Menu

Derek Owens AP Cal

Hi,

Wondering for those of you who have experience with DO AP Cal, does this course meet/exceed the requirements for AP Cal AB?   Have your kids done well on the AP Cal exam using DO as their main spine?  Do you recommend any other supplementary helps?   My 16 year old is doing calculus at the local high school, but I'm not altogether sure that the students will be working towards getting classroom mark or doing well on the AP exam and I'm trying to plan a strategy for oldest  that is sustainable and able to be worked concurrently with the classroom curriculum.  

Thanks, Tricia

• Like 1

Ds absolutely loves DO.  He's taken the following courses: Physics (9th), PreCalc (10th) and currently in AP Calc AB.  He is enjoying the course but he won't take the exam until May so we don't have any BTDT advice.

DO is very responsive to questions so you could email him if you need more info/advice.

Hope others chime in...

• Like 3

My daughter got a 5 on the Calc AB AP exam after Derek Owens course. She went on to get an A in Calc 2 at our local university too. DO is a good course

Did the course include any test prep or would a student need to work through a prep book as well?

We're considering DO for next year if dd takes Arabic at the university instead of starting the calculus sequence...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I am just now seeing the f/u question and I am obviously way too late to be of any help to Luckymama.  For future readers though, DO did not provide any specific test prep; my daughter did some work from a prep book, as she does for all AP courses (except AP Eng Lit and Lang :-) )

As for the recent question, my daughter is pretty mathy, and no, she did not find it terribly difficult.  On the other hand, she has not found university math courses to be difficult either.

• Like 2

Sorry to chime in late here, but dd2 took DO's AP Calculus class in 9th and scored a 5 on the AP.  After finishing the class that April, she used the eIMACS test-prep materials leading up to the May exam.  Like Gr8lander's dd, our dd found Derek's class very doable and not too time-consuming, but she has done just as well in her university level classes thus far (Calc 1, 2, 3, and Linear Alg.)  We were very happy and will definitely have our other dd's take his class in the future!

• Like 3