Menu

Grumbling -- No spring break for us this year

I was just looking through the calendar to see when we could take a break from school, and it looks almost impossible! Ds14 is taking online classes from three different providers. He also does activities that follow the local school calendar. In April, two of the online providers have a spring break, but they are on different weeks, and both are different from the local school. The third provider has no spring break at all.

It feels especially difficult because he never got a true December break. He was in a theater production that took 20 hours a week for the last six weeks of the year, right through the holidays. He didn't do any school for the last two weeks of the year, but holiday events, the play, and catching up on sleep took up most of the time. No "vacation". Then he spent the first couple of weeks of January working hard to catch up on school that he'd gotten behind on during the show.

I mean, of course we'll find a way to work it out. The first week of April, he'll have no Class 1, but he can continue to do the work (hopefully they will have posted it). Then the next week could be mostly a vacation. We can drop all of his at-home work, he'll have no Class 2 at all and will just need to attend he online session for Class 1. But Class 3 will march on regardless, and I'm doubtful he'd be able to work ahead much.

I didn't consider this issue when choosing the classes. And they have all been great classes for him, so I'm not sure it would have influenced our decision. I just think it would be really good for him to have a true break before summer. He is not a kid who thrives on being busy all the time. He needs downtime every day. A week completely off now and then has always been very rejuvenating for him.

I remember being on vacation -- away from home -- when someone was still doing online schooling for an hour every day.  It still mostly felt like vacation, but still....  Oh well.  It's definitely harder to work around high school schedules!  Maybe good prep for college though.

The one year that the breaks all lined up, we all had extremely bad colds.

Since then, they never do.  I try to keep it lighter when the heavier classes are off, but the reality is that there is no real break.  We always have something we need to do then, or a subject that needs some catch-up.

That's pretty much how it was for me though in college.  If I came home at all, I'd be home for just a few days other than December and summers, and then I was working.

Thanks for the sympathy.

Ds has been sick for nearly a week, and it's the same thing. The work still has to get done, no matter how you feel. Of course you have to do that to some extent in B&M schools as well, but at least then you can stay home from school and just keep up with the homework. With online classes, nearly all the work is "homework", so you there's nothing you can skip when you're sick. That's what got me looking at the calendar and thinking about really needing a BREAK soon.

Ah well. As you all said, it's good practice for college.