Menu

Homeschool High School Math

Flipped Math Classroom: http://www.flippedmath.com/

Full courses for Algebra 1- Calculus AB

Note taking packets with homework, addition "corrective" assignments and test and quiz "study sheets" with solutions that could be used as tests. Videos are download-able as MP4s if you don't have consistent internet access or don't want your students on the site with the answers.

Could someone look at and comment on the rigor? Glancing at Algebra 1, it looks solid to me. Possibly could use some additional practice problems from a textbook.

• Like 1

Since Duke TIP took down their Jurgensen geometry materials, it would be good to note that Memoria Press put together some lesson plans and, apparently, a final, according to this post.

Also, I believe Homeschool Connections has both live & recorded geometry classes using Jurgensen.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 3

Flipped Math Classroom: http://www.flippedmath.com/

Full courses for Algebra 1- Calculus AB

Note taking packets with homework, addition "corrective" assignments and test and quiz "study sheets" with solutions that could be used as tests. Videos are download-able as MP4s if you don't have consistent internet access or don't want your students on the site with the answers.

Could someone look at and comment on the rigor? Glancing at Algebra 1, it looks solid to me. Possibly could use some additional practice problems from a textbook.

I took a quick look - rigor seems pretty good but it would be nice to move to the topics covered in Common-Core (not the teaching methodology) Algebra 1, Geo and Alg 2.   Flipped seems to be based on the older 2009 DoDEA standards which are now migrating to Common-Core.

I took a quick look - rigor seems pretty good but it would be nice to move to the topics covered in Common-Core (not the teaching methodology) Algebra 1, Geo and Alg 2.   Flipped seems to be based on the older 2009 DoDEA standards which are now migrating to Common-Core.

Not really having much on functions, probability and statistics seem to be the main difference in the Algebra courses?

There is a short unit on probability in geometry, but there doesn't seem to be coordinate geometry, so that would need to be covered elsewhere if someone wanted to line up with common core (or use a cc textbook alongside it).

Regardless of someones thoughts on CC, I can see wanting to add some probability and statistics before precalc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I  am interested in math curriculum. Math curriculum subjects are  algebra involves finding patterns, balancing equations, and using graphs, lines, and arithmetic and it. I get more information from this post about the maths subject.

Have you tried starting your own thread with specific questions?  You might get more responses than just a quick post in this rather long thread.  I don't have any good suggestions or I would try to help you.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I haven't read through this whole thread, but has anyone recommended Mr. D. Math?  He offers high school math from Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calc w/Trig. In addition, he has classes in:

I just enrolled my DD in the self-paced class for Algebra I.  She's had a very rocky road with CLE Algebra in 8th, even with taking it slow, and is extremely frustrated and math phobic at this point. At first I was going to finish CLE during the first few months of this fall and proceed with Geometry.  After her last quiz, I've decided to have her repeat Algebra completely.  I want to make sure she has a firm foundation before going into Geometry and higher maths.

At first I was happy with CLE, but the TM skipped several steps in the equations, and I actually found several errors in answers. Instead of repeating CLE, I went on the exhausting search for something with online instruction, but self-paced and gentle.  Whatever program we chose needed to help DD build up her confidence with math. I narrowed it down to either TT or Mr. D.  After researching a great deal, I found several negatives for TT, but absolutely no negatives for Mr. D.  Today I had DD watch several of the sample videos. While she wasn't thrilled with having to do Algebra again, she told me she thinks Mr. D explains things better and she was willing to give it a go.

Anyway, if this math course hasn't been mentioned, I just thought it may need to be added to the master list. Thanks!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Free textbooks in many subjects, including math: https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/

Most have reviews. 

It includes pre-algebra, elementary algebra, elementary geometry, intermediate algebra, college algebra, precalculus, calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, finite mathematics, elementary statistics, math for liberal arts, differential equations, introduction to proofs, abstract algebra (one or two semesters), number theory, probability, combinatorics, college geometry (Euclidean plane one, the other one is HS), real analysis (one or two semesters), data structures and algorithms, linear regression/programming

I will draw specific attention to: 

Math in Society, a Math for Liberal Arts class that would be an excellent 4th credit for a struggling or uninterested student, and do equally well for supplemental material for a bright younger student. 

Open Logic Project, rigorous but non-mathematical, aimed at students in the humanities. 

Advanced Problems in Mathematics, which looks like a collection of challenging problems that would be a fine supplement for any student eager for more. Intended to be for those taking examinations at Cambridge, so some problems may rely on A level material, which includes calculus. 

Algebra and Trigonometry, which is a college algebra/trig textbook that includes significant review in the first two chapters, ideal for someone who's forgotten a lot. 

Calculus for the Life Sciences I and II, which look ideal as a first exposure for someone more interested in those areas. 

Proofs and Concepts, designed for undergraduates but suitable for mathematically mature high school students as well. 

OpenIntro Statistics, a more advanced text that uses some calculus. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken the Wilson Hill Geometry class that uses Jurgensen? I read elsewhere that Jurgensen is a very difficult geometry curriculum. It is also used by the John Hopkins gifted program and Duke Tips.There are three levels of proofs with level C being the hardest. Can anyone who is familiar with this course at Wilson Hill verify how many levels of proofs the class uses? We've been very pleased with the Algebra class there. But we're going to pass on Geometry if the proofs are too advanced.

A few Hive kids have used WHA's Geo program. If I remember correctly, there is some assigning of the level C problems. I can't find any of the posts that I know exist where this information is shared. (The Duke TIP program that used to be sold but isn't any longer doesn't assign the C problems at all!) If you want more information, the teacher of Geo at Wilson Hill is very approachable. Her email should be Lsmith @ wilson hill academy . com (remove all the spaces).

There are videos (linked in this thread) for Jurgensen if you want to go it alone. 

MathInABox also uses Jurgensen. So does Memoria Press

• Like 1

Thank you for the info, RootAnn. We're also considering Veritas Press for Geometry. I'd love to hear recommendations from those who have used this program. Why are there 2 levels, regular Geometry and Saxon Geometry? Saxon is supposed to be the easiest of the two. I'm unfamiliar with Jacobs, but my experience with Saxon has been positive. All of my kids have used it at some point and their test scores are very high in math, for both ACT and standardized testing. I was just surprised to see Saxon listed as the course for struggling math students.

Has anyone taken the Wilson Hill Geometry class that uses Jurgensen? I read elsewhere that Jurgensen is a very difficult geometry curriculum. It is also used by the John Hopkins gifted program and Duke Tips.There are three levels of proofs with level C being the hardest. Can anyone who is familiar with this course at Wilson Hill verify how many levels of proofs the class uses? We've been very pleased with the Algebra class there. But we're going to pass on Geometry if the proofs are too advanced.

My dd started out in WH Geometry this year. It's a challenging class, mainly because of the pace/online format (for us). It was dd's first online class and she wasn't prepared to jump in and work as diligently as necessary for that class. Homework assignments do include Level C problems. From our experience, half or so of the Practice Problems for each section were assigned for homework but usually two sections were to be completed per class (2x/wk). I like the book and wouldn't hesitate to use the book with a bright student. The online format (2 long 90-min classes 2x/wk) is what did my dd in. In a classroom setting (5 days/wk) with smaller bits presented each day would have suited her much better. We've learned a lot this year concerning learning style.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

With permission from Quark, I'm adding Blue Tent Online math classes to this pinned resource

•  For families in California, Blue Tent math classes are a-g approved if taken through several homeschool charters listed on this FAQ page.
  • The Blue Tent OnLoan program offers students the option to borrow their textbook free for the year.

BLUE TENT ONLINE - ALGEBRA 1

Textbook: Elementary Algebra by Ron Larson. Ebook (hard copy option) offers embedded videos and demonstrations throughout.

Online Class: Yes. Online live classes. A Moodle classroom, ZOOM, and WebAssign. Full-year class with live instruction 2x/week (classes are also recorded for asynchronous viewing). Class description here. Resources, objectives, and demo video here.

Where to buy: Register at Blue Tent Online.

Teacher Guide/Additional Materials: WebAssign; Desmos.com; Blue Tent OnLoan

BLUE TENT ONLINE - ALGEBRA 2

Textbook: Intermediate Algebra by Ron Larson. Ebook (hard copy option). Ebook offers embedded videos and demonstrations throughout.

Online Class: Yes. Online live classes. A Moodle classroom, ZOOM, and WebAssign. Full-year class with live instruction 2x/week (classes are also recorded for asynchronous viewing). Class description here. Resources, objectives, and demo video here.

Teacher Guide/Additional Materials: WebAssign; Desmos.com; Blue Tent OnLoan

BLUE TENT ONLINE - GEOMETRY

Textbook: Glencoe Geometry

Online Class: Yes. Online live classes. A Moodle classroom, ZOOM, and WebAssign. Full-year class with live instruction 2x/week (classes are also recorded for asynchronous viewing). Class description here. Resources, objectives, and demo video here.

Where to buy: Register at Blue Tent Online.

Teacher Guide/Additional Materials: WebAssign; Geometer's Sketchpad; Desmos.com; Blue Tent OnLoan

BLUE TENT ONLINE - PRECALCULUS

Textbook: Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing Approach, 5th edition, by Ron Larson. Ebook offers embedded videos and demonstrations throughout.

Teacher Guide/Additional Materials: WebAssign; Geometer's Sketchpad; Desmos.com; Blue Tent OnLoan

BLUE TENT ONLINE - AP CALCULUS AB

Textbook: Calculus for AP by Ron Larson. Ebook with hard copy option. Ebook offers embedded videos and demonstrations throughout.

Teacher Guide/Additional Materials: WebAssign and other interactive resources; Blue Tent OnLoan

BLUE TENT ONLINE - AP CALCULUS BC

Textbook: Calculus for AP by Ron Larson. Ebook with hard copy option. Ebook offers embedded videos and demonstrations throughout.

Teacher Guide/Additional Materials: WebAssign and other interactive resources; Dr. Chung’s AP Calculus BC; Blue Tent OnLoan

Edited by Brigid in NC
Edited at the top to add a-g approval through some homeschool charters.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I haven't seen these recommended before, and I only stumbled on to them. 

I'm using MyOpenMath in a class this semester -- it's a free online learning system. They also have self-study courses available for pre-algebra up through pre-calculus, linked here: https://www.myopenmath.com/info/selfstudy.php

There are two options for trigonometry -- the CK-12 text teaches with right triangles first, the other with unit circle first. 

• 1 year later...

This does not appear to be overtly about Jurgensen but the topics seem to sort of line up.  FYI. https://www.youtube.com/user/MrHammysMathClass/playlists  I watched the video for Section 8.1. He doesn't go over the proofs, or explain the corrolaries, but he does explain the geometric mean in a way I found very helpful.  So perhaps where askmrh's videos are not enough, you could try this youtube channel?

Also, I own Duke TIP and unfortunately at least the one I have does not allow you to skip around. You either start from the beginning or you don't do it at all. I wanted to watch a video for a section in Chapter 6 and it wouldn't let me. 

• 4 months later...

Don’t forget about AP Statistics as a great option for math! Statistics taught well does more than teach students how to apply algorithms to solve problems and take a test in May— it teaches students how to really analyze information, learn the importance of supporting claims, and how to understand the nuances of the strength of different types of statistical investigations. The AP Stats curriculum puts a premium on requiring students to pay attention to context and to place answers into appropriate context, which is a valuable skill no matter what they do after high school. With a threshhold of algebra 2 as an entrance requirement, AP Stats is a different way to go for students looking for something different from the march through calculus, and it’s a good way to go for a STEM kid who wants to be prepared well for the sciences. 

https://www.aphomeschoolers.com/cgi-bin/choose.pl?class=stats

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Openstax has free textbooks for various college courses.

Their Elementary Algebra text covers a standard Algebra 1 course, and the Intermediate Algebra course Algebra 2.  There's also Prealgebra, Algebra and Trig, College Algebra, Pre-Calc and 3 semesters worth of Calculus to round it off.  Only drawback - the are no answer keys; you need a school email address for Instructor access to those.

There's also a High School Section with AP courses: History, Physics,  Micro/Macro Econ, and Stats.

• 2 months later...

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All levels of high school math - advanced math (multi variable, linear alg, matrix algebra, etc - depending on demand)

---

DD has been taking single variable calc with Dr. Heather Finotti this year and has really enjoyed the class. DD says the class is really well organized, and Dr. Finotti puts a lot of work into making sure students are well supported to learn the material.  The course uses a more mainstream textbook (Thomas) and is suitable for non-AoPS-type kids, but also incorporates AoPS-like problem solving for kids who choose the honors track. 

Dr. Finotti has taught for AoPS online in the past -- she was DD's geometry teacher when DD did AoPS Online Geo -- so, she is very familiar with "mathy" kids and AoPS style problem solving. 

In addition to the live class periods, she holds office hours twice a week and is very encouraging and socratic in her approach.

Dr. F is currently planning and developing course offerings for next year. If you're interested, you can contact her through her webpage to express interest or ask questions.

I have no affiliation with Dr. Finotti other than as a satisfied parent.  I'll post an update after DD sits for AP Calc in the spring, but I think the course has been very strong so far.

ETA:

if the other links aren't working, this one should:

https://www.loveofmath.com/

Edited by Porridge