Menu

Asheville, NC vs Portland, OR?

staceyobu

No, but a ton of us live in Portland if you have any specific questions. :)

DH wants to move there.  He actually made it to a final round of interviews recently (but didn't get the job).  He's considering restarting the job hunt.

We basically live in a landlocked, extremely conservative area of Texas and kinda want something different.

I'm just having a hard time making the decision to upend our lives.

DH wants to move there. He actually made it to a final round of interviews recently (but didn't get the job). He's considering restarting the job hunt.

We basically live in a landlocked, extremely conservative area of Texas and kinda want something different.

I'm just having a hard time making the decision to upend our lives.

We moved from Texas to Hickory, NC eight years ago and it was a fabulous decision! I love Asheville. If we ever move from Hickory, it would be there. Gorgeous mountains, lots of outdoor activities, an interesting, bohemian kind of atmosphere...lots to do. Coming from Texas, you will enjoy the cooler temps, not to mention the four seasons!!

Asheville is very pretty, it is about an hour from larger towns but it is very near some pretty state parks if you like doing a lot of hiking, fishing, and things like that. It is a much, much, smaller town than Portland but kind of similar in attitude.

It does get more snow than the rest of NC but not a lot, it is still pretty far south. I wouldn't mind living there but I like being near outdoor activities. If you would prefer a smaller, crunchy town in the middle of some of the prettiest parts of the US you will like it.

We live about an hour from Asheville in Greenville, SC. 

We have visited Asheville. The mountains are gorgeous and there is so much to do, both outdoors and culturally. Outdoors, there is skiing, hiking, rock climbing, horseback riding, or just driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are many waterfalls in the area as well. Asheville is a kind of arts/cultural center. Foodie paradise. http://www.exploreasheville.com/things-to-do/

You would be 4 hours from Charleston, SC, which is on the Atlantic Ocean and is a beautiful, historic town.

ETA: It's also about 2 hours from Charlotte.

I moved away from Portland a year and a half ago. I lived there a long time and I will probably always miss it a little, even though I'm in the right place for me now. Portland is great in many ways, but the people in charge of the economy do not have wide vision and I don't think there will ever be a really good economy there, like ever. That is one reason we were willing to move away. 

I'm quite upset over the situation with the governor. I waited on him consistently over the years at the hotel I used to work at. He is a person with a lot of character, but his ex wife was a real piece of work and it looks like the new woman in his life caused trouble. Some people are not good at picking and should just be single, but I'll stop there. The truth is that so many people in authority in Oregon are not great, and yet he is in trouble. It is not right.