Menu

The American Odyssey study guide--has anyone made one?

I am considering this book for 8th grade (we already own it, and he's used all the HO books and liked them). Has anyone created a syllabus  or study guide to go along with this book? I can create something myself, but i'd rather not recreate the wheel. Looking for something that allows completion in 36 weeks, and any additional reading/videos/supplements that might be found online or elsewhere.

Thanks!

We're using it over two years. I can't imagine squeezing it into one.

I usually do something like this:

Monday - read chapter

Tuesday - outline chapter or answer the key questions in paragraph form

Wednesday - corresponding crash course us history episode and portfolio

Thursday - American Experience video

Friday - American Experience video cont

Monday - DBQ essay

Tuesday - finish DBQ

Wednesday - Portfolio timeline/map/biography

Thursday - Stanford Reading like a historian

Friday - Stanford reading like a historian

If doing only one year, you'd need to cover approximately one chapter per week.

• Like 1

Assuming he's a fairly strong reader since you're asking about a high school level textbook - Have you seen the free FundaFunda schedule for the Johnson book and GC lecture set? My 9th grader is thoroughly enjoying it this year. Without the AP prep workbooks it only goes to 28 weeks, so you could slow it down if needed.

• Like 1

Assuming he's a fairly strong reader since you're asking about a high school level textbook - Have you seen the free FundaFunda schedule for the Johnson book and GC lecture set? My 9th grader is thoroughly enjoying it this year. Without the AP prep workbooks it only goes to 28 weeks, so you could slow it down if needed.

Thanks! Will think about this more. He would love a video component, so we are considering GC American History (the high school one, available only on DVD which I think is easier). 

Oh - you could totally read the book in a year. One chapter a week would do it. I just can't imagine missing out on all the other stuff. But you know what it's like... I want to fit in every interesting and useful thing that I can! I can't imagine taking out the written work or videos or the work with primary sources. But at some point, we have to stop and admit that not everything will fit. I'm sure you can make it work!

Totally going on a sidebar here- I know the woman who owns/is FundaFunda.  She teaches at our co-op.  My DD has taken classes from her and LOVES her and how she approaches history.  Can't tell you how cool it was to see it referenced here on the Hive.

• Like 3