Menu

Top 10 Favorite Board Books for TODDLERS...

TheAttachedMama

Can we talk about my favorite subject in the world........BOOKS!?

I'm listening to episode #19 of the Read Aloud Revival. (BEST podcast ever BTW.) 

This episode is on reading aloud to toddlers.    One of the ladies in the podcast mentions that toddlers really don't need a lot of variety in what you read to them.   In fact, sometimes fewer books are better.   They like repetition and knowing what to expect in a book.   She mentions only owning about 20 REALLY GOOD board books and reading them over and over again to her toddlers.

Going with that idea, if you had to pick your top 10 favorite board books for the toddler age...what would they be???

• Like 2

1. Bear snores on

2. Put me in the zoo from the big book of beginners book or something like that

3. A lot of Dr. Seuss' book

4. Press here

5. The strawberry, the little mouse and the big hungry bear

6. A Children's bible

7. In a People's House

Eta. I forgot brown bear brown bear and the rest. (Polar bear and panda bear)

Guest EagleCreek

Goodnight Moon

A Picnic with Monet

The Shape of Me and Other Stuff

Are You a Cow?

I am a Bunny

A is for Apple

One Snowy Day

Dear Zoo

That's Not My Teddy (or any of the Usborne books in that series)

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Brown bear, brown bear

Five little monkeys

Guess how much I love you

The very hungry caterpillar

But not the hippopotamus

The going to bed book

Mr brown can moo! Can you?

What's wrong little pookie

Hippos go berserk

I couldn't pick a tenth because then that's not picking the rest ;p

Basically anything Sandra Boynton and most Dr. Seuss

Going to Bed Book - I still have it memorized!

Dear Zoo

On the Night you were Born

I Love you Through and Through

any of the Lois Lenski - Mr Small books - Fireman Small, the Little Sailboat, Policeman Small, The Little Train - all great.

Sheep in a Jeep

Mr Brown can Moo Can You?

Brown Bear, Brown Bear

Pokey Little Puppy

Color Kittens

We Help Mommy - not board book but old golden book

oops, I went over.  better stop.

Oh, I should read to my little guys more.  Now that I have bigger kids, I'm not reading the board books nearly as often as I did with my oldest.  

I love the suggestions so far.  I'd add:

Everywhere Babies

Chicky Chicky Chook Chook

Tugga Tugga Tugboat  (one of my kids especially liked the rhythm in these two books - not sure if they're available as board books though)

Guess How Much I Love You?

Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

My First Winnie the Pooh

I Went Walking

A number of board books are actually shortened versions -- like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.    I just read those as regular books vs. having a board book version.    The board books were freely available to look at any time -- but plenty of regular books were available for reading times.

Here are the board books that got read many, many times here:

Goodnight Moon

The Big Red Farm

The Hungry Caterpillar

Goodnight Gorilla

Pajama Time by Boynton [corrected name per vonpermath] (don't care for most of hers - but loved the 'pajamma to the left pajamma to the right, jamma jamma jamma pj!' )

Some version of a 'touching' book - only criteria to have lots of textures (this was younger's favorite)

Some version of a lift the flap book -- we had several Maisy ones (Maisy is no longer popular I think - but very good for this age group IMO)

ETA: forgot The Carrot Seed and Owl Babies listed below by others  - they were many, many's too

Hippos Go Beserk

Are You a Cow? (you can have this on personalized!)

Brown Bear Brown Bear

That's not my Elephant

Peek a Who?

Peek a Zoo

Really, anything by Sandra Boynton. They have been the favorites, hands down. Just the right length to keep the kid's interest. 

Oh, and the I Spy books. 

Here's a link to a list of my girls' favorite board books: https://plantplantelectro.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/the-girls-favorite-board-books/

My son's favorites:

Dear Zoo

Duck & Goose (pretty much all of them)

I've weeded most of our board books, and I don't remember all of the others he liked. Some of them are repeats of the girls' favorites. He was more interested in lift-the-flap books.

Here's a link to a list of my girls' favorite board books: https://plantplantelectro.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/the-girls-favorite-board-books/

My son's favorites:

Dear Zoo

Duck & Goose (pretty much all of them)

I've weeded most of our board books, and I don't remember all of the others he liked. Some of them are repeats of the girls' favorites. He was more interested in lift-the-flap books.

Dear Zoo is a favorite of mine too.   I read that to my oldest son about a billion times when he was a toddler.

Some that may not have been mentioned...

The Napping House

Goodnight Gorilla (although this has more detail in a full-sized book)

"More, More, More," Said the Baby

Jamberry

The Owl and the Pussycat (illustrated by Jan Brett)

Owl Babies

Bear Snores On

Each Peach Pear Plum

Good Dog, Carl

Baby Beluga

and thank you, abacus2 for the reminder about "Pat the Bunny" - such good memories with this one!

A number of board books are actually shortened versions -- like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.    I just read those as regular books vs. having a board book version.    The board books were freely available to look at any time -- but plenty of regular books were available for reading times.

Here are the board books that got read many, many times here:

Goodnight Moon

The Big Red Farm

The Hungry Caterpillar

Goodnight Gorilla

The Going to Bed Book by Boynton (don't care for most of hers - but loved the 'pajamma to the left pajamma to the right, jamma jamma jamma pj!')

Some version of a 'touching' book - only criteria to have lots of textures (this was younger's favorite)

Some version of a lift the flap book -- we had several Maisy ones (Maisy is no longer popular I think - but very good for this age group IMO)

The book you quote from by Boynton is "Pajama Time" -- I don't think its in the Going to Bed book.

Top 10 board books

1. Sandra Boynton book (Lots of favorites here. Probably top favorite would be the one she sells on her website that you can put YOUR CHILD's name and picture in. Pajama Time is also a GREAT one)

2. Going on a Bear Hunt

3. Brown bear, Brown Bear

4. Dr. Seuss Mr. Brown can Moo Can You

5. Hungry Caterpillar

6. A First words type board book -- both of my kids loved pointing at the pictures and having me tell them what they were. Over and over and over again.

7. USborne's That's not my.... series

8. (I don't see this one mentioned often) It's my Birthday By Helen Oxenbury

9. Harry the Dirty Dog

10. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Sandra Boynton books (We love Doggies, But Not the Hippopotamus, and Azul el Sombrero, Verde el Sombrero best ;))

Go Dogs, Go

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

Brown Bear, Brown Bear

Very Hungry Caterpillar

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Five Little Monkeys

Goodnight Moon

Where's Spot?

Haven't heard the podcast, but I totally agree with the bit you shared! 

I totally agree that they don't necessarily need a lot of variety, it's the quality that counts!  Reading to my toddlers and preschoolers has always been a huge priority of mine and I credit my kids' love for reading to the large amount of time we spent with books when they were tiny.  My current toddler has several favorites, but I also try to read books that are slightly beyond his comprehension (such as Beatrix Potter) while he is the tub or eating a snack.  That way he happily listens :).  His favorites are: 

-The Very Busy Spider

-Where the Wild Things Are

-Busy, Busy Town

-The Carrot Seed

-The Big Red Barn

-Angus Lost

-Prayer for a Child (who would have thought?)

-My Blue Boat

-Runaway Bunny

-The Mitten

-The Little Red Hen

-Henny Penny