Menu

Outsourcing writing - what do you look for?

I've been pouring over old threads and all the options out there for outsourcing writing for my 10th grader.  A few options have the student send in a paper, receive feedback/grade, and the student moves on to the next paper.  I'm questioning this approach -- doesn't the student need to incorporate the suggested changes and re-submit the paper to be improving in his writing?  Or is that not really necessary, as he can extrapolate those suggestions to his next paper?  If you have used a course like this, did you feel it helped your DC improve their writing?

For those of you who have successfully outsourced writing, what do you feel makes a good program?  What are factors you felt were critical in helping your student improve in his writing?  (Number of papers, amount of feedback, anything else?)

Thanks in advance!

Guest ingentersed

I've been pouring over old threads and all the options out there for outsourcing writing for my 10th grader.  A few options have the student send in a paper, receive feedback/grade, and the student moves on to the next paper.  I'm questioning this approach -- doesn't the student need to incorporate the suggested changes and re-submit the paper to be improving in his writing?  Or is that not really necessary, as he can extrapolate those suggestions to his next paper?  If you have used a course like this, did you feel it helped your DC improve their writing?

For those of you who have successfully outsourced writing, what do you feel makes a good program?  What are factors you felt were critical in helping your student improve in his writing?  (Number of papers, amount of feedback, anything else?)

Thanks in advance!

Great

I believe the suggestions need to be changed in the current paper. It is very tedious to continue to edit a paper over and over. It requires a tenacity and I believe that is important. Also, writing can be very subjective and sometimes an editing suggestion can be interpreted in ways that are different from the intention. The only way to fully understand the changes that need to be made is to do it and resubmit it. 

I have outsourced writing twice. Once with Bravewriter with a very reluctant writer. The teacher was encouraging and my daughter liked it but it never pushed her out of her comfort zone. Now we are using Intro to Rhetoric with WTMA. I love this format, mostly because the kids share their writing with the class and "workshop" their papers. So my kid can see lots of examples of writing by other people. This has been very helpful to her. It is also helpful that she helps critique others papers because she has began looking at her own papers with a more critical eye. 

For me, structure and rigor is important. Teacher feedback is also very necessary  as is interaction with other students.