Menu

Asking for boardie help in developing our online "home school convention"...

Folks,

Remember this thread? http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540652-remember-all-those-discussions-about-conference-alternatives/

I'm working hard at developing summer mini-seminars for parents that will be convenient, affordable, education-centered, and all that other good stuff. I'll be presenting; Julie Bogart, Jim Weiss, Cheryl Swope, Andrew Kern, Richard Rusczyk, and others will be taking part, and I'm continuing to recruit, so more details soon.

I could use help on two fronts.

First, we need a title. I'm calling the overall project Summer Sessions (Sponsored by The Well-Trained Mind Academy), but that lacks interest. And pizazz. And, well, pretty much anything distinctive. Any ideas?

Second, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this suggestion from ErinE: that we invite experienced board members to present their areas of expertise. So, if you're a long-time home educator (I'll allow that phrase to be open to some interpretation) and you feel that you've gained some hard-earned wisdom and experience to share with others--PM me here on the forums, and give me some sense of what you might present. I'd very much like to incorporate your hard-won knowledge into these seminars.

Hoping to hear from a number of you,

Susan

H.E.R.O.S

Homeschool Education and Resource Online Seminar

(the S could stand for Session as well)

Good luck!  Thanks so much for putting this together.  :)

ETA:  Homeschool Educator Resources Online Seminar

btw, I don't mind what it's called.  I'm attending anyhow.  Accept credit cards?  lol 

• Like 7

Guest exzackley

Really looking forward to the summer sessions! Thinking about a name...

Someday it would be fun to give people a kit for organizing local in-person conferences/get togethers in their cities. You could allow people to apply for key roles to put together a local event and pick the folks who look like they'd be able to pull it off. I've seen this work in other settings. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BarCamp

Using the "unconference" format would make organizing the conferences easy. 

"LIVE at the HIVE" Educator Symposium

I love this!  "Virtual Educator Symposium" might better capture the unique venue.  "Virtual Colloquium" might work, too.

I am so thrilled that you're working so hard at this, SWB.  And I hope you're able to recruit some presenters from our very own ranks! 

• Like 5

How about:  Classical Home Educators Summer Sessions (or Seminars)?  I like its acronym: CHESS.  It works with what appears to be the theme of the sessions such as preparing for high school, tackling writing and science, etc. and it's a good analogy to homeschooling in general.  You need to have an overall plan or strategy but you also need to be responsive to the other player's moves, both on a daily basis and long term.  The game can be very long, sometimes frustrating, sometimes rewarding but overall it's satisfying to play. 

However, if you decide to host some winter sessions, the acronym would  become CHEWS.  :glare:

Maybe someone could think of a different word that starts with S to replace "summer".  I keep coming back to Classical Home Educators Strategy Sessions but there might be a better word choice for the first S in the acronym. 

BTW, I am looking forward to these seminars.  Thank you for working so hard to pull it together!

• Like 2

In addition to those already mentioned, I'd love to hear from Jane in NC, Regentrude, Corraleno, Nan in Mass, and Creekland - mostly lots of particulars about how they did/are doing high school, but also about their individual specialties (math, physics, etc.) and a homeschool high school setting.

ETA:  I wonder if this might work as a panel discussion (especially if one or more participants are unwilling/unable to make a whole solo presentation).  I'll leave that to you and they to decide.  ;)

• Like 11

I would love it if Ruth (lewelma) would talk more about developing science projects over the course of a year. I've read her wonderful posts on the topic but it would be great to hear more. Here's an example of one of her threads. I think there was also a petition at one point to have her write a book.

8 has put out a wonderful writing program but I would like to hear more about how she has challenged each of her kids and customized programs to ensure they were each working at the highest level of rigor they could handle. 

• Like 8

I can't wait! I don't have any name ideas, sorry. I'm happy to see Cheryl Swope will be presenting! My main issue is getting my special needs student through high school and ready for college. He won't finish high school in the traditional 4 years - it will probably end up being 5 - 6 years. I'm interested in any special needs talks, but especially regarding the older student.

I would especially love hearing from a boardie who has successfully homeschooled their s/n child through high school and into college. 

Thanks for putting this together!!!

• Like 7

I can't wait! I don't have any name ideas, sorry. I'm happy to see Cheryl Swope will be presenting! My main issue is getting my special needs student through high school and ready for college. He won't finish high school in the traditional 4 years - it will probably end up being 5 - 6 years. I'm interested in any special needs talks, but especially regarding the older student.

I would especially love hearing from a boardie who has successfully homeschooled their s/n child through high school and into college. 

Thanks for putting this together!!!

I'm in the same boat as dsmith.  I have a son who because of his special needs, we are spreading high school out over 5-6 years.  So, I would love to hear some advice from those who have gone before us.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Jane in NC and Kathy in Richmond for math education

Nan in Mass for high school literature study (using TWEM methods while sitting on a dock and feeding ducks)....actually, Nan could talk about a lot of stuff such as science study, art skills study, preparing for post-secondary, etc. etc. etc.

• Like 2

THE SITE IS LIVE!!!

And I'm still interested in booking more parent-to-parent sessions. If you want to present...message me!

Go admire...

http://wtmonlineconference.com/

And here's my exhortation...Please let other home educators (and potential home educators!) know about the conference by passing the link along, posting it on your Facebook page, mentioning it on your blog, or Tweeting it. If you do Tweet about the conference, use the hashtag #WTMOC.

I'm jumping a bit late in the game.  I just found out about it and have been posting all over facebook like crazy.  But more than anything else, I would really like to have seasoned boardies present.  Here's my wish list:

Quark

lewelma

Nan

Kathy

8FillTheHeart

Also, will there be some kind of discount if you sign up for multiple sessions, or will it be $20 per session regardless?   And another thing, will there be a way to interact with the speakers during the sessions and have questions answered?

THE SITE IS LIVE!!!

And I'm still interested in booking more parent-to-parent sessions. If you want to present...message me!

Go admire...

http://wtmonlineconference.com/

And here's my exhortation...Please let other home educators (and potential home educators!) know about the conference by passing the link along, posting it on your Facebook page, mentioning it on your blog, or Tweeting it. If you do Tweet about the conference, use the hashtag #WTMOC.

SWB, I am so very excited that you are giving your two new talks about burnout and homeschooling the good kids and the odd ones out as part of this conference! I missed the Cincinnati convention last year for the first time ever and was so disappointed not to have heard your new sessions. And when you told me you weren't coming back to Cincy this year, I thought I had missed out once again. (All though I completely understand why you won't be in attendance this year.) This online conference is the perfect solution. And I love the tag line: Giving a Platform to Multiple Points of View, Focusing on Education. That really sums up my ideal homeschooling convention. Bravo!

And hey, you found a way to give a talk without being interrupted by noisy babies, obnoxious loudspeaker announcements, and wandering kids with balloons...  :D

• Like 3

Would we be allowed to organize local "watching parties" with our friends, where we pay for a single registration and split the cost, but all of us watch together?  Or would each "watcher" need to register separately?  If "watching parties" are allowed, that would greatly help with the cost.

• Like 1

I'm registered! Yay!

One thing I noticed (in case anybody's listening): I clicked on the sessions I wanted on the registration page and then was able to click on "view cart" to check out. But I decided to go back and look at something on one of the sessions, and then I couldn't get back to my cart. I wound up adding a session I didn't want so I could get the "view cart" link again. (I deleted it before I checked out, so no biggie.)

Anyway, don't know if that's a glitch with the site or my brain. :laugh: Just throwing it out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...