Menu

s/o my previous post regarding printers... Is there a decent COLOR laser printer under $200??

ereks mom

I considered a laser printer awhile back, but the cost was prohibitive, particularly for a color printer.  I understand that prices have come down in the last 5 years or so since I considered laser printers.  Can anyone recommend a decent quality color laser printer with scanner, duplexing, and AirPrint?  Am I just dreaming when I say I want one under $200??? 

This is the one we have, which is currently $199.99 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-3170CDW-Digital-Wireless-Networking/dp/B00BQU141C

We also just switched to using the "compatible" toner instead of the Brother brand toner, and it's working fine for us.

Thank you, Amanda!  Do you use it a lot?   I would probably be printing 40 or more b/w copies per week, and about the same number of color copies.  That sounds like a lot to me, but maybe not...  :)How often do you have to replace the toner cartridges? Does it have a toner-saver setting? And can it print from an iPad?

There is a toner save mode (which I just discovered because you asked about it!  :laugh: ).  I don't use it as much as you would.  I probably do 20-30 b/w pages per week, and occasionally something in color, plus a Math Mammoth book whenever DD is ready for a new one.  I got it Christmas 2013, and I'm trying to remember whether I've replaced the color cartridges twice or just once.  I know I've done the black more, three times I think (and that's the one that I just switched to off-brand).

Having it makes me very happy. :)

• Like 1

This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EV2ZJMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not the least expensive, but it had the best reviews on the whole when I looked at the options.

I hope you enjoy your new printer! :D  (For the record, I am not affiliated with Brother or Amazon or anything like that, lol!)

• Like 1

Oh, a tip on Brother toner cartridges. They say they are empty long before they actually are. Google toner reset Brother <model here>. With mine, I got several months of use after the cartridge said it was dying. Don't replace the cartridge until the pages start printing with missing parts or its too faded to read. You will save a huge amount of money on toner.

• Like 3

You might want to look at inkjet also; they've come a long way. We have the HP Officejet Pro 8610, and the quality is high enough for dh to print full color line cards (like product cards) to hand out to customers. 

It's about $130-$150. 

We have that same Brother color laser and I like it. Be aware that this printer takes 3 separate color cartridges and one black - which is good because if one color runs out you can just replace that one. Color cartridges, even the non-brother compatibles ones, will be pricey if you replace the whole set. I would advise getting a set when you order though, because the ones that come with it are not the high yield ones and don't last long. We still have our first black & white brother laser and we use it for all out b&w printing, not the color printer. We haven't had a minute's trouble with either one, though, and they get used a lot - between the kids and Hubbs and I both in school :) Note: this color printer does connect to your network wirelessly and it also has duplex printing which I LOVE. 

• Like 1

You might want to look at inkjet also; they've come a long way. We have the HP Officejet Pro 8610, and the quality is high enough for dh to print full color line cards (like product cards) to hand out to customers. 

It's about $130-$150. 

The whole point of a laser is lower printing costs over the life of the machine. Inkjets cannot compare with a laser in that arena, and lasers are built for high-volume printing. I've ruined print heads on inkjets before printing out PDFs in the fall. It's not fun.

I run a brother now, but it's a $600 beast my husband picked out. It's the size of a dorm fridge but I've never had a moment's trouble out of it. I can't seem to keep enough paper in the house for it, though. LOL  I had 2 Brother lasers before this one. One was a monochrome and the ADF died on it. Replacing that part was more expensive than buying another printer, so that's what we did. Money got better and I really wanted duplex print and scan and color, so I came home to the beast on my desk. The other Brother is at my mom's house happily churning out funny emails in retirement.

• Like 2

I looked into color lasers in the fall while researching a new printer, and while I could find a decent printer, I could not find an affordable printer/copier/scanner/fax. And then some toner cartridges and drum get expensive for replacement. The one above looks to be a printer, but not an all in one. I could be wrong though.

I ended up with the inkjet, which I wasn't looking for because of ink cartidges, but the super high yield ones make all the difference. I don't know why all machines won't take them.

Do you just own an iPad or do you own a Mac as well? If you own a Mac in addition to the iPad, then Printopia turns any printer into an AirPrint printer. My mom has an ancient Brother that she can AirPrint to via Printopia.

I own a different Brother printer and have nothing bu trouble with non-Brother toner cartridges. YMMV, but go in expecting they won't work. That way if they do, it's a nice surprise and you've already factored in the cost of the Brother toner into your purchasing decision.

• Like 1

I looked into color lasers in the fall while researching a new printer, and while I could find a decent printer, I could not find an affordable printer/copier/scanner/fax. And then some toner cartridges and drum get expensive for replacement. The one above looks to be a printer, but not an all in one. I could be wrong though.

I ended up with the inkjet, which I wasn't looking for because of ink cartidges, but the super high yield ones make all the difference. I don't know why all machines won't take them.

Don't panic about drums. My first Brother laser was about 6 years old when the ADF died, and I had never had to replace the drum. If you research printing costs, look for cost per page. Lasers win that fight virtually every time, especially when you use the super high yield toner. Those cute little inkjet cartridges make you feel good when you "only" shell out $50-60 for them, but they cost more long term. I've had the beast since 2013 and only a couple of months ago did the starter black toner finally die. (The Brother toner tricks are amazing. It is criminal how much toner is left after they claim to be empty and stop printing the first and second time.) We have printed thousands upon thousands of pages on that starter cartridge. We use a lot of PDF curriculum and print what we need. I still haven't had to replace any of the color cartridges, but their replacements are sitting in the drawer waiting because I got a great deal on the set. Yeah, that's the other beauty of toner. You can buy it on sale and keep it around. It won't dry up like inkjet cartridges. Just be sure to shake the cartridge good before installing it.

• Like 2

If you're still looking, there is a Brother laser printer, "Brother MFC9130CW Wireless All-In-One Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax", that is normally about $300 for $260:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C6MNP52/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_0062_71b1dbd0?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=0D4WVM1RF8F5MJSY4Y0A&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=2055170062

• Like 1

Oh, a tip on Brother toner cartridges. They say they are empty long before they actually are. Google toner reset Brother <model here>. With mine, I got several months of use after the cartridge said it was dying. Don't replace the cartridge until the pages start printing with missing parts or its too faded to read. You will save a huge amount of money on toner.

This is what I do at work. The wanring you are running out of toner is to tell you to go order some. (This is the same on our color HP upstairs) Then wait until it affects print quality.

• Like 1

If you're still looking, there is a Brother laser printer, "Brother MFC9130CW Wireless All-In-One Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax", that is normally about $300 for $260:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C6MNP52/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_0062_71b1dbd0?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=0D4WVM1RF8F5MJSY4Y0A&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=2055170062

I looked, but it's not on sale now.  :(  It says $299.99.