Menu

Grammar after FLL4 that can be done mostly independently?

staceyobu

I need something for a 5th grader next year.  This has been a difficult year.  Everything needs to be read aloud to everyone.  Apart from spelling and handwriting, no one has anything they can do by themselves.  I really need to be able to keep kids sitting at the table and engaged in some sort of work while I work with siblings.  I would love for the 5th grader to be able to do grammar on her own even if we need to go over a lesson first.  I would also consider moving my 3rd grader to something similar after FLL 2.  

We find Hake Grammar to be independent, thorough, and effective.

Also I've heard the same about Analytical Grammar, but you'd have to research whether your DD would be best placed into Junior Analytical Grammar or the regular Analytical Grammar.

Easy Grammar is also independent. We tried it when my DS was in 4th grade, and he liked using it, but I found it lacked enough repetition over time to for him to retain much of it. Once we tried Hake, with the spiral review built in, rather than being in a separate book (Daily Grams), we never looked back at Easy Grammar again. It seems to work well for others though.

• Like 1

I'm looking at Hake next year for the same reasons you mentioned. Hopefully some others will chime in for what has worked for them. I also have R&S and have heard it can be used independently but I've never been able to use it that way. :(

We find Hake Grammar to be independent, thorough, and effective.

Also I've heard the same about Analytical Grammar, but you'd have to research whether your DD would be best placed into Junior Analytical Grammar or the regular Analytical Grammar.

Easy Grammar is also independent. We tried it when my DS was in 4th grade, and he liked using it, but I found it lacked enough repetition over time to for him to retain much of it. Once we tried Hake, with the spiral review built in, rather than being in a separate book (Daily Grams), we never looked back at Easy Grammar again. It seems to work well for others though.

Hmmm.  I was actually looking at some reviews for Hake.  We love Saxon math.  Is it the same publishing company?  

We are in the same boat for next year. My top contenders are Hake grammar, or IEW's Fix It done with both my rising 5th and 3rd graders. From what I understand you would do a 15 or so minute lesson with them both together on Monday and then the rest of the week they work mosty independently. I am planning to look at both at convention.

Hmmm. I was actually looking at some reviews for Hake. We love Saxon math. Is it the same publishing company?

Stephen Hake is listed as co-author on John Saxon's math series. Stephen Hake also founded Hake Grammar. I've never used Saxon Math, but apparently Hake Grammar uses the same continual spiral review format as Saxon Math. It works well for my DS. He does all the questions in the new material section of each lesson, followed by every other question in the review set. HTH.

CLE Language arts might work if your not opposed to Christian material.  It is thorough and totally independent.  I even have my middle two kids (5th and 3rd grade) grade each others work.  They get a kick out of being allowed to use the teachers manuals and it takes so much off of me!!  

I agree with Leah_S in this thread (link below) that was started a few days ago about how great Saxon Grammar and Writing is (Hake Grammar is it's former name).

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/543757-recommendations-for-3rd-and-5th-grade-grammar/?hl=%2B3rd+%2Band+%2B5th&do=findComment&comment=6219904

Scroll down to the summary of Leah_S as I can't improve on her summary.  She posted several links so you can not only read about it but also read the many reviews of users.

It's REALLY good and it's a perfect follow up to FLL series, esp since you've finished FLL 4.    And it's also reasonably priced and can be used with subsequent kiddos (all you'd need is to purchase another workbook for $11)

Analytical grammar is good for independent work. 

Need the videos. 

For two of girls who are pretty advanced in general language arts wise I went straight to normal AG. For my child who struggles and struggles with everything, she is going into AG Jr.