Menu

Online class for Saxon Advanced Math?

I'm looking at doing this online for Buck next year for a couple of reasons.

1. He has gotten to point his math is nearly beyond mine

2. He wants to go back to B&M his junior year (next year is 10th) or take college classes, so I want him to start working with a non-parent teacher again.

But we like Saxon and have had really good luck with retention, understanding, etc. (please take your Saxon hate elsewhere ;) )

So, I'm on the hunt for an online class that uses Advanced Math. I've found a couple but am wondering if anyone has one they can give some feedback on!

One concern-- he will only be in 10th grade so I have no idea whether he'll be able to continue cruising through at his usual pace for math, or if it'll slow him down to a 3-4 semester instead.

And how this uncertainty would affect a class...

No info about online classes, but have you considered a math tutor to do the oversight?   This would only work if your son is able to work from the text (w/DVD?) himself or with your help, but I would think that meeting once a week could work.  He'd still be held accountable for his work, and he could get any questions answered.  I'd be hesitant to do a class online as the AM lessons take a considerable amount of time and some students move more quickly or slowly than others.  Maybe a work at your own pace online class?   

Yeah, if i could find a work at your own pace, that would probably be ideal...

So far as tutors, I haven't beat the bushes yet to see who might be hiding and willing were they asked, but I do know no one in the area actually *does* tutoring.

The issue with using Saxon in an online class is simply that it is very difficult for students to process 4-5 DIFFERENT lessons in one or even 2 settings.  Most online classes meet 1-2 times each week. Asynchronous (at your own pace) are easier for Saxon students-- they get just the sound bite they need to work one lesson, rinse and repeat.

I taught /tutored from Saxon long before online classes were even an option.  Once I started teaching classes I had to move to a different text just due to logistics (that and the fact that traditional texts can be used with a wider variety of learning styles).

Also note that the Advanced Math text often takes more than one year to complete.  Each lesson can easily take 1.5-2 hours for an above average student to complete.

Also note that the Advanced Math text often takes more than one year to complete.  Each lesson can easily take 1.5-2 hours for an above average student to complete.

Art Reed recommends doing this level over 2 years.    In his book he said that he knew only one student who did well with it in just a year, and she was the daughter of a math professor. 

The issue with using Saxon in an online class is simply that it is very difficult for students to process 4-5 DIFFERENT lessons in one or even 2 settings.  Most online classes meet 1-2 times each week. Asynchronous (at your own pace) are easier for Saxon students-- they get just the sound bite they need to work one lesson, rinse and repeat.

I taught /tutored from Saxon long before online classes were even an option.  Once I started teaching classes I had to move to a different text just due to logistics (that and the fact that traditional texts can be used with a wider variety of learning styles).

IIRC, the Virtual Homeschool Group was doing several days a week in their live Saxon classes, which was one of the reasons we went with ayop as that fit our schedule better. The only classes that show up in my daughter's interface are the ones for which she is registered, so I can't tell for sure at the moment. The selection of levels and schedule changes each year, though, for the live classes depending on volunteer availability. I don't remember whether Advanced Mathematics was offered this year or not.

I did ask VHG last year whether they planned to offer Advanced Mathematics over two years on Art Reed's schedule, but the answer was not at this point because the ayop could be stretched out if a family wanted that. I think there are plans to build a calculus course, but I'm not sure of the schedule for that, since, again, it's entirely volunteer.

My son has taken Saxon Algebra 2 DIVE online class with Dr. Shormann this year. He still watches the DIVE lessons during the week digitally, but has to submit his homework and has class once a week where they take quizzes and ask questions. He can also email Dr. Shormann anytime with questions. It has been a great fit for us. He will take the Advanced Math Class in the fall.

Karen,

I've glanced at VHSG a few times, but nothing more. A few days ago, I signed Buck up for Alg2 ayop, just to see what it was like.

So far, he is rather enjoying it. Im sure part of that is the novelty of something new, but this is a distinct option for next year!