Menu

R&S English Placement Question

My daughter is 14 and hasn't had a ton of grammar.  She writes and speaks well but we'd both like to do Rod & Staff English.  I'm just not sure where to place her.  I'm thinking 6 might be ok, but I've seen some say 5 would be a better place to start.  Help please?

Thanks,

I think "Progressing With Courage" (6th) would be fine. It reviews all the parts of speech, covers some sentence stuff (agreement, basic parts, coherence, whatnot), metaphors, similes, personification, and reviews previously taught skills in writing and using helps (e.g., concordance, dictionary, etc.). "Building Securely" (7th) takes a big jump in writing as well as becoming more complex in grammar.

Anyway, I think "Following the Plan" might be too simple for a 14yo. :-)

I read somewhere on this forum last year that the even years are the most important for Rod and Staff English (Gr. 4, 6, 8, 10), so those should be studied the most. Sorry, but I don't remember who said it. It seemed to be a consensus in the threads I was reading. We missed a year of grammar and picked up in Gr. 4 and 6 for two of my boys (skipping Gr. 3 and 5), but my older son is doing Gr. 8 rather than skipping it to do Gr. 9 this year. All are doing fine.

That would seem to indicate starting with Gr. 6 for your daughter would be a good idea.