Menu

Best film versions of Shakespeare and other plays

One of my New Year’s resolutions (yes, I know it is February!) is to expose my kids to more Shakespeare and other classic or canonical plays. (I have a broad view of the canon, but am more motivated to spend the money and time on a play that isn’t one I have never heard of, have no idea if it is suitable, etc. -- though again I have a broad view of what would be okay for them to see, and they are 12 and 16.) We are definitely trying to go to live productions, but I'd like to do more.

I’m sure this has been asked before, but I would love some recommendations for the most engaging film adaptations. Ones I/we have seen and liked include the Mirren Tempest, the Branagh Henry V and Much Ado about Nothing. I remember loving the Zeffrelli Romeo and Juliet as a kid. Although we have loved the live plays we have seen, my 12 year old mentioned that one reason he liked the film Tempest so much as compared to the play we saw was that the film could show what was happening in the expository dialogue. So I’d prefer films, and not just plays that are filmed.

Although the examples I gave above are Shakespeare, I’m not limiting it to that.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Shakespeare

"Clean" Shakespeare movies appropriate for 13yo? -- thread from 2014

"Best Versions of Shakespeare Plays" -- thread from 2011

- Hamlet (2009) -- David Tennant/Patrick Stewart

- Taming of the Shrew (1980) -- BBC staged for TV version starring John Cleese

- Merchant of Venice (2004) -- Al Pacino (NOTE: brief toplessness in background; maybe preview for your 12yo)
- Macbeth = Throne of Blood, Japanese samurai adaptation
Much Ado About Nothing -- 2012 Joss Whedon version (in addition to the 1993 version)

Movies that are loosely-based adaptations of Shakespeare:

- Romeo & Juliet ---> West Side Story (1961); Warm Bodies (2013); Gnomeo and Juliet (2011)

- Macbeth ----> Throne of Blood (Japanese samurai) (1957)

- The Tempest ----> Forbidden Planet (1956)

- Taming of the Shrew ----Kiss Me Kate (1953)

Other Classic Plays:

- Peter Pan, or, The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up (Barry) -- 1924 -- OR -- 2003

- Pygmalion (Shaw) -- 1938 -- and then the 1964 musical made from the play: My Fair Lady (1964)

- You Can't Take it With You (Kaufman & Hart) -- 1938

- His Girl Friday (Cormac & Lederer) -- 1940 -- based on the play The Front Page

- Arsenic and Old Lace (Kesselring) -- 1944

- Gaslight (Hamilton) -- 1944

- Blithe Spirit (Coward) -- 1944

- Born Yesterday (Kanin) -- 1950

- Harvey (Chase) -- 1950

- Cyrano de Bergerac (Rostand) -- 1950

- The Importance of Being Earnest (Wilde) -- 1952

- Twelve Angry Men (Rose) -- 1957

- The Philadelphia Story (Barry) -- 1940

- Inherit the Wind (Lawrence & Lee) -- 1960

- Our Town (Wilder) -- 2003 -- OR -- 1977

- A Raisin in the Sun (Hainsberry) -- 1961 -- OR -- 2008

And don't forget classic musical plays...

Just FYI.

This week, I stumbled upon a PBS series, "Shakespeare Uncovered".  Today's one-hour documentary on Romeo & Juliet included brief interviews from several of the more famous celebrities who played leading roles, easy re-telling of the plot & explanation of the themes, and excerpts of just about every movie version--from B&W to Jullian Fellowes' 2013 version with Orlando Bloom.

They've done 12 of the more famous Shakespeare works.  Try to see if they're playing on your PBS station.  Two seasons of 6 episodes each, on Amazon.  Free on Amazon instant prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Uncovered-2-Morgan-Freeman/dp/B00PHD6EY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424641295&sr=8-1&keywords=shakespeare+uncovered

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Uncovered-Ethan-Hawke/dp/B00B1E6EAY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424641377&sr=8-2&keywords=shakespeare+uncovered

Just found the full version of "Taming of the Shrew" hosted by Morgan Freeman online on our local PBS station website:

http://video.ket.org/video/2365412847/

Full versions of 6 of the episodes:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/shakespeare-uncovered/

There are also downloadable resources in free PDF form. 

I'm (obviously) excited about this--hope it helps you as well.