Menu

Study Guide for Campbell's Biology?

I know we are going to use Campbells Biology when Ds self studies AP Bio. Pearson also sells a Study Guide that goes along with Campbell's Biology textbook. Such Study Guides can be so touch and go as useful or just a total waste of twenty bucks. Anyone with experience? Is it useful?

ETA: One of the ways our family is able to homeschool is for me to search out used curriculum in advance that I know we are going to use. When I catch it cheap, I buy it. I am not considering using this text with my 5th/6th grader. I am looking ahead to 8th/9th grade.

Ds uses Biology in Focus AP Edition (Campbell) for his class through our local high school. I follow along (most of the time) with the regular 10th edition text. The both came out in 2014, but the "Focus" book is about 300 pages shorter. Study guides/reading guides are easily accessible on the Internet. Just search the name of the chapter with "study guide" following it. Sometimes the guides will have different chapter numbers depending on the edition. I've even found that for AP, study guides from other AP books will usually work too.

I figured something along those lines. Our library keeps various AP Biology study guides, which seemed like the sort of targeted practice needed for the test and the Internet is such a wealth of knowledge for most everything else. Good to know! Thank You. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook something awesome :)

My ds is using Student Study Guide for Biology (ISBN-13: 978-0321501561) for his self study of AP Biology along with the Campbell book. It seems to be very comprehensive with good review questions for each chapter. Best wishes for your daughter and her biology journey.

The Pearson AP guide looks good -- we have it, but don't use it that frequently.  However, we do use the associated "Study Guide" regularly.  It provides tons of worksheets, etc for DS to follow.  Also, the MIT-OCW videos follow the content very closely right up to the end, when it veers off a bit at genetics.  For the second half of bio, MIT-OCW is a no-show.

If we were prepping for AP, we'd be all over that Pearson AP guide.

There is also an "art" book that gives blanks of each of the diagrams -- useful for detailed checks.  We don't use that, though -- once again, because we aren't prepping for AP just yet.