Menu

Online Spanish Class

I am looking for recommendations for an Online Spanish class for my high school boys.  They will have completed BJU Spanish I by the end of this school year, but they are in need of more live interaction.  

Thank you,

Dixie

I haven't enrolled in BYU Independent yet, but after just talking with someone there specifically about their teacher-led courses, I think I will enroll DD in Arabic. She wants to learn it but TPS schedule conflicts with Lukeion's. You can have as many one-one mentoring with a TA as the schedule allows. I may have to enroll in their Spanish course as well, but I need to try out one course first. For teacher-led courses, you have one year to complete.

https://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm?school=hs#university=false|high-school=on|middle-school=on|continuing-education=false|ig=on|online=false|paper=false

My ds is using this: https://www.livelingua.com/ for Spanish lessons via Skype. We have been very pleased!!

Does livelingua.com use a particular book? How is the hour divided? Is the lesson done completely in Spanish? I see that for French the company has a few books with accompanying audio.

We have been using languageconvo.com and Homeschool Spanish Academy.

• Like 1

Curious what you thought of homeschool Spanish Academy. Why aren't you continuing with it?

I probably will continue in the summer but it depends on the free trial with livelingua.com. HSA was great last summer, but during the fall when I purchased an unlimited amount again, it turned out to be only 5 hours per week. Now, if you look at their FAQ, it still says unlimited. I'll have to contact them to see what unlimited means to them this year.

A student cannot always get the same person, so it seemed like DD was always repeating the same thing about herself. And, one tutor just showed a video the entire time - a video without any sound. I thought she was going to have DD narrate what happened. Nope.

So I got fed up and took a break from them. But we are still with Sr. Gamache.

• Like 1

I haven't enrolled in BYU Independent yet, but after just talking with someone there specifically about their teacher-led courses, I think I will enroll DD in Arabic. She wants to learn it but TPS schedule conflicts with Lukeion's. You can have as many one-one mentoring with a TA as the schedule allows. I may have to enroll in their Spanish course as well, but I need to try out one course first. For teacher-led courses, you have one year to complete.

https://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm?school=hs#university=false|high-school=on|middle-school=on|continuing-education=false|ig=on|online=false|paper=false

My son did a teacher-led Spanish class last year through BYU. He's doing their full high school program so a foreign language was required, but if it hadn't been, I would not have had him take Spanish through BYU. He has a class with a Spanish tutor three times a week and that has been far more effective than BYU's classes (he's doing his fourth semester now with the regular online class since he didn't get much more out of the teacher-led class). I like BYU's classes overall but I can't recommend their foreign language classes.

• Like 1

My son did a teacher-led Spanish class last year through BYU. He's doing their full high school program so a foreign language was required, but if it hadn't been, I would not have had him take Spanish through BYU. He has a class with a Spanish tutor three times a week and that has been far more effective than BYU's classes (he's doing his fourth semester now with the regular online class since he didn't get much more out of the teacher-led class). I like BYU's classes overall but I can't recommend their foreign language classes.

Thank you for your feedback. That's disappointing about your experience. I thought that a student can schedule as many one to one mentoring. Did your son do this? Or were TAs not available?

Thank you for your feedback. That's disappointing about your experience. I thought that a student can schedule as many one to one mentoring. Did your son do this? Or were TAs not available?

He didn't do it very often (he's not exactly motivated about Spanish and could get the assignments done without help- he used the appointments to get the assignments checked off).  I think a motivated student could probably get more out of it, beyond what's required, by having more meetings with a TA.  If there really are plenty of appointments available (at least 3-4 a week with assigned preparation before) then I think BYU could be an amazing deal for a class at under $250/class with lots of teacher interaction.

I think it would have been a lot more effective if the class had required more time speaking with the TA's.  

• Like 1

He didn't do it very often (he's not exactly motivated about Spanish and could get the assignments done without help- he used the appointments to get the assignments checked off). I think a motivated student could probably get more out of it, beyond what's required, by having more meetings with a TA. If there really are plenty of appointments available (at least 3-4 a week with assigned preparation before) then I think BYU could be an amazing deal for a class at under $250/class with lots of teacher interaction.

I think it would have been a lot more effective if the class had required more time speaking with the TA's.

For that price, yes, BYU is a great deal if TAs are available to converse a few times per week. I'm willing to take a chance with Arabic, but not with Spanish since DD needs to take AP Spanish so I need to make sure she continues to progress.

• Like 1

LiveLingua has been great!!  My son has been assigned to one teacher and she has been wonderful.  She does as much of the class as possible in Spanish.  My son still requires some things explained in English.  She has been very accommodating as far as scheduling.  He has 2 standing classes per week but we have had to postpone on occasion and she has been great!!  Also, since he has the same teacher over and over she has come to have a very clear picture of where he struggles.  The teacher has been providing the materials in pdf format so I am not sure what book they come out of.  She sends the homework after class which he does and presents at the beginning of the next class.  They go over it together and then move on to the next lesson.  Some lessons include watching a short video and then she asks him comprehension questions.  I think that they would be very flexible about using a particular text if so requested.

• Like 1

LiveLingua has been great!! My son has been assigned to one teacher and she has been wonderful. She does as much of the class as possible in Spanish. My son still requires some things explained in English. She has been very accommodating as far as scheduling. He has 2 standing classes per week but we have had to postpone on occasion and she has been great!! Also, since he has the same teacher over and over she has come to have a very clear picture of where he struggles. The teacher has been providing the materials in pdf format so I am not sure what book they come out of. She sends the homework after class which he does and presents at the beginning of the next class. They go over it together and then move on to the next lesson. Some lessons include watching a short video and then she asks him comprehension questions. I think that they would be very flexible about using a particular text if so requested.

Thank you for such a detailed description. We are having a free class this week with a teacher who works with kids. DD now is hoping for a Fench tutor, too.