Menu

Savings Catcher / Bluebird card

Seasider

Ok, I have accumulated $22 on my SC and I am thinking of using it this week. The app mentions that it's doubled if I put it on a Bluebird card.

Back in a previous SC thread, several of you mentioned doing this. Can you tell me more? I really don't want a credit card, and don't plan to use it for anything else, but if it's a clean way to double my money, I'd do it. When I google Bluebird card, all kinds of info shows up, good, bad & ugly.

Please share your experience and recommendations. Thanks!

I have no real advice on the Bluebird card, but I just got an email from Walmart that they're changing the program.  They're taking out some departments, notably produce and bakery, and no longer using drug stores to price match. Around here, CVS runs really good sales. That and produce sales are where most of my savings have come from. 

Oh well...I figured this program was too good to last.  This is just the beginning of the scale back.

I have one :) we only use it now for the savings catcher app. It's a PREPAID credit card. The money from the savings catcher app can only be used at Walmart (it's under Walmart bucks). The blue bird app can be a pain sometimes (as with any app). I haven't had an issue at all with any of it though.

Also near September (at least last year) you can save 10-15 cents off per gallon of gas when using your bluebird card at Murphy's. The only pain with that is going into Walmart to load the card before hand

I haven't used it yet but I just got the card.  I "bought" the card at Walmart (they normally cost but are free until bluebird stops doubling - sometime this month).  I had to put some money on it when I bought it so I put $1 on it.  Came home and registered it and transferred my savings catcher to it.   A few days later I got my actual card in the mail. 

I have no real advice on the Bluebird card, but I just got an email from Walmart that they're changing the program. They're taking out some departments, notably produce and bakery, and no longer using drug stores to price match. Around here, CVS runs really good sales. That and produce sales are where most of my savings have come from.

Oh well...I figured this program was too good to last. This is just the beginning of the scale back.

Half my money back comes from cvs, walgreens, etc. bummer. I always get a few cents back on bananas too.

I haven't used it yet but I just got the card. I "bought" the card at Walmart (they normally cost but are free until bluebird stops doubling - sometime this month). I had to put some money on it when I bought it so I put $1 on it. Came home and registered it and transferred my savings catcher to it. A few days later I got my actual card in the mail.

Is bluebird going to stop doubling for new customers only or everyone?

Ironically, I read that email about SC changes after I started this thread. 😠 Bummer. Much of what I get back is from drug store comps.

I suppose I won't mess with the bb card. I'll just happily claim my twenty bucks and count myself lucky if I happen to accrue any more.

Thanks for the input.

I scanned receipts from yesterday. It used to compare 38 competitors, it's down to 17. It did still compare Dollar General but outside of produce most of my savings came from comparing prices at CVS. The produce will hurt, Kroger and Meijer usually have pretty good produce prices. Walmart will still price match, it just means I have to pay attention to sales fliers better.

Last month with the doubling onto the Bluebird card I got almost $30 back.

The email said they'll compare to dollar stores, but not drug stores. Like other posters, CVS is where most of my savings came from.  And produce.  The annoying thing about that is that the stores that are being matched with lower produce prices have better quality produce than Walmart. I just don't always want to take the time to go to different stores, and price matching by hand is time consuming also.  

I really preferred the old days- which in our area meant pre-2010- when our local Walmart got the local ads and weekly changed their shelf prices to match the competitor's ads.  Employees could sign up for price shopping hours and their job was to get the local ad for a store and then change the prices in Walmart to match. They had special signs to show they were lowering prices to match, and they had to set the prices to expire on the same day as their competitors ended their sale.