the suggestion of Paragraph Writing Made easy.  I've been using VIE with my 4th grader and have been pleased with his writing progress, but he could definitely use some focused work on paragraphing.  I downloaded PWME from Scholastic and we started a few days ago -- I think it's going to be exactly what he needs.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Not the OP, but I wanted to thank Five More MInutes for the suggestion of Paragraph Writing Made easy. I've been using VIE with my 4th grader and have been pleased with his writing progress, but he could definitely use some focused work on paragraphing. I downloaded PWME from Scholastic and we started a few days ago -- I think it's going to be exactly what he needs. Thanks!

Hey, that's great! I'm pretty sure I owe that recommendation to boardie Crimson Wife. Glad to have been able to share!

• Like 2