Menu

samples for Memoria Press teacher guides?

There's a forum on MP's website, you might have luck asking there.

The teacher guide I have is not for the Greek myths course, but it is what seeker describes...It's not lesson plans, but actually the same book as the student's with the answers included.

The Christian Studies teacher guides also include lots of background information and discussion points for every lesson that are not in the student book.  One thing all the teacher books have and the student books don't is the reproducible tests and quizzes with answer keys.  I used to be a non-tester for content subjects, but now I appreciate tests, not only as a way to assess what they've learned, but as a good reason for more intense review every 5 weeks of what we've covered.  It helps us remember the key events and people ( or gods :).

Okay. MP confuses me and makes me feel like I am going in circles.

If I want something for the Greek myths that isn't just pacing or answers/tests, do they offer that? If so, what is it, and what is it called? Is that going to be the Intro to Classical Studies Teacher Guide? Is it worth getting the guide if I'm not doing the whole classical studies program?

Other than handwriting, I haven't done a lot of this stuff. I am worried about it being dry, and I have a kiddo that isn't going to want to do a lot of worksheets (or at least not unless I do the writing for him). I am trying to find out what is worth my time and effort, and I have a gift card to try out.

There is a Greek Myths teacher guide, student workbook and flashcards that go with the D'Aulaires book. The lesson plans are the pacing, and you can buy a set that covers the book in one year, or a set that spreads it out over two years. Here's a link, but I'm mobile, so hopefully it pasted correctly:

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/classical-studies/daulaires-greek-myths

Those are not the same as the Intro to Classical Studies.

Also, I found that MP guides and lessons are a bit more clear if you look at them in the context of the grade level cores. So, in third they do the Greek Myths book study, but they've recently made it so that there's an accelerated track (covers the whole book in 3rd) and a moderated track (covers that book in 3rd and 4th, also slows down their Latin program).

Looking at things piece by piece can be more confusing.

The Christian Studies teacher guides also include lots of background information and discussion points for every lesson that are not in the student book.  

I was hoping there was something like this for Greek myths. That is why I wondered if it was in the Intro to Classical Studies, since the D'Aulaires book is bundled with it.

Ok, I'm looking at my teacher book for GM.  Each lesson is pretty much the same as the sample.  There are the Facts to Know, Vocabulary, Comprehension Questions, and Activities.  The Activities section is the one that varies the most.  There are questions for discussing the illustrations in the D'Aulaire book.  Then there are are questions relating the stories to Bible stories or characters, and instructions for adding to the lists in the back of the book.  These lists are kind of cool if you like to see information neatly organized, there are lists of 50 sisters, mortals punished for hubris, heroes hidden in youth, sisters, unusual punishments in Hades, etc.  I like the lists because it helps us remember what we learn to organize it that way.

There are also activities that I would describe as "take it further."  Things like looking up narcissist in the dictionary and researching narcissus flowers, drawing family trees of the gods, writing a paragraph (or discussing) topics like "compare Poseidon's personality to the temperament of the seas."  These do have answers provided for you.

More and more I am seeing that while the MP guides would be dry if you used them as worksheets that you hand to your kids, they can also be interesting and lead to great discussion if you take the time to interact with your kids about the questions and activities.  We did some of the comprehension questions in GM orally since it can be a lot of writing for a 3rd grader.  We had fun drawing illustrations and digging deeper, especially seeing how many references to Greek mythology show up in our culture today.

My dd even dressed up as Athena for Halloween :)!

• Like 3

Ok, I'm looking at my teacher book for GM.  Each lesson is pretty much the same as the sample.  There are the Facts to Know, Vocabulary, Comprehension Questions, and Activities.  The Activities section is the one that varies the most.  There are questions for discussing the illustrations in the D'Aulaire book.  Then there are are questions relating the stories to Bible stories or characters, and instructions for adding to the lists in the back of the book.  These lists are kind of cool if you like to see information neatly organized, there are lists of 50 sisters, mortals punished for hubris, heroes hidden in youth, sisters, unusual punishments in Hades, etc.  I like the lists because it helps us remember what we learn to organize it that way.

There are also activities that I would describe as "take it further."  Things like looking up narcissist in the dictionary and researching narcissus flowers, drawing family trees of the gods, writing a paragraph (or discussing) topics like "compare Poseidon's personality to the temperament of the seas."  These do have answers provided for you.

More and more I am seeing that while the MP guides would be dry if you used them as worksheets that you hand to your kids, they can also be interesting and lead to great discussion if you take the time to interact with your kids about the questions and activities.  We did some of the comprehension questions in GM orally since it can be a lot of writing for a 3rd grader.  We had fun drawing illustrations and digging deeper, especially seeing how many references to Greek mythology show up in our culture today.

My dd even dressed up as Athena for Halloween :)!

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much! I really, really appreciate your looking that up for me. I might even get the TM and not the student guide--I think this will be something we do orally and interactively if we do it, and it sounds like the tools are there to use it that way (I try to get stuff as close to how I teach as I can to preserve time and sanity). My son is on the young side for this, but he loves learning about these sorts of things. 

I might even get the TM and not the student guide--I think this will be something we do orally and interactively if we do it, and it sounds like the tools are there to use it that way (I try to get stuff as close to how I teach as I can to preserve time and sanity). My son is on the young side for this, but he loves learning about these sorts of things. 

Highly recommended approach, the student workbook can be dropped and the entire thing done orally, and it will probably be better than working on the traditional "Do your workbook, then I will check the answers"-approach.

• Like 1