Menu

How insane is it to take both Lukeion's Latin and Greek?

I know it has been done on this board. But it just seems so insane to take two of the Barrs' classes with their tight schedule, unforgiving deadlines, and weekly tests.

We are now in Lukeion's Latin 1 with looming registration deadline for current students.

On average DD does about 1 hour of daily work for Latin, Monday to Friday, including class. Latin 1 has been relatively smooth because we had worked 3/4 of the way through Henle, although I feel the exercises are much more difficult in Wheelock.

We've done some Koine Greek, but the Barrs cover 2 volumes of Athenaze in 2 years!

Please tell me your student's schedule for Greek and Latin and anything else so that I can figure out whether DD can handle all this. And, to do all that work without even an AP score to show for it.

• Like 2

My son has done it, but it wasn't easy; he was averaging about 10 hrs/wk in each class, in addition to his other courses and a time-consuming sport. However, he has an assortment of LDs that make vocabulary memorization a slow and frustrating process, so that may not be typical. This year he has an outside chemistry class, as well as a packed competition schedule, and he felt that it would be too time-consuming and too stressful trying to juggle the homework and exam schedules for two Lukeion classes with so much travel, so he is just doing Greek with them and self-studying Latin. That said, it seems that many (perhaps most) of the students in the Lukeion Greek classes are also in the Latin classes, so clearly a lot of students manage to handle both. 

FWIW, my son finds Greek far more interesting and rewarding than Latin; he says it has a depth and richness and quirkiness that Latin lacks, and it's something that he can see himself continuing to read and study throughout his life, whereas Latin is definitely just a "school subject" for him. If adding Greek is your DD's idea and it's something she really wants to study, then I would sign her up for 1A and see how it goes. If it's too much, she can drop it. If she likes it and can handle it, sign her up for 1B. It may not give her another AP score, but it could spark a life-long love affair with an amazing and beautiful language.

• Like 3

One of mine did three languages in high school (Latin, Russian, and Spanish).  But his focus shifted elsewhere, and he's doing no languages at all for this last semester of 12th grade.  

My priority was at least one language through AP, and the others were just "gravy" based on interest.  When that interest faded, we stopped!

DD has an easier time with languages than with any other subject, so if I were to drop everything else in favor of more languages, she would probably be a happier kid. We did use Elementary Greek for a while, so she knows enough to know she wants to continue learning Greek.

clrchomeschool.com covers 2 volumes of Athenaze in 3 years. With clrchomeschool, there is no need to download the Greek font to submit homework. Everything is done with paper and pen and scanned to the teacher. The only problem is that clrc has not set a schedule yet, and the Barrs already opened up registration for current students.

How does submitting homework work with Lukeion (quia and quizzes)? Do I download the font and each letter corresponds to a Greek letter?

Oh and I know if DD knew that some kids in her Lukeion class were also in the Greek class, she would probably want to do both with Lukeion, but I'm very worried about the amount of work. I KNOW what Mrs. Barr expects, and this week was a particular heavy week in terms of work assigned (Chapter 13 plus previous chapter translation).

DS always types his homework in a word processor and then pastes it into Quia to submit. (That's what Lukeion recommends for all their classes, so students don't lose their work in case Quia suddenly crashes.) He hasn't had to download any special fonts; they were preinstalled on his Mac. There's a "keyboard map" that shows which keys map to which Greek characters, which he memorized pretty quickly, although he did printed out a cheat sheet of the keystrokes for accents.

ETA: The amount of Greek typing in the quizzes is pretty minimal — generally just a few words or phrases. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My dd almost did this for 9th grade.  She'd started Lukeion Latin 1 in 6th and had planned on doubling up in AP Latin and Greek 1 this year.  I spoke with the Barrs, and they said she could handle it.  She decided to go part time to high school instead and the schedule conflicted.  So much depends on your student.  For mine, Greek would have been much easier already having that Latin background.  I think at some point she'll regret not having done it.  She's looking at Russian for the next three years.

Laura

• Like 1

My son has done it, but it wasn't easy; he was averaging about 10 hrs/wk in each class, in addition to his other courses and a time-consuming sport. However, he has an assortment of LDs that make vocabulary memorization a slow and frustrating process, so that may not be typical. This year he has an outside chemistry class, as well as a packed competition schedule, and he felt that it would be too time-consuming and too stressful trying to juggle the homework and exam schedules for two Lukeion classes with so much travel, so he is just doing Greek with them and self-studying Latin. That said, it seems that many (perhaps most) of the students in the Lukeion Greek classes are also in the Latin classes, so clearly a lot of students manage to handle both.

FWIW, my son finds Greek far more interesting and rewarding than Latin; he says it has a depth and richness and quirkiness that Latin lacks, and it's something that he can see himself continuing to read and study throughout his life, whereas Latin is definitely just a "school subject" for him. If adding Greek is your DD's idea and it's something she really wants to study, then I would sign her up for 1A and see how it goes. If it's too much, she can drop it. If she likes it and can handle it, sign her up for 1B. It may not give her another AP score, but it could spark a life-long love affair with an amazing and beautiful language.

I agree with all of the above. For a student who is really motivated and wants to do it it is a lot of work but rewarding. We found it difficult to schedule work for other subjects so you both need to be disciplined to be able to do the Lukeion work with the strict deadlines and still keep on top of everything else. We were not so great at balancing that part, but the work ethic he learned during the years he did it has definitely been worth it. My son loves greek much more than latin, and there is some great literature in greek that he finds more interesting as well. And I hate to have this be a consideration, but Greek is also a lot more unusual so it might be a plus on college applications in the future. We wouldn't have done all that work just for that reason, but it makes me feel a lot better about sliding some on the history, literature and writing, and then when he got far enough he did that in Greek.

Eta: ds has never found typing in Greek to be an issue, and he started pretty young. We downloaded the program recommended by Lukeion, keyman light I think? And he has been self sufficient ever since.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your feedback. I did end up paying for both Lukeions' Greek and Latin. The other place, clrchomeschool.com Greek class is right at the time Latin 2A starts, and I didn't want to change to a different Latin course. I'm a bit nervous about DD taking two of these classes, but she is very fond of learning languages. I tried to help her with Greek, but this particular language just doesn't work with my brain. Local high schools don't teach Greek, so this is our only chance to learn it if she goes to PS for high school.

• Like 1

I bet she'll love it! Regan is an awesome teacher.  :thumbup:

I couldn't possibly like this post enough.  Regan is the single best "outsourced" instructor in our homeschool experience for my three kids.  My oldest daughter is with Amy now in AP Latin too and thinks she is GREAT. Lukeion is simply a cut above the rest .... in my opinion, of course. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 4

I couldn't possibly like this post enough. Regan is the single best "outsourced" instructor in our homeschool experience for my three kids. My oldest daughter is with Amy now in AP Latin too and thinks she is GREAT. Lukeion is simply a cut above the rest .... in my opinion, of course. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, it's actually what I really need to hear because every time I think about next year, I shudder. But DD is very responsible when it comes to Latin - it may be that there are classmates and that Mrs. Barr is inspiring. If Mr. Barr is just as great, then I think it'll be easier on me.

As others have stated: Lukeion classes have been money well spent.  Ds a junior, started with Latin 2 at Lukeion and is currently in AP Latin.  He insisted on taking Greek 1 last year even though I had some concerns about the workload, his other subjects and music commitments.  He will stop with Greek 2 mostly because there are only so many hours in the day and he needs to get a few things lined up for pursuing Engr.  However, he is glad that he will still have some connection to Lukeion through Mr. Barr's class on Research Writing.  He would love to take a trip with them but I don't think we can make that happen.

If your dd has shown herself to be responsible with Latin, I'm sure she'll do just fine.  Time management is key!

• Like 1

Juggling the workload  gets interesting some weeks.  Regan is great about setting expectations for the week's work so that students can plan accordingly.  He is also incredibly talented at unpacking difficult concepts- this is from the perspective of all three of my DC who are all very different in personality and learning style. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lukeion.org offers high school level Latin and Attic Greek courses, as well as various Greek and Roman history and literature courses.

A number of families here have taken Lukeion courses and have highly recommended them. The only caution I've seen is that the courses do require significant study and effort. That said, I know my students have risen to the challenge and all three of mine want to continue with their Latin and/or Greek courses-- Latin 2 for my daughter, Latin 4/AP for my sons, and Greek 3 for one of my sons.

There are other, less "strenuous"(?) online Latin and Greek courses out there.

• Like 2

Lukeion.org offers high school level Latin and Attic Greek courses, as well as various Greek and Roman history and literature courses.

A number of families here have taken Lukeion courses and have highly recommended them. The only caution I've seen is that the courses do require significant study and effort. That said, I know my students have risen to the challenge and all three of mine want to continue with their Latin and/or Greek courses-- Latin 2 for my daughter, Latin 4/AP for my sons, and Greek 3 for one of my sons.

There are other, less "strenuous"(?) online Latin and Greek courses out there.

Have you already looked into where your sons will take the AP Latin exams? Since we are around the same area, I'm curious whether you know of others who have found seats. We are not at that point yet, but it's definitely something that is in the back if my mind.

Have you already looked into where your sons will take the AP Latin exams? Since we are around the same area, I'm curious whether you know of others who have found seats. We are not at that point yet, but it's definitely something that is in the back if my mind.

If the boys go to the local b&m next year, they would be able to take the AP Latin exam there, even though the b&m doesn't offer Latin courses. I really doubt we'll go that route, but while we're in touch with them, I'm hoping to build up at least an acquaintance w/ the woman who would be their counselor in the hopes that she'll help us even if we decide to continue home schooling. Can't hurt to try.

The other one I think I'll call next week to inquire is Bellarmine.  They do offer Latin. I'll pm you when I find out. 

Worse comes to worst, I"ll contact my old private high school an hour north of here, near Berkeley, and see if they'll let the boys take it with their students.  I'm pretty sure they will, but it will be a bit of a drive.

Have you started looking for any AP exam sites?

I haven't looked yet because DD will just be in Latin 2 next semester. Things can change year by year - can't really depend on one person being there the next few years. But I was hoping to hear positive stories from hivers around our area where the schools have precedent with homeschoolers. By the time she finishes up Latin 4, she won't be in high school yet. One of the reasons I really want to enroll her in a local high school is to avoid all this. Imagine trying to do this for more subjects. As far as Latin is concerned, I still have to find a spot in 3 years; otherwise, there will be too much of a break between Latin 4 and 9th grade. I'm not even going to bother with AP Spanish in 3-4 years. I'll just wait until DD is in a local school because every school offers AP Spanish.