Menu

Live in/near Fayetteville, AR? Need work?

milovany

The university there is hiring a TypeWell transcriber trainee -- a rare opportunity if it works for anyone. Sometimes schools want experienced transcribers, but this school is willing to put someone through the training first before they begin working for the school. According to information in their job listing, you'd be required to work for them on campus for 2 semesters -- then you could keep working for them or attempt to go remote, working from home for schools all over the country (there are service provider companies out there that will contract with you and get you work if they have openings). This is my part time job and it's a great field to get into. Depending on situation, it can be a pretty good fit for homeschooling parents. Read about TypeWell here and here, and about the job in Fayetteville here.

--------

ETA (4/19/15) - This post was previously about a job opp. in West Virginia so comments 1-10 below are in regard to that position. I've updated today with information about Fayetteville, Arkansas.

It is a great job!  I love it.  I just finished a math class for Gallaudet University.  :)

Do you want to PM me the links to some colleges/universities near you?  And maybe large school districts?  I can take a look at their Disabilities support pages and see if they might offer this service. 

I post here whenever I see a listing, so keep your eye out!  :)

Another option is to PM me links to universities/colleges/large school districts near you and I can take a look at their websites to see if any information is posted there. It's easier for me if people find the links and send them to me than me having to search for them for everyone.  Thanks!

• Like 3

It is a great job! I love it. I just finished a math class for Gallaudet University. :)

Do you want to PM me the links to some colleges/universities near you? And maybe large school districts? I can take a look at their Disabilities support pages and see if they might offer this service.

Would you consider this a stressful or high pressure service? The idea of "real time" transcription sounds a little intimidating.

Would you consider this a stressful or high pressure service? The idea of "real time" transcription sounds a little intimidating.

Sure, but you get used to it!  The training is very thorough so once you get over the nervousness at the beginning, you realize that you're doing a good job and you move forward. At least that's been my experience.  If you're properly prepared/trained, you have learned to be thorough while keeping up. If you're IN class (onsite), you can ask the professor for clarifications, which is nice.  You don't have that option working from a remote location, but that is taken into consideration as well. (You can try asking the student for clarifications if there's time and if they want to be involved that way.)

As for the tech side of things, especially when it comes to remote work, the companies I contract with are super helpful with getting set up and handling any tech issues that come up.  You learn a lot through experience and working through different issues, so can eventually handle a lot on your own as well. 

Side story:  The first time I took over from the gal with whom I was mentoring (when I was almost done training), in other words the first time I went solo and tried to type on my own for an actual student in an actual class, I lasted all of about 10 seconds!!!  I freaked and handed the computer back.  LOL.  It didn't take long to get over the panic, and now I'm considered a pretty good transcriber. 

Love answering questions when people have them! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...