Menu

Anyone else disturbed by satanic connotations of Beast Academy?

Frechesmaedl

The beast stuff in beast academy doesn't bother me at all. Dd doesn't like it because they're "ugly." I told her when she graduated from MIT she could make the girly-princess version of BA and I'd be more than happy to front the capital for the first round of publishing. :)

Also, I spent my 20s in "Bill Gothard land," so whenever I read something like this I think "here we go again...like with the Cabbage Patch dolls and Barney and ...."

That being said, I do think that's a weird thing to find in the aops site. I suspect it is poorly written. Was Pythagorus a Satanist? Maybe. We'd need more proof. I'm assuming he was a Greek-myth believing pagan.

Are Pentagrams always satanic? Of course not. They're a shape. Many things in nature are in pentas. Fingers, toes, 5 lacks symmetry therefore makes an interesting element in artistic design.

This just makes me think of "All truth is God's truth." As Christians I think we're called at times to separate the wheat and chaff in areas of academia. Some Christians, eg, completely (and IMO ignorantly) throw out psychiatry and psychology--to the sad danger of many people that could be helped and healed with a combination of Biblical truth and modern psychiatric scientific truth. But it takes a smart, well-educated, discerning Christian to put all that together. (I hope I'm raising them. :))

Could there be a satanic math curriculum out there? I'm sure. Is it aops and BA? I seriously doubt it and would need to see a lot more proof that it is. I'd be fascinated to hear the publishers take on this if the OP would email them. :)

• Like 4

Please note people: the pentagram thing wasn't on the (main part of the) AOPS site, but on their user edited wiki. It's a wiki, people. A wiki. I could go add anything I wanted to right now. People put random shizznit on wikis all the time.

Edited to clarify that the wiki is on their page.

• Like 20

From my point of view as a Christian, I think that I could use the curriculum with a clear conscience. However, I have to say that when I first heard about the program and went to its site my radar went up. I closed the page and never felt inclined to seek it out as a math program for us to use.

My opinion is that it does include subtle indoctrination by using the cute beasts. And many programs do this, such as Reading Eggs (which my children use.) Keep in mind that evolutionist's believe that a human being is no different to an animal, and that we are the same as animals (ie we are nothing more than just 'beasts', literally.)

So my concern would not be with the 'mark of the beast' so much, but my concern would be having my children's eyes opened to the indoctrination. For older children I would also educate them about the mixing of human and animal DNA. These cute beasts, whether in this program, or in any other show or story represent animals as humans. Animals that can walk and talk, again equating an animal with a human status. As Christians we love animals, but we do not believe that they have a soul, and we don't believe that they need salvation.

Hope that helps in some way, just offering a different opinion to the ones above.

So what about Reading Eggs makes it so good that you are willing to risk eternal damnation? It just seems like there are a lot of really good reading programs out there, why take the chance?

• Like 10

Really the only thing I have to add is a joke: and then Satan said, "Put the alphabet in math." 

Please note people: the pentagram thing wasn't on the AOPS site, but on their user edited wiki. It's a wiki, people. A wiki. I could go add anything I wanted to right now. People put random shizznit on wikis all the time.

I remember when someone (not sure who) added to a Well known forum wiki that we  they had an "official beverage".  :lol:

• Like 10

My two year old does a perfect imitation of the PBS Curious George. It can be a real problem sometimes. If only we had stuck to the book versions. :(

That's adorable.

We didn't do TV with our older son that young and both of the boys' first exposure to Curious George was the orginal treasury of books. My younger son definitely saw a little TV at that age, but I don't remember what it was. Probably he saw the Curious George movie at about 3 or 4.

I am just blown away. I had no idea this was a concern. I really need to climb out from under my rock more often.

Nope. Don't do it. Life is so much more peaceful and joyful when one doesn't go looking for reasons to be offended.

Just to contribute nothing to this thread, I will add that I still, 30 years later, have a "contraband" unicorn figurine that a friend got me. I had to keep it hidden, because we weren't allowed to have unicorns, because Satan! Duh. I still have it. Clearly, the Satanic indoctrination worked, because we love us some Harry Potter over here, and if dogs don't have souls, ain't nothing has a soul!

• Like 16

Does anybody feel like apologizing to the aops for this thread? I do. :(

I'll admit I'm a little embarrassed because Kathy in Richmond's daughter works there.

OTOH, one of the main purposes of this board is to help people find a good fit and people have all sorts of criteria such as faith, price, rigor, etc. I wonder what curriculum publishers think when people ask if their curriculum is as easy as everyone says or too expensive. They just roll with it, I guess.

• Like 1

I'll admit I'm a little embarrassed because Kathy in Richmond's daughter works there.

OTOH, one of the main purposes of this board is to help people find a good fit and people have all sorts of criteria such as faith, price, rigor, etc. I wonder what curriculum publishers think when people ask if their curriculum is as easy as everyone says or too expensive. They just roll with it, I guess.

Well yes, good fit, but this just takes it to places. It's one thing to ask if a curriculum is easy. After all, some kids need easy. There is no shame in struggling in a subject. I am thrilled that there are options. Same with price. But to be debating if a reputable publisher is a secret satan worshiper?

• Like 11

Not trying to be snarky; I'm honestly curious. Do you forbid your kids from having stuffed animals in case they anthropomorphize them? Do you avoid reading Frog and Toad or Dr. Seuss? Are your kids not allowed to watch Fetch or Martha Speaks?

You are honestly curious?

No, I don't forbid them having stuffed animals. I also said that I could use this program with a clear conscience.

• Like 1

Ok, the edit that added the pentagram thing was made by someone who whited out his name named "hyper set". Hyper set was banned/blocked from the AOPS wiki for, and I quote, "13:36, 30 May 2011 Btilm305 (Talk | contribs) blocked HyperSet (Talk | contribs) with an expiry time of indefinite (account creation disabled) (inserting nonsense into pages and spamming pages with youtube links)"

Wikis aren't even vaguely new. When finding things online, it is incumbent on the reader to use a certain degree of savvy to figure out what is real and what is not. Developing a basic knowledge of how the Internet works and learning to check things like edit history when available is only prudent. More so when leveling charges like demonic activity against a very reputable business.

Here is a screen shot recording that user being blocked.

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php/User:HyperSet

post-34710-0-89560900-1425192330_thumb.jpg

post-34710-0-89560900-1425192330_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

Indoctrination into what, exactly?

The two things that I mentioned: Human beings represented on the same level as animals. Mixing DNA of animals and people being acceptable. (And to go further, sex with animals is okay, because us humans, well, we are just animals.)

Of course, I am speaking in a general way. A long term, slow and subtle indoctrination process is how I see it. We are also heading towards accepting transhumanism which is a connected idea. Half human, half robot.

Beast Academy probably more accurately represents hybridization in their imagery  - mixing different parts of beasts together to make new beasts.

• Like 1

Well yes, good fit, but this just takes it to places. It's one thing to ask if a curriculum is easy. After all, some kids need easy. There is no shame in struggling in a subject. I am thrilled that there are options. Same with price. But to be debating if a reputable publisher is a secret satan worshiper?

Agreed.

• Like 1

Isn't the personification of animals a reoccurring theme in much of children's literature?

Do you worry, for instance about:

Charlotte's Web

The Rats of Nimh

Wind in the Willows

Winnie the Pooh

Black Beauty

Alice in Wonderland

Curious George

Babar

The Black Stallion

Stuart Little

Peter Rabbit

Frog and Toad

I can keep going. For a long time.

I mean, really?

Both my sons have written their own fiction featuring animal characters. Should I be worried?

I'm not really an extreme sort of person. It's going to be assumed that I am from my comments on this thread because of stereotyping, but I'm not. I try to be quite balanced in my approach to things, and I don't fit into the legalistic Christian camp either. There isn't much that I have banned my children from (I let them read and watch things that most other children do), but I point things out that I think that they should be aware of.

I am only pointing out what I saw when I initially looked at Beast Academy, from my perspective. And what I see comes as a result of part of my worldview.

It also doesn't matter whether I personally approve of something or not (regarding the earlier comment asking if I am against the Narnia books.) Each of us make our own decisions on our own convictions. I can't go outside of this world I live in, so I just try to make better decisions where I can. And keep my eyes opened to what I think is going on around me. And I do my best to educate my children on how to think for themselves, and to ask questions about the world around them. My aim is to get them to begin to monitor good and bad for themselves.

I also think that having a healthy imagination is a good thing. I'm not against fiction.

• Like 9

So what about Reading Eggs makes it so good that you are willing to risk eternal damnation? It just seems like there are a lot of really good reading programs out there, why take the chance?

I think your response to my response is a bit extreme. :001_rolleyes: I haven't mentioned that anyone will be damned if they use Beast Academy or Reading Eggs.

• Like 5

I wish Satan would send Beast Academy to Australia!

Sadie, you mean for PS? Send me yours or an address I can send it to you and I'll order it and send as a gift. Why can't you get it?

To the OP: I am opposed to superstitious and religious education for my children. I have found no such thing in BA, in all the reviews I have read.

However, if you feel uncomfortable with it, don't use it. Your fear will be felt by your children and that will not be good for their education.

Beast Academy - hmmm, sounds familiar...mark of the beast in Revelation?

How much of the Bible have you read? Many translations use "beast" for all terrestrial creatures throughout, including, for example, horses.

• Like 1

Is there anyone else who is disturbed by Beast Academy and its satanic connotations?  I remember when it came out and how much praise it received. The name was a bit perturbing - Beast Academy - hmmm, sounds familiar...mark of the beast in Revelation? Then, I viewed the materials: demon-like, dragon, monster creatures, but made to look "cute".

CC: (Christian content-ing my own post :lol: )

Frechesmaedl, I just looked at the website again and it did remind me of why I had the initial reaction that I did. It was the combination of the dragon and the beast so close to each other. The small cute green dragon next to the word 'Beast', looking down to the other winged creature also with a dragons tail (another dragon?)

'And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?' (Revelation 13:4)

Might just be a coinkydink though.

• Like 2

Sadie, you mean for PS? Send me yours or an address I can send it to you and I'll order it and send as a gift. Why can't you get it?

Because International postage is the evilest maths in the world.

Honestly, what kind of Satanist cause is going to be furthered by subtly indoctrinating maths loving, prepubescent children?

And, for the sake of education, not all Satanists worship Satan, that's only the theistic ones. 

• Like 22

Sometimes an excellent math book for kids that has imaginary cartoon characters is really just an excellent math book for kids that has imaginary cartoon characters.

Finding hidden meaning in something has absolutely nothing to do what an author's intention is, be it in a fiction or non-fiction book.

Then again, I know how many times I have been told to just ignore intentional proselytizing in a homeschool curriculum so I can see why some might assume that curriculum developers have agendas that have nothing to do with teaching math.

Beast Academy revolutionized math for my DD. It converted her from a math hater to a math beast for sure. Hope you find something as enlightening.

• Like 15

You are honestly curious?

No, I don't forbid them having stuffed animals. I also said that I could use this program with a clear conscience.

Yes, I was honestly curious. I have never heard that the anthropomorphization of animals could be a spiritual concern. And I used to live with a pastor. It really seems like you cannot avoid human-like animals in kid land, so if there are people who do avoid this, I wonder how!

• Like 3

We're Muslim and Muslims have some peculiar beliefs regarding Satan, such as he lives in the bathroom and Satan eats and drinks with his left hand.  This is why culturally Muslims eat with their right hand and wipe their bottom with their left.   Parents will tell kids if they eat with their left hand by mistake, that they are feeding satan/shaytan.  Yes, I admit they are weird beliefs.

Even with all those things, it never occurred to me to have any issues with Beast Academy.  Two of my kids have done it and loved it.  I didn't find anything troubling.  But yes, we do like Harry Potter too.  I'll add a disclaimer that prior to converting to Islam, I took courses at a Reformed seminary and have read the Bible in numerous translations many times.  I still was not disturbed by BA.

Now, if only they'd go on sale for $6.66. ;)

You might like CLE for math.  It's a good solid program, and you can give it a try for only $3.00/unit.  Bob Jones and Abeka also have math programs.  

• Like 17

This thread is gobsmacking. :001_unsure: If I were this opposed or suspicious of a curriculum I would just not buy it. A few of the more sensitive posters in this thread said they did precisely that with Beast Academy. Why even ask if something you're obviously biased against would work for your family? Let alone muck up it's name.

There are jillions of math options out there. Plenty with gratuitous Bible verses mingled with the multiplication if that's what you'd prefer. They come in spiral or mastery, colorful or plain, with loads of help for the teacher or TM's you barely need to look at. (The one I used as a kid made me memorize a Bible verse in every chapter/thin workbook, and points were taken off my final test if I hadn't memorized it right.)

Let it go and find something that won't make you twitch. Life is too short. :001_smile:

• Like 11

This has been weighing on me all evening. I find both the title and the premise of this thread to be essentially bearing false witness against the publishers of this curriculum--spreading what amounts to gossip about them with the intent to harm their reputation and livelihood, and doing so, by your own statement, on not even the flimsiest of actual evidence of any intent (ill or otherwise) related to the claim. There are a few verses in the Bible about that, as I remember.

How many people will read the title of the thread and make assumptions about this publisher without reading further  or investigating it on their own and will pass those assumptions on to their friends? Suppose you do email the publisher and discover that there is no ill intent whatsoever, so you change your mind about your assumption that they are recruiting for Satan via math problems, even if you don't decide to buy the curriculum. How do you erase the misinformation that's been spread?

There is a huge difference between deciding a curriculum is not a good fit for you because you don't care for the illustrations and posting in an international forum that they are evil masterminds intentionally and specifically trying to actively cause harm to children.

Karen is absolutely right. How many people will google Beast Academy and find this thread but not bother to read all the way to page 2 and LucyStoner's explanation of the source of the quote?

OP, could you edit your post to reflect that the quote you cite was on AOPS' wiki page and posted by a user that was subsequently banned? I think it's very important that that information appear at the start of the thread.

• Like 14

I actually find it incredibly disturbing to accuse them of "satanic imagery" and "indoctrination".

I mean, if you don't do talking animals (I have known a few who didn't), fine. "We don't do talking animals" is perfectly reasonable. But to assume that anyone who does do talking animals is engaged in a long-term indoctrination project aimed at animal-human crossbreeding and sex with animals?! Really?!

• Like 27

I have to admit...

When I first read the title, my immediate thought was, "Oh no, did I not see something that *should* have concerned me?"  Then I read the OPs concerns and (OP, not to diminish your opinion) my fears were immediately alleviated because the concern is really based on sheer nothingness.

That said...I'm fairly positive that the writers of Beast Academy would be laughing their rears off, should they come across this thread.  

Finally...again, I do come from Fundie circles...it is an ongoing running joke between my bestie and myself, about how one year, for Jesus' birthday cake, she made devil's food cake.  

Add in some Heluva Good Cheese, Devil Dogs, Deviled eggs, and apparently some Beast Academy, and obviously you have a feast made for Lucifer himself!  

• Like 6

Finally...again, I do come from Fundie circles...it is an ongoing running joke between my bestie and myself, about how one year, for Jesus' birthday cake, she made devil's food cake.  

Add in some Heluva Good Cheese, Devil Dogs, Deviled eggs, and apparently some Beast Academy, and obviously you have a feast made for Lucifer himself!  

LOL :)

You reminded me that my DH took issue with the name "Angel Food Cake."  How dare we mortals pretend we make anything good enough for the angels.  So now he insists that the kids call it "cloud cake".   I still call it angel food cake.   I think I'll see how he reacts if I make a Devil's Food cake for Ramadan this year.  :)

• Like 10

Karen is absolutely right. How many people will google Beast Academy and find this thread but not bother to read all the way to page 2 and LucyStoner's explanation of the source of the quote?

I think by the time they get to page two (if they ever do), they will have found confirmation for the stereotype that home education is a practical system for brainwashing children without the inconvenient interference of academic knowledge (or anything outside certain cultish beliefs). Post after post reacting to the OP's question as if it were a legitimate, understandable concern will all but seal the deal.

• Like 18

I'm not really an extreme sort of person. It's going to be assumed that I am from my comments on this thread because of stereotyping, but I'm not. I try to be quite balanced in my approach to things, and I don't fit into the legalistic Christian camp either. There isn't much that I have banned my children from (I let them read and watch things that most other children do), but I point things out that I think that they should be aware of.

I am only pointing out what I saw when I initially looked at Beast Academy, from my perspective. And what I see comes as a result of part of my worldview.

It also doesn't matter whether I personally approve of something or not (regarding the earlier comment asking if I am against the Narnia books.) Each of us make our own decisions on our own convictions. I can't go outside of this world I live in, so I just try to make better decisions where I can. And keep my eyes opened to what I think is going on around me. And I do my best to educate my children on how to think for themselves, and to ask questions about the world around them. My aim is to get them to begin to monitor good and bad for themselves.

I also think that having a healthy imagination is a good thing. I'm not against fiction.

I get that you don't feel your views are extreme. That said, to most people the view that a literary device like personification represents condoning or advocating the mixing of DNA across species and cross species sex is an inherently extreme view shared by a very small group. One, DNA doesn't work that way. Two, most people are not considering sex with animals when they are reading Frog and Toad and Wind in the Willows. No matter how I dice that onion, it still sounds quite extreme. This is not stereotyping. This is reading your words as you wrote them.

The two things that I mentioned: Human beings represented on the same level as animals. Mixing DNA of animals and people being acceptable. (And to go further, sex with animals is okay, because us humans, well, we are just animals.)

Of course, I am speaking in a general way. A long term, slow and subtle indoctrination process is how I see it. We are also heading towards accepting transhumanism which is a connected idea. Half human, half robot.

Beast Academy probably more accurately represents hybridization in their imagery - mixing different parts of beasts together to make new beasts.

• Like 29

If anthropomorphizing animals is a problem, what about objects? Like Thomas? Is Thomas the Train a problem? Were my sons learning that they were not functionally different than an antique steam engine with a face?

Those dern Veggietales spreading teh evilz. 

Nope. Don't do it. Life is so much more peaceful and joyful when one doesn't go looking for reasons to be offended.

Just to contribute nothing to this thread, I will add that I still, 30 years later, have a "contraband" unicorn figurine that a friend got me. I had to keep it hidden, because we weren't allowed to have unicorns, because Satan! Duh. I still have it. Clearly, the Satanic indoctrination worked, because we love us some Harry Potter over here, and if dogs don't have souls, ain't nothing has a soul!

And cats!!

If math isn't causing you spiritual unrest, you need to find a new math. As an atheist, I don't pray often, but when I do, it's about math. Because math.

I love you.  

Beast Academy probably more accurately represents hybridization in their imagery  - mixing different parts of beasts together to make new beasts.

Wait...did you just say sex with animals is ok?  And you have an issue with cartoon math?  

• Like 6

Beast Academy probably more accurately represents hybridization in their imagery - mixing different parts of beasts together to make new beasts.

I think I've heard it all, and then... this. Beast Academy leads to sex with animals. Oy vey.

• Like 20

Of course we're animals. We're certainly not plants. However, with that said, sex with animals is not okay. You're forgetting about consent, which is the general measuring stick used with progressive sexual ethics. Things with consent are okay. Things without consent are not okay. Non-sentient beings cannot consent, because they're non-sentient, and therefore sex with them by somebody who is sentient, and thus knows better, is not okay.

• Like 13