Menu

Landry Academy Favorite Classes

Trinqueta has taken Spanish 2 with Sra. Lamolinara. She's a good teacher with a lovely, native accent. I do think that 1.5 hours is probably not enough practice time, but each LA teacher also offers an office hour for more individual attention. All of the audio files for the textbook are posted so you can do extra practice if the assigned work isn't enough practice.

English IV has been a very nice, well rounded English class. They cover Michael Clay Thomspson's Magic Lens 1 level and read the works from Lightning Lit 8. There is a 800-1000 word paper assigned for most of the works (so about 6 for the year).

Latin 1 with Mrs. Parnell is a very good class. She's an excellent teacher and T loves listening to her lectures. Next year LA will be switching to Latin Alive for Latin 1 and 2, which looks much more user friendly than Jenney's Latin. With Latin, you don't have the listening comprehension/oral practice problem that you have for modern languages, so you don't need to add anything to the class. That's a good thing, because this one is quite rigorous and the homework takes about 4-5 hours a week (plus class, plus quizzes).

Foundations of Math is a quick pre algebra review. Mrs. Marks is an excellent teacher and T learned a lot in this class. I'd highly recommend as a summer class if your child wants to review before jumping into algebra.  She also teaches a similar algebra review.

If you look at all the French classes, you'll probably be able to see how many are taught be each teacher. The one with the most classes probably has more experience. However, a new teacher can be good. T's Eng IV teacher, Mrs. Bontrager, is lively and engaging. She has had some technical problems with the quizzes, but she's always fixed them quickly.

Maybe I could just ask for any courses that your child has enjoyed taking at Landry? I wish I could change the subject line.... 

I think you can. Go back to your original post & click "edit." You should be able to change your subject line. You'll also want to change what you have in your first post to reflect you changed the title & what you are looking for now. :-)

Dd is doing Biology this year and it seems to be a pretty typical biology class. Lecture, reading, questions, labs, lab reports. She has Kerrie Childress as an instructor and she is very prompt in answering emails.

how creationist vs evolutionary is it? thanks!