Menu

Washable area rugs?

linguistmama

I assume these would have to be dry cleaned even though they say machine washable?  How would it fit?  Are there laundromats with machines big enough to wash a 5 x 8 rug?  I ask because we would like to get rid of our carpet eventually, but we live in a cold climate and might want a rug.  I don't like carpet because it can't be cleaned well and wouldn't want to just exchange carpet for a rug that gets yucky.

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/machine-washable-area-rugs

I had an area rug about that size that I bought at Target when we replaced our carpet with laminate. It fit in my front loader, and I'd wash it maybe every six months and hang it to dry in the backyard. It was fantastic when I had potty training children to be able to throw it in the washer when there was an accident. Eventually the nonstick backing on it did begin to degrade and the edges began to fray, but it lasted a good 7/8 years. It had a pretty flexible backing, though. I also had another area rug that size that was stiffer and would have been impossible to get in the washing machine.

• Like 3

I have a couple of washable area rugs in our RV.  I think they're somewhere between 4 x 6 and 5 x 7 (yes, they're an odd measurement).  Both are thinner than what I think of as normal area rugs.  I can easily fit one at a time in my front loader, and I'm pretty sure a 5 x 8 of the same type/thickness would be easily washable in my machine.

I use my carpet steam cleaner on the thicker area rugs we have in our house.  It works great.  I clean the rugs right where they are, roll them up, carry them out on the patio and spread them out to dry.

• Like 1

I have rugs that I wash all the time. While they do fit in my front loader, I prefer to take them to the laundromat. We live in a rural area and have chickens, dogs, and a boy child. I don't want the nasty stuff that gets dragged in going into my washing machine. I buy the kind that don't have a backing on them and use rubber slip mats under them. Those I do wash in cold water in the machine.

• Like 1

I have rugs that I wash all the time. While they do fit in my front loader, I prefer to take them to the laundromat. We live in a rural area and have chickens, dogs, and a boy child. I don't want the nasty stuff that gets dragged in going into my washing machine. I buy the kind that don't have a backing on them and use rubber slip mats under them. Those I do wash in cold water in the machine.

Ooh, rubber slip mats underneath makes sense.  Then we could have a rug that would be thinner and bendable enough to fit in a washing machine.  Thank you everyone!

I've been known to hose down area rugs on my driveway.  Even large expensive wool Karistan types, though mostly just the smaller, thinner ones, as they're easier to move myself.  I have a rug-cleaning machine that helps get the water out and the sun and dry climate do the rest.

• 1 year later...

Hi  isaac_megan,

Even I wash my rugs in the front loader machine. These days rugs are easily washable, at times I use vaccum cleaner to remove the hair of my pet and the dirt that comes from his paws.

My rug is no that big so I take it outside and shake it or beat it vigorously to remove dirt and grit. :hurray:

But these days there are many techniques that dry cleaners use to remove the dirt from the washable rug. I just recently shopped a washable rug from http://www.classichostess.com/hidden-categories/manufacturer/lorena-canals and they gave me a discount voucher on it. :)

Edited by Clasichostess

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, MercyA said:

I adore these rugs: https://hookandloom.com/browse/flatweave-eco-cotton-rugs/ and they wash up nicely in my washing machine. My 5' x 8' does fit in my machine, but just barely. They do shrink some during the first wash and dry (the website notes how much on average).

I'm glad for Spammer McSpammersons because I'm looking for another runner for my bathroom and not finding one I like. This link provides some real possibilities! Thank you! Do you know what their return policy is?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

I'm glad for Spammer McSpammersons because I'm looking for another runner for my bathroom and not finding one I like. This link provides some real possibilities! Thank you! Do you know what their return policy is?

I did return some rugs to them years ago, just because I decided to do something different with the space, and they refunded my payment to my credit card. They do offer inexpensive swatches if you want to see the colors up close before ordering. 

From their website: 

What is your return policy? We have a no-hassle 30-day return policy. We ship most rugs with pre-printed return labels to save you time and trouble.

Long-term Warranty: We make our rugs to last. If you have treated the rug properly and followed the care instructions and you experience any problem with construction or durability of a Hook & Loom rug beyond the 30-day validity of the pre-printed return label, please contact us. We will make arrangements for replacement if possible, otherwise, we’ll provide a refund to you.

Hope you find something you like!