Menu

What is the typical math progression? (and AoPS question)

I'm trying to figure out what kids do after algebra 1. I understand on average kids will be in pre-algebra in 7th and then algebra in 8th but what do they do in 9th and 10th? I'm guessing Geometry is one. Is algebra 2 the other? My daughter is going into 5th so we still have a while before we need to worry about this but we are looking into dual credit classes and want to be prepared . From what I understand at 16 we can take the placement test and if she places she can do the dual credit but I've been told the college class you are testing to get into is Algebra 2. I was thinking we would do Pre-Algebra and Algebra with AoPS but what is Introduction to Counting and Probability and Introduction to Number Theory? I'm guessing Intermediate Algebra is the same as Algebra 2?

The high school math sequence in the US is Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2 (often with Trigonometry), PreCalculus, Calculus AB, Calculus BC. Yes, Geometry is often done in 9th and Algebra 2 is often done in 10th, but this varies quite a bit.

AOPS adds some discrete math topics that are not covered in the typical math sequence - that is what the Counting & Probability, and Number Theory books are. They are extra topics that many math hungry students enjoy, but they are not covered in the traditional high school math sequence. AOPS Algebra books are not aligned with the "typical" Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 courses. Their Intro Algebra book covers many topics typically covered in Algebra 2. Their Intermediate Algebra covers the rest of the typical Algebra 2 material, plus more advanced algebra concepts.

What is your 5th grader working on now?

We are working through MM 4. She's not in 5th yet she starts in Aug. I know its way early to think about all of this but I'm a planner and I want to have a general idea of where we are going with our school realizing it will probably change. She really likes the idea of dual credits but I feel she's pretty young to really know what she will want to do in high school. I just wanted to see if it would even be a possibility if we stay with the typical sequence. I told her if she really wants to she can work through summer to get ahead in math and maybe start Pre-Algebra early. I've only talked to a few moms that have done the dual credits but the all of them said the math placement test was what their kids had a hard time with.

I am going to piggyback on this thread.  I was just about to post a similar question....but I need a plan a little sooner.

I have a 6th grader that is finishing up SM 6B.  My plan is to test her for AoPS then decide from there whether to start with algebra or pre-algebra for 7th grade.  I suspect it will be algebra since many pre-algebra topics are covered in SM 5 and 6.

So, I have the same question.  What sequence makes sense?  

At this stage it is too early for me to tell if dd is heading for a STEM-y career.  She is naturally good at math but it is not her favorite subject.  I know that can change.  I hated math until high school and I ended up pursuing a very STEM-y career and learned to really love math.  So I want to keep the options open.  I want to prepare her for a STEM-y path but I don't want to push too much math since it is not her love at the moment.  Can you just skip the counting & probability and number theory books and still take the traditional college-bound math path sequence with AoPS or are the topics covered in those books needed for the upper-level books?  How hard is it to go back and pick those up should math become a bigger focus for a child later in the sequence?

I am sure once we get started, it will make more sense, but just checking out the website, I feel unsure.  It seems like way too many subjects to tackle in 6 years.  Is it better to go "further" or "broader" with math?  

The C&P and NT texts are just extra.  Think of them as electives.

I would plan on a standard sequence (with whatever texts) and then only add in those extra books depending on your student's interest.  They might be a good summer project, for example - I think they're each about a semester.  There are chapters on NT and C&P in the Prealgebra text that may whet your student's appetite for either one or both.

Be aware that AoPS Intro to Alg is a long book and the topic coverage is broken up a little differently than more standard texts.  My understanding is that traditional "algebra 2" topics are covered partly in Intro to Alg and partly in Intermediate Alg.  The on-line "algebra 2" class covers only the ones in Intro to Alg and the on-line "algebra 3" class covers the rest.

Some threads (there are more):

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/532692-art-of-problem-solving-sequence-how-to-fit-it-all-in-6-years/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/522210-sequence-for-aops/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/360449-aops-sequence-alg-3/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/425387-art-of-problem-solving-sequence/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/469175-aops-sequence-through-high-school/

The C&P and NT texts are just extra.  Think of them as electives.

I would plan on a standard sequence (with whatever texts) and then only add in those extra books depending on your student's interest.  They might be a good summer project, for example - I think they're each about a semester.  There are chapters on NT and C&P in the Prealgebra text that may whet your student's appetite for either one or both.

Be aware that AoPS Intro to Alg is a long book and the topic coverage is broken up a little differently than more standard texts.  My understanding is that traditional "algebra 2" topics are covered partly in Intro to Alg and partly in Intermediate Alg.  The on-line "algebra 2" class covers only the ones in Intro to Alg and the on-line "algebra 3" class covers the rest.

Some threads (there are more):

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/532692-art-of-problem-solving-sequence-how-to-fit-it-all-in-6-years/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/522210-sequence-for-aops/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/360449-aops-sequence-alg-3/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/425387-art-of-problem-solving-sequence/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/469175-aops-sequence-through-high-school/

This is great!  Thanks!  I am afraid it created more questions along with answering some.  But I do not need to have the whole plan to get started.  It is very good to know that Intro to Algebra is actually more involved than a typical 9th grade algebra class.  I will be mindful of that.  My original plan was to start with that (unless dd tests that pre-algebra is a better fit) but just take it super-slow and flexible leaving room for it to take up 7th AND 8th grade.  We could add the other classes if she needs a break or to fill out the remainder of 8th grade should she finish up earlier than I think she will.  We have a lot of flexibility because we do not plan to use the online classes.  I am comfortable teaching math all the way through should it be necessary...but with my not-so-sure-about-math kid, being able to take off days or weeks is really important....for now anyway.

Skimomma,

I'll start the intro to algebra book slowly after SM6B. Once she is used to the style, she can pick up speed for the rest of the book.

The NT and C&P are nice extras.

That is my plan.  I know the style is going to take some time to get used to.  I think I'll have a much better idea of what path to take once she gets her groove (or doesn't).  I know AoPS is not a good fit for every kid and I am not 100% sure about dd. I also have to worry about aligning it to potential future public school attendance.  We plan to homeschool all the way through but I cannot 100% rule out the possibility that dd will want to go to high school.  That makes planning just a  little bit more difficult because the sequence is different than regular high school classes.

Skimomma,

If going to high school is a possibility, finish algebra 1 and geometry at 7th and 8th grade. Entering high school at algebra 2 after finishing intro to algebra book would be okay.

I had to match the aops books to state standards as my boys were with a public charter.

We are in a public charter also. We are required to take the state test and encouraged to teach to the common core standards but what we teach is essentially up to us. In high school you do have to teach the common core standards so we will probably un-enroll at that point. I'm always torn though because even though I plan on homeschooling all the way through high school if something changed and I had to enroll my kids in school I would want them to be able to enroll without any problems. What I always come back to is that I believe the classical model gives a much higher quality education than the common core standards do. 

It remains to be seen, in the next few years, what will happen with Common Core.  Be aware that some public high schools follow the integrated track rather than the traditional sequence and I don't have any idea how they place accelerated students.  At the time your student is ready to start algebra 1, if B&M school is a possibility, you might check with the high school to see how the math track is organized (if it isn't on the website, a quick email to a math teacher may help) and how placement is determined.  Also, FWIW, in many/most parts of the country, algebra 1 is average for 9th grade, not 8th, especially since Common Core kicked a few traditional algebra 1 topics down to 8th.

("Public charter" is a little ambiguous, as around here that would be a B&M school, but I'm guessing you mean that you're homeschooling under a charter school.)

Public charter high school here could be B&M or online. Just to clarify, older had to do the common core state tests (trial run for California) for his grade level as well as mid-terms and end of year exams for the accelerated math he took.

My local district is still offering algebra 1 at 7th after switching to common core. It's advisable to ask at beginning of 8th grade at your school district office as placement tests might be in Spring for high school class placement.

Keep the transcripts for algebra 1 and geometry if you outsource. If you didn't outsource, your child might have to test out depending on school district policy.