Menu

Jurgensen geometry at home with no online class?

We are doing Jacobs algebra now. I am not impressed with the geometry when I look at the first and third edition of Jacobs.

I borrowed open library Jurgensen geometry and it is more direct, less wordy, and I like it much more.

I wonder if some people teach it themselves without signing up online class like WHA. I would like to teach it myself. I enjoy being involved in math teaching.

I think you could do it. I'm planning on using the Duke TIP materials to help teach it because I have so many other kids that need my one-on-one time. DD#1 started loving math when I was no longer her direct teacher, so I don't want to ruin her love of math by jumping back in as the main teacher.  :huh:

It seems like such a great text.

• Like 2

http://tip.duke.edu/node/159

I just bought the used book to look through it and see if I would prefer to teach on my own, get some help with Duke TIP, or go with WHA. I'm not even sure I want to begin geometry in 9/2015.

It is so much cheaper than WHA! But of course this is not live class, but I think it will work. I do not think ds12 will be ready this fall. We only finished 9 chapters of Jacobs algebra and he is not mathy and I plan to use part of Foerster algebra after we are done with Jacobs, so it will be the beginning of next calendar year that we can start geometry.

There are a couple of posters on here who are using the Duke TIP materials right now. I PM'd one with lots of questions and she was really helpful. I have the book (and the solutions manual) and just ordered my TIP stuff today. I can let you know how it goes. We won't be starting it until this fall. (I think some of the other threads about it are on the high school board.)

• Like 3

There are a couple of posters on here who are using the Duke TIP materials right now. I PM'd one with lots of questions and she was really helpful. I have the book (and the solutions manual) and just ordered my TIP stuff today. I can let you know how it goes. We won't be starting it until this fall. (I think some of the other threads about it are on the high school board.)

i

I am very excited about this affordable option! Do let me know how it goes in the fall. Thanks, RootAnn!

I, too will be glued to this thread, Please RootAnn tell us what you think and your kiddo thinks of Duke Tip, one person posted the video bored her son to death. I like DO videos and Chalkdust and MWB videos.  I have never seen the Duke Tip one, I can't wait to see if ya'll like it because the price is awesome!!!!!!

I have yet to buy any text, manuals, etc.

Where do you get the solutions manual for the Jurgensen text? What year was your text copyrighted? I have an older edition; I have answers but occasionally need solutions on the really hard problems.

That's exactly what I've been wondering for the last few days. I went with a 2000 copyright textbook since that's what WHA uses. Based on some previous threads, I think the 1994 copyright solution manual will fit. Seton sells it cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. http://www.setonbooks.com/viewone.php?ToView=P-MA10-22

Also based on other posters here, Seton uses the 2000 textbook. Unfortunately Seton does not provide ISBNs on either book. I would have just bought both from Seton had I known last week, but I'm now waiting for the textbook to arrive just to make sure the right one was sent.

Maybe Derek or Yvonne will jump in soon.

My text is the 2004 "impression" and copyright 2000. ISBN 0-395-97727-4

My solution key is also a 2004 "impression," but copyright 1994. ISBN 0-395-67766-1 (9780395677667)

Seton's solutions's manual has the exact same front as mine, as does their text, FWIW. I used camelcamelcamel to keep an eye on the solution's guide price (3rd party, used) and snatched it for about what Seton's would have cost. If you want to keep an eye out, use a price-watcher. If you can't wait, try Setonbooks.com.

... And, on Duke TIP, just remember we won't be starting until the fall. If you need a sooner update, I should have my materials next week & can take a look at them. I won't be able to give you a hands-on update until she actually uses it. So, best to ask someone already using it. (If you are really good at the search function, you can find a few people who have used either just the Jurgensen text (by themselves, with a tutor) or the Duke TIP stuff with it. And you can try PM'ing the people directly. :-)

• Like 4

Hi guys,

The fact that the Solution Key (ISBN-13: 9780395677667) has an older 1994 publish date really threw me off.  I researched the heck out of this last year before starting Jurgensen Geometry.  In the end it turned out that the older manual matched without any problem with the newer 2000 text (ISBN-13: 9780395977279).

One thing I must warn about is that after all that work I was a little underwhelmed upon receiving the Solution Key.  It is a small paperback book with answers including some 'basic' steps.  But it is nothing like the Solutions Manual we had for AoPS the previous year which contained more detail.  My son still uses it everyday to check his homework.  So he thinks its and important part of the course.  It is just minimalistic and as such does not really 'teach' anything.

I commend those who can teach this themselves with only the books.  I sure know I couldn't.  Jurgensen is an excellent Geometry text, one of the best, IMO.  But it was designed to be accompanied with some kind of classroom instruction and elaboration of the key concepts within it.  It does not contain all of that concept development within the workbook itself like AoPS does, for example.  Maybe that is where something like TIP could come in and provide the additional material to help.  I know for us WHA does a wonderful job of filling in those gaps in addition to fielding all the tough questions regarding some of the more challenging concepts.

• Like 4

Derek, since you are here, may I ask what is the workload per week (not including class) with WHA? I've searched the forum and I know you must have mentioned it, but I can't find it at the moment. Given your opinion of the solution manual and what I am used to with an AOPS solution manual, I think I really need someone else going over the entire book. Oh, and that's the other question: does WHA use the entire book, end to end? I don't think this is stated in its description.

And, I think you mentioned that your DS finished AOPS algebra chapters 1-13 and then proceeded with Jurgensen, correct? I'm going through so many past threads, my brain is getting wonky and I may be mixing up people here. It's crazy that I need to figure out our online classes ASAP and it's not even March.

Oh, one more thing, $600 is so much to pay all at once. $180 is better with the payment plan, but I'm thinking that route probably ends up more than $600 at the end.

Hi Crazyforlatin,

I just asked my son and he said 1-2 hour per day depending on what he's working on.  Difficulty level varies like most math courses including more challenging word problems and proofs in the case of Geometry.  I would have also guessed ~ 1.5 hours average.

WHA uses the entire book as far as I can tell.  They are in chapter 11 or 14 at this stage.

Yes, ds13 went through AoPS Algebra 1-13.  We then reviewed Algebraic principles with TabletClass Algebra 1 over the Summer because he felt he needed more practice in the fundamentals.  I'm not sure all students need this.  But for us it worked well to review.  Then we followed with Jurgensen at WHA.

There are so many additional educational aspects which a WHA class provides beyond the texts alone I've decided to outsource all future math courses.  It has been that good of an experience for us.  The added dimension of classroom interaction with teacher and students has been really great.  DS is thriving in this environment.  He really enjoys it.

I don't think they charge extra to break things up into smaller payments.  But you could always ask.

• Like 2

Thank you, Derek, this is very useful information as I need to make sure I don't enroll DD in too many online classes.

The problem for us is that DD will be in 5th grade, she probably will be going to PS high school, and all the local schools from Silicon Valley to SF require placement tests for outsiders. I don't know if they will honor WHA's transcript (let alone AOPS's), and if not, then she will have a gap of about 2 years. Tentatively my plan for Dd is to enter 9th grade and either take geometry honors or algebra 2 (anything beyond seems disadvantageous to her) but I want to move forward. Yet, I'm worried if we're too far ahead, she will fail the placement test. Anyway, sorry OP, this is quite a tangent.

• Like 1

Thank you, Derek, this is very useful information as I need to make sure I don't enroll DD in too many online classes.

The problem for us is that DD will be in 5th grade, she probably will be going to PS high school, and all the local schools from Silicon Valley to SF require placement tests for outsiders. I don't know if they will honor WHA's transcript (let alone AOPS's), and if not, then she will have a gap of about 2 years. Tentatively my plan for Dd is to enter 9th grade and either take geometry honors or algebra 2 (anything beyond seems disadvantageous to her) but I want to move forward. Yet, I'm worried if we're too far ahead, she will fail the placement test. Anyway, sorry OP, this is quite a tangent.

Wow, she is way ahead and sounds very bright!  Have you thought about possibly stretching out Algebra with review along with something else?  Perhaps some fun Geometry first like Patty Paper Geometry would be interesting for her?  Two years of Algebra is not really a bad thing, especially for such a young student.

However, if she is really ready to move ahead I don't think it's good to hold a student back just because of age alone.  If she gets way ahead, which she already is, you could always have a year of review in 8th grade prior to entering public high school.  The other thing she could do would be to take an AP math class in 8th grade. If she passes the test that not only validates her subject matter knowledge it locks in her credit for the course.  But do you really want her to move through math that far by 8th grade?  

I'm a little concerned about holding her back developmentally just to fit into the public high school's slower math track (in her case).  Could she still attend the school but supplement math with outside courses like dual enrollment college courses?  I know some public high school students do that.  

• Like 1

Thank you, Derek, for discussing some possibilities for DD. I have Patty Paper, bought everything to go with it, and only used a few pages of it. I think I might spend another year with Intro to Algebra, finish up Intro to Number Theory and Counting and use Patty Paper. Maybe WHA Geometry for next year. It seems kind of intense. I've read enough of what you and Yvonne wrote about the need for proofs (and that's one reason I would go with Jurgensen) that I think it might be just too much for 5th. Maybe I can get more value for my money if I delayed it another year.

• Like 1

Thank you, Derek, for discussing some possibilities for DD. I have Patty Paper, bought everything to go with it, and only used a few pages of it. I think I might spend another year with Intro to Algebra, finish up Intro to Number Theory and Counting and use Patty Paper. Maybe WHA Geometry for next year. It seems kind of intense. I've read enough of what you and Yvonne wrote about the need for proofs (and that's one reason I would go with Jurgensen) that I think it might be just too much for 5th. Maybe I can get more value for my money if I delayed it another year.

I think this a good, well balanced plan.  WHA, or a class like it, will be a great experience for her in the right time.  But I think your instinct is correct.  Next year may be best spent doing other additional things at home such as those you've mentioned.  Having a solid Algebra base will serve her well throughout her entire education, including when it comes time for testing.  You could always move into the later chapters of AoPS or contrast what she's done so far with another great text like Foerster, really solidifying those concepts.  Work on more word problems, for example.  Then let her have a little fun with Patty Paper, etc...     

• Like 1

Derek, you have convinced me of the merits of WHA geometry. Ds12 has done a little over half of Jacobs algebra. I would like him to do Foerster algebra 1 after Jacobs so that his algebra is solid before moving on to geometry. If we do WHA, it will be fall of 2016. He will be close to 14. My other option will be to do Foerster in half a school year and use Duke Tip, which allows me to start any time when we finish algebra 1. What do you think? In any case, I don't think he is ready to move on from algebra 1 in the fall. Or do you think WHA geometry will review algebra enough that he will be fine? He will finish Jacobs Algebra 1 by the end of June. What is a good way to solidify algebra 1 if we don't take a whole school year to do another algebra 1?

For science, he is doing Apologia General Science totally independently. He is laboring through WWS 2 with challenge. At his age, I do want him to have an outside accountability, learn study skills, meet expectations and deadlines. An outsourced Apologia Physical Science class will be in place for this fall.

Thanks, Derek, for your ongoing encouragement and wisdom. We all appreciate you very much!

• Like 1

Hi JadeOrchidSong,

It's sounds like you have thought through several good options for your son.  I typically recommend more than one pass through Algebra 1 since it is so foundational to all other math which follows.  However two passes can look different for different students including the amount of time spent.  The second pass could be spent mainly reviewing over areas that were somewhat fuzzy or difficult the first time through. 

There are many good books and other materials which could be used for a second pass.  We own Foerster and Dolciani.  However we chose TabletClass because that is what ds13 started with before AoPS.  He really likes the short lessons explaining the concepts and associated problems that follow.  I like how efficient TC is at getting right to the point.  In addition there are tests for each section which I used to evaluate his strengths/weakness to help determine where more work needed to be done.  We did TC over the Summer skipping areas I felt he knew solidly enough after testing.  We didn't quite finish everything I thought we could have.  But he had reviewed enough Algebra that I thought he was well prepared to move into Geometry at that point.  For him to spend another 'full' school year in Algebra 1 probably would have been overkill after AoPS.  Yet I think this varies per student depending on how well Algebra went the first time through and how much was retained.  I may go longer with my daughters if they struggle more with Algebraic concepts the first time through, for example.

I'm not sure in your son's case since it does vary per child.  I think you will best judge of that depending on how well Algebra is going this first pass through.  I also recommend taking a look at the Jurgensen text if you can.  I wouldn't say there is a lot of Algebra 'review' as much as that Algebra is integrated well into the course.  One of the nice things with WHA is the teacher availability if the students ever run into to problems they don't understand or need help on.  They spend the first 30 minutes of each class going over questions related to their homework.  I think this really helps a lot.

I can't comment on TIP since we haven't used it.  I've only looked at some of the comments of others who have.  WHA is a great option.  It's really a full math program with all the support needed which has exceeded our expectations.  So I obviously can recommend it.  But that doesn't mean there are not other good options available.  Its just nice to know we found something that really works well for us and therefore don't have to be concerned about math anymore.  Let me tell you, that feels like a big weight being lifted off your shoulders when it happens.  Its one less 'important' thing to have to plan for during the very busy high school years which are quickly approaching.

• Like 2

The actual Jurgensen text has several small sections of "Algebra Review" and a chapter called "Geometry and Algebra" that starts out with some of the same algebra work my dd#1 is doing right now in her Algebra book. (It builds onto it quickly, of course.) I liked that there was so much algebra review built in. 

I think WHA should give a kick-back to Derek for his great job selling the merits of their math classes. I think their Geometry sections are already full for this fall, are they not? Do they have a, "I was referred by Derek" option on the registration page?  :lol:

• Like 4

Derek,

Do you think an average math student can keep up with WHA geometry? Ds12 will enroll in Apologia Physical Science outside home. I wonder if it is too much if he takes both online geometry and science in a real classroom.

Derek, thaĂƒÂ¯s is not math related, but I would like to ask how your ds13 does CSI Science and WWS. Do you teach these or does he do independently? Is geometry your only outsourced online class? Are you reserving foreign language for high school? Speaking of all those, I need to update my signature. It is still summer break down there. :-)

Derek,

Do you think an average math student can keep up with WHA geometry? Ds12 will enroll in Apologia Physical Science outside home. I wonder if it is too much if he takes both online geometry and science in a real classroom.

Derek, thaĂƒÂ¯s is not math related, but I would like to ask how your ds13 does CSI Science and WWS. Do you teach these or does he do independently? Is geometry your only outsourced online class? Are you reserving foreign language for high school? Speaking of all those, I need to update my signature. It is still summer break down there. :-)

I would say the Jurgensen text itself is a meaty Geometry book, one which many prep schools use because of its great coverage of proofs, among other topics.

That said, I think the average math student can keep up given all the support which is available through WHA.  However, I base my perspective on my son's experience who is generally good at math.  Throughout the course he's come upon some tough problems in the book.  But it was nothing he couldn't handle with help from the teacher when needed.  His average is in the upper 90s whereas with AoPS it was not as high.  Though AoPS is not designed to get 100% even if the student is bright.  If you have an average math student I think he could keep up.  You just have to keep in mind it is a solid college prep style math course requiring adequate time and effort daily.    

CSI Science was a new thing for us.  I was looking for a high quality Life Science that was not as heavily weighted toward YEC like Apologia which we also use.  It has been a very good text overall and one which ds13 does really likes.  He is mostly independent with that course.  

WWS, I believe, takes more of my wife's time reviewing over his writing, making corrections and recommendations for improvement.  I think it is designed to be a bit more interactive with the teacher in that way.  Next year we are considering Lost Tools of Writing which will also require more of her time than his other subjects.  

We are waiting for high school to do foreign language, possibly dual enrollment.

• Like 2

Some quick comments now that I've received the Duke TIP stuff & had a chance to look some of it over.

It comes with two DVDs that contain the instruction for most chapters (all but Ch 10 & 14), interactive features, and the interactive quizzes for almost all the chapters (except for Ch 10 & 14 again). It comes with two spiral bound books - a student syllabus and an instructor book. The student syllabus has a lot of verbage at the front about how to use the program/DVDs/etc. The actual syllabus has a section-by-section guide to the book including some key teaching points, answers to any even questions assigned by them, and all assignments contained in the program. The instructor book has proof quizzes for all chapters except for the first one, a written quiz for Ch 10/14 (combined), unit tests, and a final exam. It suggests how they would calculate a grade for the course.

I've already started putting together a schedule based on their syllabus, adding the Algebra reviews (which are usually not scheduled in the syllabus), chapter reviews, and occasional cumulative reviews or extra activities in the text.

There are just over 120 lessons including the introductory lessons on DVD, quizzes, tests, and each section's reading & problem sets.

Because they include answers to all the even questions they assign, I'm not sure you need the "solutions manual." But, your mileage may vary.

There are definitely plenty of proofs as part of the homework. I don't plan to "grade" her homework, but someone should be familiar with proofs to help in case the student's answers aren't the same as the ones in the back of the book. Also, you have to grade the proofs that are part of the tests for each chapter (if you choose to include that as part of the grade for the course). So, if no one in your household is confident in their ability to grade proofs, this might not be the option for you. (Or, alternatively, you could choose to skip that part, but part of what is great about Jurgensen's is that it is "proof heavy" and thus integral to the learning experience. I believe having the professor able/willing to grade all the proofs is what made WHA initially so compelling to Derek.) 

That's about all I'll be able to say until dd#1 starts using the program. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

• Like 5

Wow RootAnn,

Thanks for the detailed information.  I've always wondered what came with the TIP program as it seemed a little vague in their description online.

Regarding the Solutions Manual, though somewhat skimpy, ds13 said he does like seeing the basic steps vs. just the answers.  He uses it daily to check his homework. And he is doing really well in the course but still has questions which is a normal part of learning, IMO.

With regards to proofs, yes, I could not see using this book and 'not' teaching proofs.  It's so integral to the course and Jurgensen's style of writing on the topic.  

Where WHA really comes in is the way the instructor trains the students to write poofs and to do so effectively and efficiently.  As we know there are many ways to write proofs similar to the many ways one can write an essay.  The instructor guides students in form, technique, logical flow and efficient style.  The grading is just one part of that training.  Sometimes she gives partial credit with detailed explanations and examples in how to improve one's overall approach.  This is her forte.  These are also the parts there is no way I could have done or even faked.  Its just been too long since I've written Geometric proofs and didn't really have the time to relearn them.  

RootAnn,

Thank you very much for your detailed update. Would you mind sharing your schedule when you are done with it?

Derek,

You have a strong case for using WHA. I am considering a science class (not online), and some online writing class. Adding online math would be a lot. However, writing and math are very high on my priority. I might skip the science and let ds do writing and math both online.

I appreciate all insights. This is a great thread (not bragging).

• Like 1

I don't feel comfortable sharing the schedule just because most of it is based off the Duke TIP schedule -- with add-ons. In some cases, I've assigned additional problems in certain sections. I've added in every algebra review in the book, most of the chapter reviews, and some cumulative reviews. She'll end up with somewhere between 145-150 lessons instead of Duke TIP's 120.

I should add that the Duke TIP syllabus tends to assign mostly "A" (regular, easy) questions at the beginning and then start to mix in some "B" (intermediate/require some thought or work) problems as you go. I'm not sure, but I don't remember many "C" (challenging) problems being assigned. I have already started to add in some B level problems from the beginning because I like how they build the thinking level up and because I think my dd can handle them. I haven't added any "C" problems yet, but I'm not done. :-) I have found that the further along in the book you are, the more B level questions (and the more questions as a whole) that the TIP syllabus asks the student to do. I think they set it up this way on purpose -- not to scare kids off & to gradually build up their skills.

Derek - I'd be interested if you could share the mix of A/B/C questions WHA asks your son to do, if you've seen a shift as the year has gone on, or if they always ask that you do all the problems for a section?? If you click on the sample I linked (below), you will see that the TIP syllabus doesn't require a ton of problems for each section. Does WHA cover the "Classroom Exercises" in class?

If you want to see a sample of the syllabus, here is a link (which I found on the huge high school math thread, actuallly). You can see the "teaching helps" included so you can see if you think they'd be enough for your kid. (We'll be fine since DH & I both will be able to help if questions come up. I just don't have the time to teach every chapter with all my others.) 

• Like 2

Derek - I'd be interested if you could share the mix of A/B/C questions WHA asks your son to do, if you've seen a shift as the year has gone on, or if they always ask that you do all the problems for a section?? If you click on the sample I linked (below), you will see that the TIP syllabus doesn't require a ton of problems for each section. Does WHA cover the "Classroom Exercises" in class?

I'll have to check with my son later since I'm at work.  I know he has been doing all three levels (A/B/C) from the beginning through WHA.  I'm just not sure of the mix or if that has changed over the year.

I just asked my son about the mixture of Jurgensen problem types given by WHA.  According to him there are some from each section for each homework assignment he gets.  The amount of A vs. B vs. C varies with the majority coming from A and B then a few from C.  He said there are actually four levels of difficulty when one considers the *C problems.  Those are the hardest which he has also done, but not as frequently as any of the others.  In terms of change throughout the year he said it has been pretty steady following this same distribution pattern with slight variability depending on the topic.

HTH,

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm so late to this party! I just started researching options in earnest a few weeks ago. The WHA class seems like a perfect fit for us. I guess we will try to get on a waiting list! I'm not sure we are confident enough to use Jurgensen text with just the Duke TIP materials (which is a shame because they are so affordable!). I'm just not confident at all in geometry due to a horrible text/teacher combo in 9th grade, although I somehow went on to succeed in AP Calculus later in HS! My DH isn't strong in Geometry either, despite having all sorts of computer science and business creds. However, my DD looooves geometry so I'm praying her enthusiasm won't be dampened if we can't do WHA. I really think if we can't do it, I'll have to go with Derek Owens - unless anyone has other thoughts?

ETA It seems we were able to register - hopefully I won't get a wait-list email! ;) Anyone know how it works if the class is already full (ie do they let you register and automatically wait-list you or somehow let you know)?

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm so late to this party! I just started researching options in earnest a few weeks ago. The WHA class seems like a perfect fit for us. I guess we will try to get on a waiting list! I'm not sure we are confident enough to use Jurgensen text with just the Duke TIP materials (which is a shame because they are so affordable!). I'm just not confident at all in geometry due to a horrible text/teacher combo in 9th grade, although I somehow went on to succeed in AP Calculus later in HS! My DH isn't strong in Geometry either, despite having all sorts of computer science and business creds. However, my DD looooves geometry so I'm praying her enthusiasm won't be dampened if we can't do WHA. I really think if we can't do it, I'll have to go with Derek Owens - unless anyone has other thoughts?

ETA It seems we were able to register - hopefully I won't get a wait-list email! ;) Anyone know how it works if the class is already full (ie do they let you register and automatically wait-list you or somehow let you know)?

Hi KellyMama,

I hope you can get in!  I'm not sure how the waiting list goes or if they consider opening up a second (or third) section.  Last year there were two times available for ds13.  WHA's growth in popularity is a double edged sword for those trying to get into to a particular class.  They really fill up quick.  My son's Algebra 2 course for the Fall with Anne Stublen filled up within the first few weeks.  I registered the first day enrollment opened for continuing students (Feb 1) because there was only one good time for us.

My other two options last year if I couldn't get into WHA were Derek Owens and Jann in TX.  Neither of which I liked as much for various reasons.  Although DO courses are normally highly rated I found some recent reports of problems with his Geometry class specifically.  I know Jann puts less emphasis on proofs and she doesn't grade them either.  I'm not sure if DO grades homework proofs.  If you are considering DO Geometry I recommend looking up some threads discussing it within the last two years or so.  Here is one: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540600-wilson-hill-vs-derek-owens-geometry-and-physics-vs-duke-tip-geometry/?hl=%2Bderek+%2Bowens+%2Bgeometry

A new option which VANURSEPRAC brought to my attention on the High School board  is Math in a Box with Susan O Johnsey.  The classes are very affordable.  She uses Jurgensen and also grades the proofs 'I think.'  Her website is a bit dated and a little difficult to navigate.  But I did find some sample lessons here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufgtqqy_2LE&list=PL2DF37926E8DA97EA&index=1

No one on forum has taken her classes that I'm aware of.  Some looking it over did not care for her presentation style.  I don't know. To me they are not 'that' bad.  I've definitely heard worse.  They may be worth checking out if WHA doesn't pan out.

• Like 2