Menu

possible public high school re-enrollment?? pass/fail

Would it be detrimental to college admissions chances for a home-school student to be re-enrolled in public school and take pass/fail grades for all his home-schooling classes for sophomore year with the exception of two classes (ps and college)?

The Situation:  My son has been home-schooling for the past year. It has been a good experience and things have gone well. There are big changes in Ohio law regarding post secondary enrollment - a new program called College Credit Plus. The program is terrific and sounds like it will be a great benefit to many students, providing up to 30 credit hours per year funding at any public college where students qualify for enrollment. The only downside is that there are limited funds for home-school students, from my understanding- very limited. Due to how the funds are allocated it is unlikely that ds would receive funding. We were planning on having him utilize the previous post secondary program where he probably would have received some funding. Public school students will receive all the funding they request with the new College Credit Plus. So, we have considered re-enrollment in public school. The public school has always been very helpful and I understand that they can only give pass/fail. I should say he has been taking a class at public school this year and is planning on taking two classes there next year.Also took a college class this year self pay.

Ds is a very academically oriented student with PSAT scores that might put him in the running for National Merit recognition - college is his goal. The reason he is home-schooling this year is the ability to move at a faster pace than ps classes with material he found challenging. I just want to do the right thing, but not sure how colleges view a whole year of pass/fail?

It sounds like the PS would give him credit towards his graduation requirements for his homeschool classes, but the grades would not be factored into his GPA.  Is that right?  If so, when he applies for college, he would have a homeschool transcript and GPA and a PS transcript and GPA, and I don't think that having the homeschooled classes show up as pass/fail would adversely affect anything.  I would expect colleges to treat him as any other kid with two or more high schools on an application.

FWIW, my daughter's high school did this for classes she took in middle school but that they eventually accepted towards fulfilling two graduation requirements.  I thought it was fair and wouldn't have expected them to give her credit for them in her GPA.  

• Like 1

For your college applications, you will be allowed to submit transcripts from all high schools attended, including your homeschool. So, even though your classes transferred to the public school on a credit/no-credit basis, you will be able to submit a document to the colleges with the "real" grades and course descriptions.

Hi, OHCountry.

I live in Ohio and have had both my boys enroll in the public high school after homeschooling (one at 10th grade & the other at 12th grade), so that they could earn college credit through PSEO.  Our high school guidance counselor added all our homeschool classes and grades as they were.  On the school transcript, the classes and grades are marked as having been given through the homeschool.  The college classes are listed as having been earned at that institution.  If they would have taken classes at the public high school, the classes and grades would have been listed as having been done there.  I would be glad to send you a copy of one of the transcripts if that would be helpful to you; send me a PM if you are interested.  I also wanted to ask if you had been told directly by the guidance counselor at your local high school that his homeschool classes would be listed pass/fail or if you had been told that by someone else.

It sounds like the PS would give him credit towards his graduation requirements for his homeschool classes, but the grades would not be factored into his GPA.  Is that right?  If so, when he applies for college, he would have a homeschool transcript and GPA and a PS transcript and GPA, and I don't think that having the homeschooled classes show up as pass/fail would adversely affect anything.  I would expect colleges to treat him as any other kid with two or more high schools on an application.

FWIW, my daughter's high school did this for classes she took in middle school but that they eventually accepted towards fulfilling two graduation requirements.  I thought it was fair and wouldn't have expected them to give her credit for them in her GPA.  

Yes, that is correct - he would get credit, but p/f listed as grades with no effect on GPA. I had not thought about being able to send in a homeschool transcript as well as the public school transcript. I just assumed that because he would get credit on the public school transcript, that it would be the only one accepted.

Hi, OHCountry.

I live in Ohio and have had both my boys enroll in the public high school after homeschooling (one at 10th grade & the other at 12th grade), so that they could earn college credit through PSEO.  Our high school guidance counselor added all our homeschool classes and grades as they were.  On the school transcript, the classes and grades are marked as having been given through the homeschool.  The college classes are listed as having been earned at that institution.  If they would have taken classes at the public high school, the classes and grades would have been listed as having been done there.  I would be glad to send you a copy of one of the transcripts if that would be helpful to you; send me a PM if you are interested.  I also wanted to ask if you had been told directly by the guidance counselor at your local high school that his homeschool classes would be listed pass/fail or if you had been told that by someone else.

I was told about the pass/fail for homeschool classes by someone higher up in school management than the GC.