Menu

"Pre-school" Routine

Guest AndreaA

Guest AndreaA

Curious to hear others' daily "pre-school" routines. We have a three year old boy with one on the way.

The following takes one half hour:

Say the Pledge (We stand, face the flag with hands on hearts.)

Review letter sounds

Review numbers

Lesson from Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading

Learn two new words in Latin

Use alphabet magnets to spell the two words

One more activity such as coloring or scribbling

From there we spend the rest of the day reading, cooking, playing, etc. We incorporate tougher English vocabulary all day long into his play. We try to read books on every subject, especially Bible stories, mythology, classic fairy tales, science and history. 

I have a 4 and a 2.

Bible Story (3 min)

Memory Work: Books of the Bible, Bible verse, Nursery Rhyme, Spanish Vocab (5 min)

Spell to Write & Read phonogram cards (1 min)

Handwriting (2 min)

MEP Reception and/or Mathematics Made Meaningful (3-10 min)

Casually we watch The Magic School Bus, Salsa or El Mickey Mouse, do Pinterest style Science stuff, and art. We read for about an hour a day, and Daddy's teaching him piano on demand. My favorite things are Cuisionare Rods, Sketchbooks (so they can watch there progression and build upon old ideas), Spell to Write & Read phonogram cards, and almost every book mentioned on the AO list, in Sonlight 3/4, or by Dr. Seuss.

Eta: We also love our Appletters and Spanish Banana Grams.

Yours sounds pretty similar to what I did with mine when they were 3, except we didn't start Latin until first grade and added in lots of artwork, crafts, and simple science experiments.  

With my toddler, we spend about 20 minutes reading a Bible story, book, and nursery rhymes.  We listen to a song and sing along.  Then, we do a simple activity from Slow and Steady Get Me Ready.  He's only 1 1/2, so not doing preschool yet :).

• 2 weeks later...

My darling preschooler is 4 now, and will probably kindergartening it in the fall.  Not sure how that is possible...I thought she was just born last year. ;) 

Her routine is waking, dining, dressing/teeth, and then I play with her a bit while I do school with my son.  She might do a couple of workbook pages, we play games w/ C-rods, coloring together.  I definitely read to her a fair amount from our favorite picture books--several times a day.  

That is all I do for her.  Oh! And I include her in housework--she puts away her own laundry, sets the table, helps unload the dishwasher, and dry-mops the floor.

• Like 2

I love hearing the routine! :) Thank you so much for posting it. It has inspired me to add in the Pledge of Allegiance and Latin.

This is what we do now on the days our 4-year-old is home in the morning:

-Listen to/Watch songs in German or French on YouTube on my phone while finishing up breakfast

-Do a lesson from the Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading - I write out the info on an 8x11 sheet of paper with a couple of pictures as well.

- I write the complete lesson info on a sheet of paper for the 4-year-old

- I write just the letters and some pictures on a sheet of paper for the 2-year-old

-After the lesson, I give the pages to the children with a blank sheet on top and have them trace out the info and then color in the drawings. (The older one does this very well and likes to keep it with her at nap time and as a practice later. We refer back to it several times over the rest of the next day or two.)

-Followed by one of the following options:

-math practice with manipulatives

-geography practice coloring maps

-coloring themed pages I've selected

-listen to geography songs

-listen to songs about the presidents

-listen to history readings

-more phonics practice

Throughout the rest of the day, we add in more language practice, develop English vocabulary as well, do enrichment activities, cook, play, clean, and read the same kinds of stories your family does: Greek and Norse mythology, Bible stories, Classic Little Golden Books, Dr. Seuss, science, history, etc.

Are you doing the Classical Conversations program? I think I saw it mentioned in another post. I've been looking into that as well and was wondering if you had any thoughts to share on it. I don't know anyone who has experience with it.

The most important routine I establish during preschool is rest time after lunch.  Both my former preschooler and my current preschooler went/are going through the process of dropping their nap right around their fourth birthday, and we work hard to transition into them playing quietly in their room for 2 hours every afternoon.  It is good for them, it is good for me, it is good for older and younger siblings.

Other than that, their day is filled with read alouds, household activities, imaginative play, sensory tubs, outside time and busy bags and open ended toys that gently introduce beginning reading and math skills.

My current preschooler is welcome to hang out with the kindergartner and I during school time, but that is mostly read alouds, drawing pictures to narrate what we read, free play with math manipulatives and some optional Kumon fine motor workbooks that I got him to do if he wants during handwriting time.

Wendy

• Like 2

For DD (3)

Teach Your Monster to Read (5-10 min)

Loe foundations A (10-15 min)

Mep math reception (10 min)

Various critical thinking co books (5-10 min)

All said, it takes under an hour each day. We typically go to story time 1x a week, a science museum 1x a week, a farm park 1x a week, and usually a random place with friends 1x a week. After nap is a daily-ish playground trip for an hour or two. Also tons of reading during the day...typically 2-3 short chapter books and 30-50 picture books a week.

• Like 1

My darling preschooler is 4 now, and will probably kindergartening it in the fall. Not sure how that is possible...I thought she was just born last year. ;)

Her routine is waking, dining, dressing/teeth, and then I play with her a bit while I do school with my son. She might do a couple of workbook pages, we play games w/ C-rods, coloring together. I definitely read to her a fair amount from our favorite picture books--several times a day.

That is all I do for her. Oh! And I include her in housework--she puts away her own laundry, sets the table, helps unload the dishwasher, and dry-mops the floor.

That plus playdough, puzzles and, a sandpit and regular trips to the park (or backyard if big) sounds right for a 4 year old.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter and I have a pretty dynamic 'preschool' routine that begins with praying and breakfast. We proceed with the day by going through her favorite books as well as some books I specially procured for helping develop pre-academic skills in preschoolers. We go on to play with toys/paint/do clay-modeling. Lunch is followed by nap-time after which I help involve her in some sort of interactive play for which I often invite her friends from the neighbourhood.

I didn't homeschool my oldest for preschool. I homeschooled my son at 3, 4, and we're doing k right now. It was pretty low key but basically.....

Morning board type stuff--- 5 minutes

Bible ---- 5 minutes

Workbook ---- 10 minutes

Preschool toy / activity ---- 5 min

Reading Aloud ---- 15 min

Activity time ---- 20 min

So about an hour a day.